Pontoons or Flotation Devices for the Phantom

Maybe this was posted before, but I thought I'd add it here to this thread:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3pU0XKQZt4[/youtube]

The liquipel looks pretty cool. You do that as well as add buoyancy, and it would make it pretty safe to go over water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an idea!!!
Take 2 plastic water bottles-about the length of the skids on the Phantom. Drink the water, go to the bathroom, then put the caps on both water bottles tightly(you want to get the water bottles with the thinnest/cheapest plastic=light weight).
Get a roll of Duct Tape(water-proof), and tape each water bottle to the outside bottom of each skid-on the side of the skids, not on the very bottom. Go fly over water!!!

To test this; take your two empty plastic water bottles, and something that's about 8" long(a board?), that weighs close to 3lbs. Put that over the 2 water bottles in the sink.....if floats!!
Make sure the caps are tight(you might want to wrap some duct tape around the caps), point the caps forward.....this should work!!!
Keep in mind that IF your Phantom goes down in the water, there is no guarantee it's going to land on it's skids. , But, at least this will help you recover your Phantom in the event of a "water landing". Also keep in mind, that if you don't own a boat, have a friend with a boat, or see a boat nearby, you better hope the water is warm, and that you are an excellent swimmer.

You can thank me later ;)

What have those of you who fly the Phantom over open water devised to keep it floating should it crash land?

I'd like to see a picture of any simple styrofoam gizmo or floats than can be used to keep it buoyant.

If possible, please give us an idea of how big any buoyancy device has to be to keep the Phantom from sinking.

Finally, does anyone know if the compass module on the landing gear is affected if it goes underwater?
20160115_162831.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4