Poor Video Reception (Please Post Solutions) SOLVED!!

Reaction score
Solved! I downgraded my RC from 1.8 to 1.6 and everything works now! In a separate post on this thread I explain how to downgrade.

I've had my P3 Pro for over a year and have flown it all over the world. Works great! Love it! Then a few months ago while in Maui I take a flight and have so much interference that the live video is useless. I move to a different area of the Island and it seems better. Then I drive out to Makena Beach way out away from everything and once again there is so much interference that the live video is nothing but broken pixels. I'm thinking something is broken. Now I'm at Lake Tahoe in California and the same thing. I've flown this area many times without any problem and now, like in Maui the video is fubar. OK there is my question:

How can I test my equipment to insure that it is functioning as it should? Is there an app that will test transmission and reception? Maybe there is an app that shows the amount of interference in the area?

And yes I've tried the HD settings of AUTO and Custom and I've tried the 32 channel hack. And I've tried 2 Android and one Apple Tablets. All the latest software and firmware.

I want to test my equipment without counting on the DJI GO app. I wonder how DJI Support would test it?

Thanks!

Rod Cambridge

Last edited:
Rod, when the issue appeared for the 1st time (in Mauni months ago), do you remember what AC FW did you had at that time ?
If you're strictly on keeping the latest update, at that time did you had AC FW v1.9.60 ? (released 2016.06.13)

After that, have you updated in December 2016 @ FW v.10.90 (the one that gave severe headache to many pilots) ?

My video reception went completely useless after the latest AC (1.10.09) and RC (1.8.0) firmware updates. You might first try to downgraade your RC firmware to 1.6 and see if it helps.

If that doesn't help there is a way to downgrade the AC firmware back to 1.9.60 or older. (Be aware, there is a chance of bricking your bird)

Downgrading firmware on P3P from 1.10.9 to 1.7.6

I had a similar problem after upgrading to 1.8.xx, my videos were useless big areas of chartreuse or fuchsia pixilation. After contacting DJI they recommended setting the camera to the defaults, that helped a lot on the big areas of pixilation but then I noticed a pattern of missing or dark pixels in both video and camera shots and my live feed was terrible. What I saw on my tablet was the same as what was on the video which to me indicated it was not a transmission problem. I also followed a recommendation that it might be the SD card so bought new one but did not change the issue. After months of fooling around and doing what DJI support suggested (primarily upgrade to the latest firmware on everything)it still was an issue. Then finally I decided to get it resolved and requested a service ticket knowing it would be at my expense. They determined the problem was the downlink board. I got the bird back, tested it and have solid video and camera shots. Nice to see good video again.

Here is the shocker my P3P was purchased in Sep 2015 long out of warranty they repaired it at no cost to me. They replaced the whole AC and camera. So might I suggest being very polite and request service, be prepared to pay for the repair. I was hoping they might issue me a credit which I could then apply toward the P4. If you send it back be sure to remove any options you added to the AC body.

Think positive

Instructions here on how to downgrade.

My Video is working now! I downgraded the RC Remote Control down from 1.8 to 1.6 and my video looks great again. To downgrade your RC hook up your tablet or phone to your Remote Control and open DJI GO. On the Home Page where you see the different Aircraft, place your finger on the icon in the upper right hand corner. In my case, the button was three little lines to open a menu. You might have a Graduation Hat symbol. Hold the icon for 5 to 10 seconds. When you lift your finger off the screen, a menu will open and allow you to download and downgrade the firmware on the RC. I downgraded from 1.8 to 1.6 and got my video back the way it was. Thanks Everyone!

Rod Cambridge

Last edited:
Solved! I downgraded my RC from 1.8 to 1.6 and everything works now! In a separate post on this thread I explain how to downgrade.

I've had my P3 Pro for over a year and have flown it all over the world. Works great! Love it! Then a few months ago while in Maui I take a flight and have so much interference that the live video is useless. I move to a different area of the Island and it seems better. Then I drive out to Makena Beach way out away from everything and once again there is so much interference that the live video is nothing but broken pixels. I'm thinking something is broken. Now I'm at Lake Tahoe in California and the same thing. I've flown this area many times without any problem and now, like in Maui the video is fubar. OK there is my question:

How can I test my equipment to insure that it is functioning as it should? Is there an app that will test transmission and reception? Maybe there is an app that shows the amount of interference in the area?

And yes I've tried the HD settings of AUTO and Custom and I've tried the 32 channel hack. And I've tried 2 Android and one Apple Tablets. All the latest software and firmware.

I want to test my equipment without counting on the DJI GO app. I wonder how DJI Support would test it?

Thanks!

Rod Cambridge

Thanks!

Rod Cambridge
Rod, not sure if you are the sole discoverer of this fix but it worked for me. Thanks for taking the time to share. I am a happy camper once again.

My Video is working now! I downgraded the RC Remote Control down from 1.8 to 1.6 and my video looks great again. To downgrade your RC hook up your tablet or phone to your Remote Control and open DJI GO. On the Home Page where you see the different Aircraft, place your finger on the icon in the upper right hand corner. In my case, the button was three little lines to open a menu. You might have a Graduation Hat symbol. Hold the icon for 5 to 10 seconds. When you lift your finger off the screen, a menu will open and allow you to download and downgrade the firmware on the RC. I downgraded from 1.8 to 1.6 and got my video back the way it was. Thanks Everyone!

Rod Cambridge
Rod,

I'm very impressed with your fix, but I must be an idiot. I have been trying for over an hour to access the DJI Go Home Page with my Samsung tablet to downgrade my RC as you have described. My tablet utilizes the Chrome browser, but I find no "icon" in the upper right hand corner of the Home Page. I have my tablet connected to the RC, not sure if this is correct. Note; I have the GL300A RC. Will this method work on this model?

I'm having MAJOR pixilation problems since downloading the latest firmware on this RC.

Thanking for your help in advance.

Rod,

I'm very impressed with your fix, but I must be an idiot. I have been trying for over an hour to access the DJI Go Home Page with my Samsung tablet to downgrade my RC as you have described. My tablet utilizes the Chrome browser, but I find no "icon" in the upper right hand corner of the Home Page. I have my tablet connected to the RC, not sure if this is correct. Note; I have the GL300A RC. Will this method work on this model?

I'm having MAJOR pixilation problems since downloading the latest firmware on this RC.

Thanking for your help in advance.

chrome would not come into play !
you use the GO APP to revert to 1.6

Controller FW Downgrade

If you update the controller before updating the craft but can't update the via Assistant 2 for some reason you can downgrade the RC back to V1.580 as follows

Connect the controller to the Tablet and turn on

On the DJI Go home screen press and hold the Academy (little hat) icon in the top RH corner, you will need to hold this for at least 10 seconds and when you release you should get the below screen

b17fd31e0f1404586ce2dcd806efa777.jpg

BTW this has been known for 6 months or more and is very common

Reactions: Oso
BTW this has been known for 6 months or more and is very common
+1
Actually, it has been known and relatively common for much longer than 6 months. More than a year in fact. It is frequently described as the graduation cap method since the academy icon looks like a graduation cap.

Here's a video from March 2016:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe

Thanks!

Rod Cambridge
There is a app called OOKLA,,its a wifi speedtest app ,,preety good info:)

+1
Actually, it has been known and relatively common for much longer than 6 months. More than a year in fact. It is frequently described as the graduation cap method since the academy icon looks like a graduation cap.

Here's a video from March 2016:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

actually was trying to pointing out the video fix for 1.8 RC FW was known for quite a while now--drop to 1.6
agreed on the fact the method for downgrading is along time feature in GO.

Reactions: Oso
Just popped in on this thread. Is it everyone that's having issue and needing to downgrade?

I'm on the latest version and haven't had any issues with FPV.

These are the reasons why this forum is SO vital to users of DJI products. Rod's explanation lead me to checking out the uTube video that Oso just posted because my version of DJI Go didn't have a HAT icon and pressing and holding the 3 bars produced nothing until later.(?). The result is my pixilation problem is GONE on ALL my cameras The reason I didn't pursue a solution more thoroughly a month ago, (when I upgraded), is because I thought it was a camera problem, because I have many that I am refurbishing. If I had only one camera, I would come to a conclusion sooner, realizing the change was due to the upgrade.

No thanks to DJI for causing the problem. Don't they test their upgrades? Apparently not. You would think by now DJI would assign one of you experts to their beta testing instead of using us as guinea pigs at our expense. I checked the forum a month ago and found nothing until now. I think it took a while as these posts are recent and "pixilation" didn't provide any results when I first checked.

Thanks again fellas!!!!!
Jim

AC on. RC on. Start DJIGO.

To downgrade your RC hook up your tablet or phone to your Remote Control and open DJI GO. On the Home Page where you see the different Aircraft, place your finger on the icon in the upper right hand corner. In my case, the button was three little lines to open a menu. HOLD finger on this menu until a “Downgrade Firmware to:” appears. Hold the icon for 5 to 10 seconds. When you lift your finger off the screen, a menu will open and allow you to download and downgrade the firmware on the RC. I downgraded from 1.8 to 1.6 and got my video back the way it was. Kill updates in PLAYSTORE.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen