Possibility of removing the gimbal/camera safely

Reaction score
Hi all... first post here. Planning to buy my first drone, a P3A or P3P. Wondering if there is a way to remove the gimbal/camera and keep it aside until I become little more comfortable with the flying. Searched here and Youtube but nothing came up.

I had a Syma X5C-1 for a while but the battery died in a week and I returned it. If it were working I probably wouldn't be even here :). So not much flying experience. Would like to avoid buying yet another drone ... my wife is already :mad: about me going 20+ times the budget over X5C :(

Thanks for any response.

Sorry dude but if you're blowing out the budget with a Syma, this is probably the wrong hobby. But, if you want to learn on a phantom, go buy a p2 off eBay for a fraction of the cost of a p3. A p3 is not something you want to crash at this point in the cycle. Good luck.

You can remove the gimble and camera-- however, I don't know whether it will connect with the app. You can certainly fly it with out the app, if you keep it in range. The setup when you get it will have a beginners mode in the app-- Use that and you wont get into any trouble. The problem with removing the camera and gimbel is that the ribbon wires that connect it to the main frame are very delicate and if you damage that-- replacement will be very tuff until the parts supply catches up to the demand.
I would recommend that you fly it with the camera on so the app will have full functionality. It is really very simple to learn to fly the Phantom. Go on You Tube, there are tons of videos that teach you how to take off, land and everything you want to know about flying the P3.

Thanks Bob. Do I need the app to practice flying just with the controller (no phone/tablet/FPV)? I'll use the FPV once I have little more confidence in flying.

I have viewed quite a few reviews on Youtube for P3 but not one where they show how to remove the gimbal/camera. Can you point me to one? Yes, in beginner's mode with distance / height restrictions it seems pretty easy to take off and return to home takes care of landing.

1. The Phantom is MUCH easier to fly than you imagine. Very much easier than the Syma you tried. It takes about 5 minutes to learn - but you need a lot more practice to become proficient
2. It won't fly without the app
3. If you remove the camera, you cripple the P3 by removing a lot of the things that would help make the flying easily and safely.
4. Do your early flying in a clear, open area well away from trees, buildings and other obstacles, Read and understand the manual, ask questions to clear up anything you don't understand and you'll be fine.

What it is mean TO GO BACK HOME???THE DRONE CAME BY ITSELFTO THE CONTROLLER IS!??? I just got my P2V+ and no have any idea of stuff..sorry for asking this..

Hi all... first post here. Planning to buy my first drone, a P3A or P3P. Wondering if there is a way to remove the gimbal/camera and keep it aside until I become little more comfortable with the flying. Searched here and Youtube but nothing came up.

I had a Syma X5C-1 for a while but the battery died in a week and I returned it. If it were working I probably wouldn't be even here :). So not much flying experience. Would like to avoid buying yet another drone ... my wife is already :mad: about me going 20+ times the budget over X5C :(

Thanks for any response.

I removed my camera for the first few flights, there was a YouTube video I watched and learned how. You have to remove the rubber mounts then gently unplug the ribbon cables holding the connector ends and not pulling on the cable itself. Then either remove the mount or not as desired. If you remove it you should have some blue Loctite to use when replacing the screws later. I used some blue masking tape to secure the cables while flying.

The app works fine, just no video. You need to concentrate on watching your P3 and just your indicators anyway. Thats the only difference I noticed. In the IOS app I had a red no signal bar at the top center of the app.

What it is mean TO GO BACK HOME???THE DRONE CAME BY ITSELFTO THE CONTROLLER IS!??? I just got my P2V+ and no have any idea of stuff..sorry for asking this..

2 things..

1. Don't hijack a thread with a different unrelated question.
2. You need to get a manual and read it about 3 times... not trying to be rude - but your question indicates you haven't read the manual - and you can get a lot of useful information from it.

Good luck...

Reactions: atxpilot
I removed my camera for the first few flights, there was a YouTube video I watched and learned how. You have to remove the rubber mounts then gently unplug the ribbon cables holding the connector ends and not pulling on the cable itself. Then either remove the mount or not as desired. If you remove it you should have some blue Loctite to use when replacing the screws later. I used some blue masking tape to secure the cables while flying.

The app works fine, just no video. You need to concentrate on watching your P3 and just your indicators anyway. Thats the only difference I noticed. In the IOS app I had a red no signal bar at the top center of the app.
I am unable to remove the 2 plastic pins. Plastic is so tight that it doesnot come of. I saw some videos regarding P2V+ Gimbal removal in which they cut it through some tool. But they wouldnt be reused and I have only 2 extra.

I am unable to remove the 2 plastic pins. Plastic is so tight that it doesnot come of. I saw some videos regarding P2V+ Gimbal removal in which they cut it through some tool. But they wouldnt be reused and I have only 2 extra.

There are methods on youtube to remove them without damage (i am work - no youtube). Just use a sharp tool and pry.
Other option is to just use a sharp pliers (looks like nail clippers) and replace them with loose cable ties.

Reactions: bobmyers
I used a pair of wire cutters. Squeezed the plates together and worked the wire cutters around the pin and squeezed hard and broke it. Be sure to close your eyes if you do that - i guess safety goggles are advisable

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20