Poor WiFi Signal on New Purchase

Reaction score
Hi All

I know there are lots of threads here for poor signal problems and I have had a read through but none seem to be quite the same situation as me.

I have recently purchased a phantom 3 standard and the signal range for the wifi app and video link seems to be very poor. I'm only getting 20M vertical or 50M horizontal range before the app shows no signal. However the flight controls seem to work fine when this signal goes. I havent managed to get it to RTH after the app signal goes. I'm not brave enough to just keep flying until it does RTH but, it certainly goes further than the WiFi signal seems to.

I have checked the orientation of my antenna and that doesn't make a difference.

When i first powered it up it installed the latest firmware on the aircraft (1.6.80) and have tried with version 2.8.1 of the DJI Go app on android (the latest on the play store) and also manually installing 2.8.0 from an APK. This is on a Sony Xperia Z5 Compact. I also tried the latest iOS version on an iPad 2 and no change there.

I have relinked the controller to the aircraft and no change. I have also reset the WiFi - no luck.

The aircraft has not been crashed or had any physical damage all antennae seem to be in tact.

Anybody got any ideas I should try?

Thanks

Nick

Reactions: ScottMcCulloch
Not sure what's going on, but that's a ridiculous short range. You may have a hardware issue that needs to be returned for repair. I'll give you a heads up here. One of the things everyone will ask you is where are you flying, a open field vs a residential neighborhood. Any powerlines or cell towers nearby? As the downlink is on wifi (the same as everyone's router) this has a large impact on your range. But 50M is just wrong no matter what. The other thing is about the firmware upgrade you did. I'm assuming you didn't fly the craft any before you did the upgrade? So you would have a reference as to what might have or not have changed after the firmware change.

Reactions: ScottMcCulloch
I have this exact same issue!
I reported this to DJI who replaced the drone and sent it back (didn't replace camera).
Issue remained. Bought a new controller. issue remained. Used 2 different phones/tablet. Issue remained!
Flying in the middle of nowhere with clear line of sight makes no difference.
This is so frustrating.

Hi All

I know there are lots of threads here for poor signal problems and I have had a read through but none seem to be quite the same situation as me.

I have recently purchased a phantom 3 standard and the signal range for the wifi app and video link seems to be very poor. I'm only getting 20M vertical or 50M horizontal range before the app shows no signal. However the flight controls seem to work fine when this signal goes. I havent managed to get it to RTH after the app signal goes. I'm not brave enough to just keep flying until it does RTH but, it certainly goes further than the WiFi signal seems to.

I have checked the orientation of my antenna and that doesn't make a difference.

When i first powered it up it installed the latest firmware on the aircraft (1.6.80) and have tried with version 2.8.1 of the DJI Go app on android (the latest on the play store) and also manually installing 2.8.0 from an APK. This is on a Sony Xperia Z5 Compact. I also tried the latest iOS version on an iPad 2 and no change there.

I have relinked the controller to the aircraft and no change. I have also reset the WiFi - no luck.

The aircraft has not been crashed or had any physical damage all antennae seem to be in tact.

Anybody got any ideas I should try?

Thanks

Nick
Did you ever get this sorted?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic