Portable GPS

Reaction score
With upcoming dji enhancements, has anyone used or know about the Garmin GLO Bluetooth portable GPS receiver. Works with iPad. I have an iPad 2 I use and would like GPS receiver other than phone.

Last edited:
I just got my Garmin Glo a couple of days ago and had the chance to test it yesterday and was very disappointed. I am using an iPad mini 3 wifi only model updated to iOS 9.0.2 with a P3P with the latest 1.4 firmware.
When I was testing the whole setup with the Garmin Glo at home (without flying) I noticed that the DJI Pilot App would get sluggish and freeze every now and then and the video feed would break up into cubes and sometimes go away and the screen would go blank and the status bar would give a "disconnected" message. I thought that this was because of my proximity to the wifi router at home and next I headed to the field to test follow me mode and setting the home point to my location. Follow me mode worked perfectly and I was able to set the home point to my current location but the app was freezing and the video feed was getting broken again same as it was doing at home. I turned off bluetooth on the iPad and the problem was gone, everything worked perfectly again!
I gave it a lot of thought and I believe it is not that the bluetooth transmission that is affecting the lightbridge link between the transmitter and aircraft since its power is negligible. Apparently the iPad is using a lot of resources in order to process the external GPS data string causing the Pilot App to hang!
Has anybody had a similar experience with the Garmin Glo?
Any solutions/suggestions?

I just got my Garmin Glo a couple of days ago and had the chance to test it yesterday and was very disappointed. I am using an iPad mini 3 wifi only model updated to iOS 9.0.2 with a P3P with the latest 1.4 firmware.
When I was testing the whole setup with the Garmin Glo at home (without flying) I noticed that the DJI Pilot App would get sluggish and freeze every now and then and the video feed would break up into cubes and sometimes go away and the screen would go blank and the status bar would give a "disconnected" message. I thought that this was because of my proximity to the wifi router at home and next I headed to the field to test follow me mode and setting the home point to my location. Follow me mode worked perfectly and I was able to set the home point to my current location but the app was freezing and the video feed was getting broken again same as it was doing at home. I turned off bluetooth on the iPad and the problem was gone, everything worked perfectly again!
I gave it a lot of thought and I believe it is not that the bluetooth transmission that is affecting the lightbridge link between the transmitter and aircraft since its power is negligible. Apparently the iPad is using a lot of resources in order to process the external GPS data string causing the Pilot App to hang!
Has anybody had a similar experience with the Garmin Glo?
Any solutions/suggestions?
Your symptoms sound very similar to what many are reporting since they have switched to iOS9.x. Many people have reported great success with the GLO, but the reviews were from before iOS 9.x was released. Did you fly trouble free with 9.x prior to using the GLO?

Reactions: JoBe
Your symptoms sound very similar to what many are reporting since they have switched to iOS9.x. Many people have reported great success with the GLO, but the reviews were from before iOS 9.x was released. Did you fly trouble free with 9.x prior to using the GLO?

Well this was my first time flying with iOS 9 . I know I did a mistake and should not have introduced 2 new variables simultaneously :( (iOS 9 and the Garmin GLO) wish so much I did not upgrade to iOS 9. But as I said, turning off the bluetooth on the iPad makes things much better.

The wifi only iPad models have no GPS at all so you need an external GPS if you want to use follow me mode or if you want to set the home position to your current position.

I wish I knew how to use quotes.
Prometric: I tried an iPad 2 and it was just way to slow without anything added. I'm not sure it is even on the list of recommended devices.

Alexis Karam: I just looked up the specs for various iPads.
IPad mini 3 has the A7 dual core processor running at 1.3Ghz. with 1GB Ram.

IPad Air 2 has the A8x tri core processor running at 1.5 Ghz with 2GB Ram.

I think you're correct in your assumption. I wonder if my air 2 would keep up. The other option would be to go back to iOS 8.x.

I'm wanting to use the GLO myself. Has anyone tried the GLO with the iPad Air 2 and iOS 9.x?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers