POSSIBLE fix for the tilted horizontal issue on P4

Reaction score
Hi guys, I MAY HAVE found a fix (cross fingers and touch wood) for the tilted horizon issue with P4.

Did you notice that there is another calibration option on DJI Assistant software on PC/MAC?

I don't know if that relates in any way to the horizontal tilt issue we're experiencing but after performing it, my issue with horizontal level is not there anymore...for now anyway.

Once again, I can't say that this is the fix for this issue. All I'm saying is that I've used this and the issue was gone from that point on until now.

I guess at the very least it won't hurt to try? [emoji1][emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Jussaguy
Hi guys, I MAY HAVE found a fix (cross fingers and touch wood) for the tilted horizon issue with P4.

Did you notice that there is another calibration option on DJI Assistant software on PC/MAC?

I don't know if that relates in any way to the horizontal tilt issue we're experiencing but after performing it, my issue with horizontal level is not there anymore...for now anyway.

Once again, I can't say that this is the fix for this issue. All I'm saying is that I've used this and the issue was gone from that point on until now.

Absolutely agree that not everyone is taking care of the tools at their disposal to make sure they have their desired calibrations and that everything is veritably steady, but also being able to more fine tune the gain and exp settings. These settings will literally set the feel of the craft for you.

What additional calibration option are you referring to ?

The calibration in the software is for the front facing obstacle avoidance system, it displays a pattern on the screen and lines up with the pattern.

The calibration in the software is for the front facing obstacle avoidance system, it displays a pattern on the screen and lines up with the pattern.
That's the front and bottom camera sensor, that honestly should have nothing to do with the Horizon alignment on the camera but it's definitely worth a shot. Personally I've calibrated every sensor on the bird including that one on the DJI assistant but truthfully I haven't had any serious problems with my P4 from day one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sim597
That's a great little calibration tool, I found it the other day after upgrading the firmware, I too wondered how many ppl even knew about this newer option, I guess it's only new because of the P4. I then came across it again in the manual on the GO app.

If you hold the button on the bottom of the remote while flying and scroll the camera wheel on the right side you can correct it in flight also. It's the number 2 button on the right under side of the remote I think

Reactions: Jussaguy
If you hold the button on the bottom of the remote while flying and scroll the camera wheel on the right side you can correct it in flight also. It's the number 2 button on the right under side of the remote I think

What? Is this true? Ok like on mine I think that's how I move camera all the way level forward or down, stock setup I believe, if this is true, it would be really nice, I have my doubts. This is the only issue I've had with my phantom 4, or 3P
I've only had mine a month, and a month for the P3 and have over 50miles covered and 15.5hrs. 99.5 percent of those have been flawless, but this issue pops up and seems to be new to this bird, I don't remember it on the P3 and when this one was new. I'm going to check that, and if your right, or it helps that's HUGE, because I think more ppl have this but don't notice it.

Didn't know that. Thanks. Sort of a short cut to that +- gimbal setting. Cool.

Reactions: wingtip85
Did you get a chance to try it out? I have not yet, so it's not really a recal, it's a shortcut to the adjustment stage? Still, that's nice to know, of course when it's off and adjusted, it'll be off as soon a we yaw again.

I haven't had an issue with my gimbal yet, knock on wood, but I've seen others that have. They need to incorporate a tool the Osmo has on the P4s.
477ce4591d517c880f93984a09464972.jpg

You can adjust the level of the gimbal on the Osmo with the Calibrate Horizon option. Don't know why this wouldn't work on the Phantoms.

Last edited:
I haven't had an issue with my gimbal yet, knock on wood, but I've seen others that have. They need to incorporate a tool the Osmo has on the P4s.
477ce4591d517c880f93984a09464972.jpg

You can adjust the level of the gimbal on the Osmo with the Calibrate Horizon option. Don't know why this wouldn't work on the Phantoms.

It can and does, but people just want a straight gimbal out of the box. It's not completely unreasoable to expect a $1400 camera (granted with a flying machine) to work perfect out of the box.

I know a lot of people are saying it's part of the territory. As someone that has bought A LOT of cameras, no, no it's not. That said, hasn't the gimbal roll always been there?

Just picked up an iPad Pro 9.7. Interested in seeing how it works.

It can and does, but people just want a straight gimbal out of the box. It's not completely unreasoable to expect a $1400 camera (granted with a flying machine) to work perfect out of the box.

I know a lot of people are saying it's part of the territory. As someone that has bought A LOT of cameras, no, no it's not. That said, hasn't the gimbal roll always been there?

Just picked up an iPad Pro 9.7. Interested in seeing how it works.
I agree, you shouldn't have too adjust it. But if they would add this small feature from the Osmo it would make things easier. The Osmo is way to easy. In the pic above, all you have to do is hit the plus or minus and it rolls the horizon left or right in small increments. Super fast and easy. You can fix it on the fly.
Enjoy the Pro. I fly on the air2 which I believe is the same size. I love it. My wife just got the Pro 12.9 and I just got an adapter to mount that monster on my RC. Can't wait to use it.

Yes, but the binding of the gimbal ribbon cable, causing a mild clicking noise when manually rolling the camera up and down with the power off, can sometimes prevent the adjustment from sticking. You adjust it, and it reverts right back, when you release the button! Happened to me just the other day!

Yes, but it won't show you the numerical degrees of adjustment, and the green crosshairs will not show up until you also rotate the right scroll wheel while pressing and holding the right button on the bottom. It does help on the fly, while ruining the continuous video during the adjustment, assuming it sticks. On mine it just kept popping back to the original setting!

I agree, you shouldn't have too adjust it. But if they would add this small feature from the Osmo it would make things easier. The Osmo is way to easy. In the pic above, all you have to do is hit the plus or minus and it rolls the horizon left or right in small increments. Super fast and easy. You can fix it on the fly.
Enjoy the Pro. I fly on the air2 which I believe is the same size. I love it. My wife just got the Pro 12.9 and I just got an adapter to mount that monster on my RC. Can't wait to use it.

The Adjust Gimbal Roll setting with degrees is already there on both the P4 and the P3 in DJI GO. See below. It's been there at least since last fall in the DJI GO app. This is from 2.72 on iOS.
image.png

image.png

Reactions: Redevil75

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20