• The FAA has come calling for no reason that you can tell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The FAA has come calling and you know the reason

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No contact from the FAA

Votes: 25 100.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I just ran across a comment that alluded to the FAA and inferred that maybe the FAA would come calling. It had to do with not installing the latest firmware. The poll has nothing to do with firmware. Just wondering if the FAA has come calling about any subject.

And got to wondering just how many of us has had the FAA come calling for flying our drones. My guess is very, very few, but please vote. I think the ominous FAA looming over our heads is blown all out of proportion. If you have called upon the FAA or have visited an airfield to discuss flying, that does not count.

Last edited:
How would the FAA know what firmware I have installed?

Won't be contacting me in the UK.
But good question, so many people posting dodgy videos that clearly breach the guidance, don't incriminate yourself.
However certain well known tubers seem to be above the law.

Someone made an unsubstantiated comment in another thread that the FAA would consider not having the latest firmware installed evidence that your bird was not airworthy! There is nothing in the rules about that, and couldn't realistically be. Many other RC aircraft that are also covered by the rules wouldn't even have FW! Only requirement is that the PIC is responsible for determining that the aircraft is safe to fly!

I actually asked him for his source, but he hasn't been back

Look, if you're in a situation where it turns out that there's a firmware fix that prevents the thing from chopping people's heads off when you push the RTH button, and DJI sent out a warning notice to everyone saying "install the latest firmware to prevent decapitation of yourself or others," *and* you deliberately refused to install it, then yeah I can see them taking that into account. Otherwise, I'm guessing you're in the clear for having 1.7 instead of 1.10 or something.

edit: as for reasons why the *would* possibly call you, generally it seems that people receiving calls are just getting polite reminders not to do something dumb. (so far.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers