Possible Compass Issues

Reaction score
So today is day two of owning my Phantom 3 Prof. Flew at least 8 times yesterday and 3-4 times this morning. Just went out in the desert on lunch break and had issues. I calibrated it prior to take off, did the auto takeoff. and immediately it would not hold its position and started to sway around. Luckily it was only 3' off the ground so I was able to catch it. Thought maybe the area had some magnetism issues so I drove another 5 miles away. Once again recalibrated to the new spot, Compass said it was normal and got the "Safe to Fly". Took off and exactly the same thing?

Anybody have any thoughts? probably have no more than 2 hours flight time on it so far, all flawless flights!

Thanks for your input!!!

what firmware are you on?

Try calibrating the IMU.

when I got the phantom 3 yesterday I downloaded and successfully installed
Phantom 3 Professional Firmware v1.2.6

I'll have to look up what calibrating the IMU is and how to do it.
Thanks,

I have not tried auto takeoff yet but have read where some people that do have issues like yours.

Personally, I love to take off and land manually and I believe my flying skills have benefited from this.

Thanks Guys, I have been doing both auto and manual takeoffs. I always land manually. Quick question after reading some from above. After my firmware update, I deleted the firmware off the micro sd card? Should I have kept it on there? I figured it didn't need it and was taking up my video and picture storage space.

The only reason to keep it on is if there is a battery firmware update.

did the auto takeoff. and immediately it would not hold its position and started to sway around. .. Once again recalibrated to the new spot, Compass said it was normal and got the "Safe to Fly". Took off and exactly the same thing?
It might be something or it might be nothing and might have nothing to do with the compass.
More info needed to really help.
GPS accuracy will allow for a small amount of movement and down low the VPS might have been responsible.
How much was it swaying around?
Did it hold position if you took it up 20 feet?
Sounds like you are doing too much compass calibration.
Get a good calibration and as long as you are within 100 miles and things are working well, just leave it.
After my firmware update, I deleted the firmware off the micro sd card? Should I have kept it on there?
Yes .. no need for the file once it's done it's job.

I have not tried auto takeoff yet but have read where some people that do have issues like yours.

Personally, I love to take off and land manually and I believe my flying skills have benefited from this.
Right I cant believe there was that much demand for these 2 features that DJI made them part of the app

Meta4, i think you are exactly right. I think i might be calibrating too much. I was under the assumption that everytime i turn it on to fly i need to calibrate. Novice mistake. I went ahead and calibrated the IMU and it worked. Thanks again for all your help guys. Happy flying!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.