Poll: Do you ever fly beyond visual line of sight?

Do you fly beyond visual line of sight? ...be honest!

• No, never! I always obey the rules.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I used to, but not since FAA Part 107 became law.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Occasionally, but I take extra precautions to ensure safety.

Votes: 67 40.6%
  • I do, and I think all the hub-bub about it is silly.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • You mean it's illegal?

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Given the discussions about range and the plethora of YouTube videos on the subject and the many debates here, I'm curious just what percentage of people actually do engage in flights that go beyond visual line of sight. Votes are not publicly displayed so be honest!

Given the discussions about range and the plethora of YouTube videos on the subject and the many debates here, I'm curious just what percentage of people actually do engage in flights that go beyond visual line of sight. Votes are not publicly displayed so be honest!
Ya know Donald there is another discussion going on in another thread about flying above 400 feet too. I personally believe that in areas where aircraft are seldom seen or anticipated, it is safe to fly above the mandated ceiling. If you can not see and hear a real airplane a mile away, you probably need to keep your little drone close to the ground. When they get modern airplanes to be invisible and completely silent, then more caution is advised. But in the real world under most circumstances, I see no harm. And I already know there are those who would love to put me in jail just for saying it. Oh well.

Reactions: MrTommy
I have to apologize for the wording of the first choice. I didn't intend for it to sound snarky. Basically if I could re-word it, I would say:

No, I don't believe it is safe.

But I can't edit the choices after the poll opens.

Reactions: gunner370
I'm with Kirby, I routinely fly both above and beyond the CASA regulations in a safe and responsible manner. I live in quite a remote area free from any sort of air traffic and figure that as an adult I can make these kind of decisions from time to time. There I've said it and will now throw myself at the mercy of the drone police.....

As Doc says- Litchi makes long distance running very tempting & quite easy to achieve, but, altitude is something I;m very careful about, 350' is my limit. I;ve had a couple of close calls that really "brought me down to earth" so to speak.

I'm with Kirby, I routinely fly both above and beyond the CASA regulations in a safe and responsible manner. I live in quite a remote area free from any sort of air traffic and figure that as an adult I can make these kind of decisions from time to time. There I've said it and will now throw myself at the mercy of the drone police.....
Don't go to the door if there is a knock tonight. :D

I still say that at least here in Flor-I-Duh anything up there is in more danger from Ospreys, herons, geese, owls eagles, egrets, ibis, and, storks and who knows what else is flying around up there. I would bet those I just named outnumber drones 100 to 1 here, and outweigh them too. And realistically, bird strikes are pretty rare, maybe because they were the originators of modern "Obstacle Avoidance" to begin with.

I've met certain requirements but I'm not as law abiding as others.

It's usually a good to stay within LOS but if I see a shot and I'm able to get to it I will.

I think we all probably once or twice have stretched the envelope.
What is important to remember, is that these things arent high technology, even if they, with their features appears to be so, its not tested and approved like general aviation, its simply advanced toys assembled with parts from the lowest bidder.

Arguments like "what are the chances" "birdstrikes happen more often" and so on, is a sign of bad risk assessment.
No private person simply have the privilege to do risk analysis based on their own personal judgement, of what is likely going to happen or not, especially not on behalf of other peoples live and health.
The aviation safety is built on a "better safe than sorry" principal, that is also why there is close to zero accidents in that industry, compared to car accidents and other land based traffic, cause its so well organized, but a chain is no stronger than its weakest link.
No serious accident have happened yet, luckily, but we dont need to wait until it happens, before we can say "oh we were wrong" One tragic accident, is one to many.
The amount of drones are increasing every day all around the world, and sadly, there is always an idiot somewhere stretching the limits, these people are also the reason we now have all these regulations.
People have been flying RC equipment for decades, but using common sense, people dont do that anymore, allot of them care more about thrills and attention, their need to show off, or simply to stimulate your own need for excitement.

I think its too late now to stop these drones from flying everywhere, apart from some countries that already have taken action, like Sweden, where its now forbidden to fly anything with a camera on, without special permission.
It will for sure spread to other countries as well, where people cannot be controlled through regular restrictions.

If you really have to fly beyond VLOS, at least get a scanner and listen to local traffic in your area, then you will get a little better view of what is coming at you. Are you doing this professionally, then you will have to communicate with the local aerodrome or tower, so they can alert other traffic in that area.
Even just a simple phone call to the local airport prior to your mission can be enough, then you will either get a no, due to special reasons, or you will be notified of what precautions you need to take at the present time, that way the ATC can also notify other traffic in the area, when and if they request low level flights. Its a normal procedure for all low level flights, cause not even large aircrafts are always easy to spot air to air.

Hmmm.. quick guess: 99%?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Hello, first post here.

Living in Miami one thing I've noticed is how low helicopters and smaller planes fly, specially around coastal areas. Though it's not completely accurate I've been using the Flight Radar 24 app while I fly the drone. A park Downtown I usually fly the drone at usually has tour helicopters flying 200 and 300 feet above, this with a wall of 400'+ buildings on one side. I'd hate loosing sight of my drone and having a close call with one of these guys.

Half of the YouTube videos of drones in South Florida fly near or directly over cruise ships. There is very little information on this but a drone (and everything else) is to stay 100 yards away and not fly directly over. Some of these guys go well beyond the line of sight into the ocean in windy conditions following ships and get quite close, even flying over. I'd hate for our disinformed elected officials to create a blanket ban on drones, I think they're already trying to up in Orlando.

I always try to fly line of sight. There have been times when I lost sight of the bird but not intentionally. :eek:

I do once on every new aircraft to test the range. I went out 5,642 ft a little over a mile on 5ghz then got scared and turned around. I had full bars with perfect video feed. I do see myself needing anything near that distance so I'm pleased ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: SCAerialPhotography
All the time. I have found I lose VLOS within the first 1/4 mile (maybe I have bad eyesight). When I fly in rural areas, the trees block visibility very quickly but, I enjoy going out much further, e.g., 2-5 miles typically. That's what FPV gives you. Sometimes wonder if the VLOS suggestion was before high resolution FPV was available

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20