Poor Flight Range < 200m with Stock TX

Reaction score
Guys, any ideas on other than new batteries needed in TX which I have tried, why I would get such poor distance range out of the stock TX. Plenty on here seem to be flying way out to 1000m or more.

P2 Non Vision
Mini OSD
Ground Station
Fatshark 200Mw with googles or diversity monitor.

If I send the Phantom out using the ground station it merrily flies way past 200m following waypoint route but if I use the normal TX fly out to around 200m and it kicks into Failsafe and heads for home.

I have tried disconnecting the Air End of the Ground Station to see if that was affecting it but no change

Tried flying away from me in different directions and with the P2 in different orientation and heights unto about 100m.

photo.jpg

MStacey said:
Guys, any ideas on other than new batteries needed in TX which I have tried, why I would get such poor distance range out of the stock TX. Plenty on here seem to be flying way out to 1000m or more.

P2 Non Vision
Mini OSD
Ground Station

If I send the Phantom out using the ground station it merrily flies way past 200m following waypoint route but if I use the normal TX fly out to around 200m and it kicks into Failsafe and heads for home.

Post a picture of how you have installed vTX and ground station including antenna routing.

Not sure if I have got the hang of posting images but here goes

http://www.k9sleepover.co.uk/photo.jpg

photo.jpg

The picture is deliberately upside down showing the belly of the P2
The antennas from the air unit go 1) to left of picture 2) upwards in picture which is towards the underside of Phantom

Is there something wrong with my layout that would cause the poor range issue ?

This probably won't help with your distance probably, but will help the life of your Video Tx. You should mount it on the other side, as it's the side that dissipates heat.

MStacey said:

P2 Non Vision
Mini OSD
Ground Station

Phantom have a default limit. Go in Phantom Assistant and set own limit.

gin sonic said:
Phantom have a default limit. Go in Phantom Assistant and set own limit.
The Phantom does have default limits which if you look are far greater than 200m. Mine are not at default but are at Height 120m Distance 1000m so that is not the cause of the poor range

thongbong said:
This probably won't help with your distance probably, but will help the life of your Video Tx. You should mount it on the other side, as it's the side that dissipates heat.

Thanks for the tip

Not sure what could be the issue. Your setup looks OK. Have you had any crashes? Could be the receiver board is damaged or one of the antennas is not fully connected. Hard to tell.

ianwood said:
Not sure what could be the issue. Your setup looks OK. Have you had any crashes? Could be the receiver board is damaged or one of the antennas is not fully connected. Hard to tell.

No Crashes ( fingers crossed). Will open the P2 and check the antenna connections.

I am going to see if I can find somebody local ( Bristol UK) who might be willing to bind their TX to my P2 so I can see if it is my stock TX. If I have to buy a new TX would rather put the money towards a Futaba than another dji one ( Have been following other threads with your profiles with interest.

Thanks for taking a look.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers