POLL CLOSED: Results of 107 Pass Rates?

(Anonymous) Did you pass the 107 Knowledge test at the FAA testing center?

• Yes, it was a breeze

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • Yes, but I was challenged

Votes: 54 58.7%
  • No, I need to study more

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • I failed it twice!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Passed mine today at French Valley Aviation CATS center, French Valley Airport, SoCal. 95%. I'm a happy guy!!

Reactions: nightpirate
CONGRATS!!

How was the test? Can you give any insight on the material that was on the test and what to study?
The FAA test questions are drawn from a large pool for each applicant's test. No two tests are the same.The best course is to search this forum for recommended resources and study everything available, and then study it again.

*** FOR THE PEOPLE THAT TOOK THE TEST ALREADY**

Are the questions on this website:

Drone Knowledge Test Prep

SIMILAR to what is on the actual exam??

Probably, but they seem to contradict the answers I've seen elsewhere occasionally.

1 example:

Capture.JPG

Data base of around 300 questions. Are those the same or similar to the questions you saw on the test?
I don't take the test for another week. But I have a buddy who has been using it who takes in in the next couple days. So I will find out. That's sort of what I'm waiting for. In the meantime I'm just studying the areas people have mentioned where they were surprised or not prepared.

*** FOR THE PEOPLE THAT TOOK THE TEST ALREADY**

Are the questions on this website:

Drone Knowledge Test Prep

SIMILAR to what is on the actual exam??
I have been using this along with a bunch of other things. I believe for the money it's a great way to finish prepping. We will know for sure in a few days when some people I know who have used it take the test. I take mine in a week.

I don't take the test for another week. But I have a buddy who has been using it who takes in in the next couple days. So I will find out. That's sort of what I'm waiting for. In the meantime I'm just studying the areas people have mentioned where they were surprised or not prepared.

There are some wrong answers in there and some bad typos. I've emailed the guy and he says he's sorry but then told me how hot of a instructor he is. And how dare I question him. Kind of a jerk. But there are a few that are just wrong. Period.

Well thanks to Hermine I get another study day....got called on the way and postponed until tomorrow.

Well thanks to Hermine I get another study day....got called on the way and postponed until tomorrow.

Testing center closed again today..UHG!!

I need this over and done so I can have my life back!!

(GET OFF THIS COMPUTER)

Reactions: Falcon900
I took a pre-course at an aviation school, which turned out to be worthless.

There are probably hundreds of questions that are randomly selected by the CATS system to serve up the official 60, thus every test is most likely different. IMO here is what you need to study for:
  • Be sure to understand "Airspace Classifications; especially D through G.
  • The majority of my test had a lot of chart work. You need to know how to find Latitude / Longitude and the minutes. There was no conversion to decimal as it was all old school, however, you should know if they ask how to convert the minutes into decimal. Simple, just divide by 60.
  • Understand where to find the various radio frequencies / identifiers on a chart and the differences between them, i.e. which acronym does what. ASOS / AWOS vs UNICOM vs ATIS etc.
  • Have an understanding about weather and specifically how it pertains to aeronautics and aircraft performance.
  • Understand the simple 400ft rule, unless you're within 400' of a structure, and then your altitude is can be has high as the structure as long as you're not violating the cloud-clearance requirements of 500' vertically (based on your AGL) and 2000' horizontally.
  • Understand the difference between AGL and MSL and when they apply.
  • Understand when you need ATC permission to fly in a certain airspace classification and what your restrictions are, and when, in MOA.
  • Know how to read a METAR.
  • Know ADM / CRM and the nuances between them.
I studied for about 14 hrs over two days, right before the test. I found the test more difficult than I had expected, no thanks to the class instruction that was extremely poor. For whatever reason, I went here (it's free), and studied everything, along with watching the videos. I got an 85%.
Sarah Nilsson - Aviation

Best of luck.

Peace & God bless....

Attachments

• FAATest.jpg
    FAATest.jpg
    665.1 KB · Views: 348
Sorry to hear the in-person course didn't really work out. With this sort of big announcement, there is always going o be people trying to rush to market with a solution. Private pilot ground school is usually spread out over weeks or even months and that still results in big time confusion and even test failures. Not really surprised the quick 2 day crash course type offerings might leave people feeling less than fulfilled at the test center.

Thanks for summing up the your experience!

I took a pre-course at an aviation school, which turned out to be worthless.

There are probably hundreds of questions that are randomly selected by the CATS system to serve up the official 60, thus every test is most likely different. IMO here is what you need to study for:
  • Be sure to understand "Airspace Classifications; especially D through G.
  • The majority of my test had a lot of chart work. You need to know how to find Latitude / Longitude and the minutes. There was no conversion to decimal as it was all old school, however, you should know if they ask how to convert the minutes into decimal. Simple, just divide by 60.
  • Understand where to find the various radio frequencies / identifiers on a chart and the differences between them, i.e. which acronym does what. ASOS / AWOS vs UNICOM vs ATIS etc.
  • Have an understanding about weather and specifically how it pertains to aeronautics and aircraft performance.
  • Understand the simple 400ft rule, unless you're within 400' of a structure, and then your altitude is can be has high as the structure as long as you're not violating the cloud-clearance requirements of 500' vertically (based on your AGL) and 2000' horizontally.
  • Understand the difference between AGL and MSL and when they apply.
  • Understand when you need ATC permission to fly in a certain airspace classification and what your restrictions are, and when, in MOA.
  • Know how to read a METAR.
  • Know ADM / CRM and the nuances between them.
I studied for about 14 hrs over two days, right before the test. I found the test more difficult than I had expected, no thanks to the class instruction that was extremely poor. For whatever reason, I went here (it's free), and studied everything, along with watching the videos. I got an 85%.
Sarah Nilsson - Aviation

Best of luck.

Peace & God bless....

I took the test today. I am not a pilot, got 93% but I studied for 4 weeks at night as I work during the day. As all test are different, let me tell you how mine looked: a strong content of sectional charts, many aeronautical decision making questions, and weather theory ( no Metars). I basically used these 4 great free resources to study:
1. Free Part 107 Test Study Guide For FAA Remote Pilot Airmen Certificate - Drone Law Attorney Services - Rupprecht Law, PA
2. Sarah Nilsson - UAG Test Prep - 1
3. youtube
4. FAA material

Thanks for summing up the your experience![/QUOTE]

Hi Unmannedsky:

Actually, the crash course was 6 hours, and that included the hour lunch break...lol. I studied on my own at home for 14hrs. ;) However, in hindsight I would have gladly paid for a two-day course!

There are a couple of courses being advertised on this forum that I cannot attest to, BUT, they look legit and I would think the people here within this community who are posting have everyones best interest at heart. If someone is already a licensed pilot I doubt they would need to take any course, but for someone like myself who didn't know a METAR from an Inversion...I could have used the help. ;)

I think you have the right approach. It definitely helps to have someone guide the process, but all that info is available online from the FAA. I haven't taken any myself but I'm seeing Sarah Nilsson (which you have done) and Rupprecht Law courses seem to be doing it right. Not an endorsement, just a recurring theme I see cruising the threads! Congrats on your new ticket!

I took the test today. I am not a pilot, got 93% but I studied for 4 weeks at night as I work during the day. As all test are different, let me tell you how mine looked: a strong content of sectional charts, many aeronautical decision making questions, and weather theory ( no Metars). I basically used these 4 great free resources to study:
1. Free Part 107 Test Study Guide For FAA Remote Pilot Airmen Certificate - Drone Law Attorney Services - Rupprecht Law, PA
2. Sarah Nilsson - UAG Test Prep - 1
3. youtube
4. FAA material

Amazing how much is available for free out there. How did you find the Rupprecht/Nilsson courses?

Results as soon as you complete test via computer. Test facility will provide you a certificate (not FAA cert but a test cert) that will have the info to enter with the FAA for issuance.
Test was a ***** but suggest as others above you understand sectional and how to interpret symbology and also bone up on weathe. I found the rest reasonable IF you take TIME to read questions BEFORE jumping to the answers....I passed but barely but hey its good to go. Sample tests are good way to study but if you have no experience an online ground school would be a good choice as the test is $150 a pop. Ground school online runs about 300 bucks but well worth the time and effort spent....we all want to be good safe pilots.
Just my 2 cents!

Took the test on August 31st. First day it was available in my town. Small shop and they only do testing on Weds and Thurs. I studied a lot. I took three different courses and each was different. Some emphasized airport ground procedures like where is the hold line and what does it mean. The FAA didn't appear to be too excited about whether or not I knew how to determine a cloud base. None of the training used all of the maps in the supplemental, so that was a minor surprise. Didn't need my plotter. Only needed the calculator once. Generally, I found that test not overly hard but like others have said I felt like there were trick questions. The whole time I was there there was another poor chap taking a different exam (judging by the size of his supplement book and by the number of times he cleared his throat or made other noises it must have been hard. I was in and out in less than 30 minutes. I was worried at the end when the screen said (after I was done of course) that I had missed some questions and I had 10 minutes to look at them if I wanted to. So I had to go get the proctor. When he was finally able to log in, I counted I had missed 6 questions, I knew I had passed! Same guy says I'm done and free to go...must have been on the B team. So I says don't I get a sheet of paper that shows I passed/failed or something? He finally had to go get the boss and she knew what to do. I got my embossed sheet and had received a score of 90. Woohoo! Next day hurricane passes through Tallahassee. No power after midnight until 1130 AM on 9/2. First thing I do when the power comes back is try to complete my IACRA app. Finally my results are there! Now I'm waiting 2-4 days for my app to be approved and receipt of the temporary cert.

My recommendation is to take a course that provides practice exams and practice, practice. Oh, and keep flying!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20