Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Poor Range with my new FPV???Why???

Discussion in 'FPV (First Person View)' started by agspecialties, Jan 3, 2015.

1. agspecialties

I just bought this system for my phanton 2.
    http://www.multicopterwarehouse.com/ind ... ch=fpv+kit

I have set everything up the way it should be set up. I have video and looks really good. I have the antennas on the quad facing straight out and the antenna facing straight up on the Black Pearl.

I can only go about 200ft away before it starts to break up. I have been told that it could be the antennas, but I am just not sold on that yet. I am wondering how to pick the channels?? I have looked everywhere on the net with no luck. What I did find was this....
    http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... 1.0_en.pdf

But I don't have the cables to hook up to the receiver and the transmitter.

Any ideas??? Thanks

2. noiseboy72

The 2 most common issues are running the TX without the antenna attached - damaging the output device, so power is limited and running on the wrong channel, so that although you get a picture, it fades quickly.

Double and triple check you are on the correct channel, as you may find you get a picture on 2 or 3 of them and also ask yourself if you managed to apply power to the TX at some point without the antenna attached.

3. johncanfield

Can you see the Black Pearl receiver switching antennas (blue LED under each antenna?)

4. agspecialties

Yah, I didn't apply power to the TX before the antenna was attached. I know that for a fact. I was really careful. I switched the channel on the ALV58 to channel 8 and have it mated up with the receiver. Did all this last night for a flight this morning. I charged everything up and was really excited. I move the TX on the left landing gear facing at a 45 degree angle.
    I woke up this morning and it was -5 with a 20mph wind from the north. I wanted to do a stand still time lapse of the sunrise. I walked all the way out to where I wanted to go and turned everything on. With in 2 to 3 minutes, the black pearl was dead. What little FPV that i got was horrible. I was only at 225 ft or 74m straight up from where I was standing. I am really disappointed in this set up. I have had nothing be problems. A lot of money spent on this, but I am not concerned about the money, but I am concerned that I can't use it for the stuff I need.
    Yes, I can se blue lights under each antenna working. I just can't seem to get the **** thing to work.

Here is a still picture from this morning. I am happy with.
    [​IMG]

Here is the youtube video of the Time Lapse of the sunrise.
    http://youtu.be/Oz60bwIukVE

5. noiseboy72

Directly above you is the worst direction for reception with those antennas. Cloverleaf types have a dead spot directly above / below them, so if you intend to fly directly overhead, rotate them through 90 degrees, so the sides are facing each other.