Possible $1,437 Fine for Padres Drone Incident

"He felt horrible. He did not intend on hurting anybody."

What does this have to do with anything? If you're doing something so incredibly stupid and illegal, your intentions have no relevance. There is no sympathy or understanding due here. I hope they make an example out of this clown.

Reactions: Bendix and macoman
If that's the fine, he's getting away easy.

Reactions: Bendix
Wow... that was a wicked crash and an incredibly fortunate point of impact.

I can't comprehend that level of stupidity. I don't need regulations and NFZ's and FW updates and GPS limitations to tell me that's a really idiotic idea...

Maybe that's just me.

He should face 3 days at least in jail. What he did it's totally careless.

[QUOTE........Want to stop that nonsense? How about (2) years in jail and a $140,000 fine? Pain is an excellent teaching aid.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more - no question - the self-focused irresponsible types are going to screw it up for all of us legit drone operators.

Reactions: macoman
[QUOTE........Want to stop that nonsense? How about (2) years in jail and a $140,000 fine? Pain is an excellent teaching aid.

Couldn't agree more - no question - the self-focused irresponsible types are going to screw it up for all of us legit drone operators.[/QUOTE]
I would like to see higher fines for that type of behavior. In the middle of a game and flying his drone in front of everyone. Actions like that should be punished with the maximum level allow by law.

I can't agree with the maximum penalty. Nobody was hurt, sentencing should correspond to the damage caused.

Maximum penalty should be reserved for death.

It needs to be painful (the fine that is :rolleyes:) and the word needs to go out that people acting in this manner will be actively pursued and prosecuted. While most might fly responsible because it is the right and smart thing to do, others like this guy aren't going to stop until it becomes very obvious that doing so can and will get very expensive.

Reactions: Bendix and sar104
It needs to be painful (the fine that is :rolleyes:) and the word needs to go out that people acting in this manner will be actively pursued and prosecuted. While most might fly responsible because it is the right and smart thing to do, others like this guy aren't going to stop until it becomes very obvious that doing so can and will get very expensive.

Want to stop that nonsense? How about (2) years in jail and a $140,000 fine? Pain is an excellent teaching aid.

I have to agree - the only way to stop this kind of behavior before it leads to draconian legislation is to make an example in cases of egregious violations. This is one of those cases.

I can't agree with the maximum penalty. Nobody was hurt, sentencing should correspond to the damage caused.

Maximum penalty should be reserved for death.

While I don't think this kid should go to jail for life I do think he needs a fairly painful fine for being stupid and $1500 isn't nearly enough. Call it STUPID tax and make it hurt.

If some examples aren't made early on what's to stop people from doing stupid things and ultimately someone will get hurt.

Just saying what? The drunks sentence will be substantially less in your example than it would be if they wreck and someone is hurt or it's a second offense..

Making an example of the first offender doesn't happen in real life.

I have a lot of respect for Judges, it is their job to keep the sentence commensurate with the crime.

Just saying what? The drunks sentence will be substantially less in your example than it would be if they wreck and someone is hurt or it's a second offense..

Making an example of the first offender doesn't happen in real life.

I have a lot of respect for Judges, it is their job to keep the sentence commensurate with the crime.

Fair enough...

Since I don't know all the levels of punitive action that can be taken for drunk driving, let's go with speeding instead.

Here in Ontario, at 50km/h over the limit it's considered stunt driving and the penalty is roadside seizure of your vehicle for a week, license suspension for a week, and a $2K-10K fine, along with 7 points and the resulting insurance premium adjustment.

And no one got hurt.

Remember, I said, I can't agree to the maximum penalty. Certainly the pilot deserves more penalty than a pilot that violated the same law with an empty stadium (not sure if that would be an offense).

When I was a Police Officer we would have called that kind of driving reckless driving. Similar penalty, maybe a little less fine, no seizure, and a longer suspension.

Reactions: BigAl07
Fundamentally, I don't disagree that he deserves a measure less than the "maximum", given that no one was actually hurt.

But... there isn't much more this guy could have done worse OTHER than actually hurting someone.

Just as much as driving at 50km/h over on a deserted road at 2:00am vs driving 50km/h over through a school zone at 8:00am suggests differing punishments for the same offence are warranted.

While I don't think this kid should go to jail for life I do think he needs a fairly painful fine for being stupid and $1500 isn't nearly enough. Call it STUPID tax and make it hurt.

If some examples aren't made early on what's to stop people from doing stupid things and ultimately someone will get hurt.
You are spot on. Nip this behavior in the bud, by imposing very public & painful penalties.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20