POLL CLOSED: Results of 107 Pass Rates?

(Anonymous) Did you pass the 107 Knowledge test at the FAA testing center?

• Yes, it was a breeze

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • Yes, but I was challenged

Votes: 54 58.7%
  • No, I need to study more

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • I failed it twice!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I took a course locally, plus did some supplemental stuff on my own and still only passed with 75%. Very much recommend taking an in-person prep course ($150-200) if you're new to these aviation concepts, it'll be an eye opener for sure.

On a separate note, what is this supposed new FAA tool that's coming out for UAS ATC notification?

"Within five miles of an airport -- unless you clear it with air traffic control using an upcoming tool at the FAA's website."

I can't find any more info on it on the website. It does seem like it would be a bit burdensome on the tower to handle a bunch of UAS radio comms for folks flying at only 400 ft AGL inside of C and D airspace... I hope we get a new app or something, prefer not to deal with the radio if possible other than monitoring.

Reactions: jbwill
Hi, Tron. Under Part 107, there is no five-mile radius to deal with. And the application form for airspace authorizations is at Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS).

Hey N42742! I just want to clarify, What do you mean there is no five-mile radius to deal with in part 107? I originally thought that you have to get permission from ATC if you are flying within 5 miles of an airport. Or is it now strictly airspace because some airspace might begin at 1200agl or whichever the chart indicates.

Passed mine Monday morning. Not sure but think I was third person to take it at the Birmingham center. Just waiting on IACRA.

Reactions: JBG
No disrespect meant, but didn't your in-person class cover this stuff in minute detail? If they didn't you might want to request a refund. Here's the scoop:

(1) They aren't waivers, they are airspace authorizations
(2) There is absolutely nothing in Part 107 that refers to a five-mile radius. That's a left over from recreational flying. Under Part 107, it is all strictly based on airspace Class.
(3) 1,200 foot is also no general purpose magic number. That's the default for the boundary between G and E, but there's much more to it than that.

No disrespect meant, but didn't your in-person class cover this stuff in minute detail? If they didn't you might want to request a refund. Here's the scoop:

(2) There is absolutely nothing in Part 107 that refers to a five-mile radius. That's a left over from recreational flying. Under Part 107, it is all strictly based on airspace Class.
(3) 1,200 foot is also no general purpose magic number. That's the default for the boundary between G and E, but there's much more to it than that.

I feel the same way. This is all standard 107 stuff. What did that class even teach him?

Don't waste your money on these classes. Literally everything you need to know is free on the FAA website.

Reactions: Jsb CA
I studied the free info & also purchased a UAS Remote Pilot Test Prep book for $20.00 which gives you 5 free practice timed tests of 60 questions each. This book helped me tremendously, it explained what the correct answer was & also the incorrect too! Most of the material, if not all is the same. The tests made the difference for me, I think.

Some test wording was different from the study materials, but with same outcome/answer.

Hit heavy on sectional, class space, weather & loading. Sectional & air space class was my challenge. Don't understand why know so much about this unless it to be familiar with what pilots know & do. Anyone who has a pilot license has my utmost respect, jeez just so much to know, learn, remember & apply!!

BUT I PASSED, Any of you in Central Texas close to San Antonio might consider using the Pilot Shoppe near the airport. Great people, place & store.

I studied the free info & also purchased a UAS Remote Pilot Test Prep book for $20.00 which gives you 5 free practice timed tests of 60 questions each. This book helped me tremendously, it explained what the correct answer was & also the incorrect too! Most of the material, if not all is the same. The tests made the difference for me, I think.

Some test wording was different from the study materials, but with same outcome/answer.

Hit heavy on sectional, class space, weather & loading. Sectional & air space class was my challenge. Don't understand why know so much about this unless it to be familiar with what pilots know & do. Anyone who has a pilot license has my utmost respect, jeez just so much to know, learn, remember & apply!!

BUT I PASSED, Any of you in Central Texas close to San Antonio might consider using the Pilot Shoppe near the airport. Great people, place & store.

Where did u get the UAS Remote Pilot Test Prep book?

We have to notify ATC and get prior authorization before entering controlled airspace. Manned pilots contact ATC directly. UAS pilots are requested to go through the FAA website and to NOT contact ATC directly. Totally separate from requesting a waiver which would allow you to operate outside of the general Part 107 rules.

Hi, Tron. Under Part 107, there is no five-mile radius to deal with. And the application form for airspace authorizations is at Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS).

That's for waivers from Part 107 rules, not to simply fly though controlled airspace. You simply receive permission from ATC to do so. HOW is another question; I presume you call them on the telephone, since there is no FCC license category that covers unmanned aircraft pilots and the FAA says in their training material that you should only use the radio in emergencies.

I was completely wrong here. See my post below.

Last edited:
No there will be an online portal for authorization into controlled airspace. Unless I've missed something they specifically do NOT want us contacting ATC for this aspect.

Reactions: Falcon900

The class covered material pertinent to passing the FAA test, but it left a lot to be desired with regard to actual operational procedures within the airspace. There was absolutely no differentiation discussed between tower communication of manned vs unmanned aircraft so it was my assumption that we would not be able to phone a tower like a rec flyer to give notice and would have to resort to 2-way radio comms for clearance and response, if needed.

This whole thing is so new even the instructors appear to be having some challenges wrapping their heads around it. Any additional training resources you can link to would be appreciated.

No there will be an online portal for authorization into controlled airspace. Unless I've missed something they specifically do NOT want us contacting ATC for this aspect.

As posted already, there is already portal that is live for this.

Here:

Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS)

If you need to fly in class B, C, or D airspace, you must have an authorization waiver from this portal. It can take up to 90 days for authorization.

Reactions: joet and Falcon900

Here:

If you need to fly in class B, C, or D airspace, you must have an authorization waiver from this portal. It can take up to 90 days for authorization.

Huh, would a Cessna pilot have to wait 90 days on the runway to take off?? There's absolutely no way that's true... or I've completely wasted a lot of time, effort and $$ for some kind of FAA scam.

If you had read 107, you would've known this already.

Will it take 90 days? Probably not. But the FAA has said to apply for NAS authorization as early as possible.

Huh, would a Cessna pilot have to wait 90 days on the runway to take off?? There's absolutely no way that's true... or I've completely wasted a lot of time, effort and $$ for some kind of FAA scam.

Ruprecht law has been sending update emailed all week. It sounds like the FAA has already been granting waivers. So for now, doesn't take quite as long as initially thought.

I would still apply ASAP as soon as you know you'll have a job in controlled NAS.

Reactions: BigAl07

Here:

This is a very important document for obtaining a Certificate of Authorization/Waiver and we should all read it carefully if you need to fly anywhere near controlled airspace. Controlled airspace meaning Class B, C, D, or E surface area associated with an airport.
Also read this: FAA.JO 7200.23,2 it is the FAA internal order for ATC and how UAS requests for access to controlled airspace are to be handled.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik