POLL CLOSED: Results of 107 Pass Rates?

(Anonymous) Did you pass the 107 Knowledge test at the FAA testing center?

• Yes, it was a breeze

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • Yes, but I was challenged

Votes: 54 58.7%
  • No, I need to study more

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • I failed it twice!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm still on the fence about taking this test even though I am a licensed pilot.

In CA, being commercial will no doubt entail getting a permit to shoot aerials commercially with the local film commission, especially in So. CA. Having gone through that permit expense in the past, and finding it can costs thousands per day along with maybe establishing a $2K-$5K credit account to draw from with FilmLA in order to shorten an aerial shoot lead-time (That can take forever!), plus mandatory insurance for a permit, the hobbyist side may be more suitable for me.

Since the FAA decided posting on Facebook is "commercial use" since they runs ads (See: The FAA Says You Can't Post Drone Videos on YouTube ), I don't use Facebook so that doesn't entice me either into the commercial realm. Paying $150 for the test just to post on Facebook "commercially" isn't that beneficial if you also factor in the locales permit fees. That and posting in FB what may be an violation of the FAA rules or the city's drone ordinances too which seem to be growing (See photo attached I just got.), or lack of paying off the film commission and permit outfit and and getting caught.

If the commercial side offered some benefits like being a bit lax in the NFZ, night flights, reduced general liability insurance rates if it becomes mandated in CA, etc. then maybe it would entice me. For now, I'm still contemplating and in no hurry as this unfolds. What they come up on the hobbyists side at year's end might be more persuasive to make a move - or maybe not.

Attachments

• No drones in parks.jpg
    No drones in parks.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 325
Reactions: cfd701
I think you will find a Pt 107 certificate will be a must get if you want to execute commercial operations. Not having one will definitely differentiate (in the wrong way) operators during the hiring process. Do you fly under Section 333 commercially now?

I think very soon we will see discounted insurance revolving around training and certifications for sUAS operators

For the price you should go for it. Why not?

Forgive me, I mean no harm; and only comment because of the humor in your statement..
"There is a lot of EGO in our industry and some of them are so big they....." and then sign out with a 150 character signature, listing everything but your shoe size.

That would be size 13 TYVM.

And thanks for adding great information to the discussion. :)

Moving around, making friends.
No more like trolling . Nothing to add to this discussion then don't post in it .
Anything other will be considered Off Topic .

I'm taking the test this afternoon. Last-minute studying is underway, but I have been using the free resources (FAA study guide, practice tests, Sarah Nilsson, etc) and this forum for the past month to prepare. I'll let you all know how it went!

Passed the test - 80% - actually thought I did better - about 6-8 question about aeronautical decision making and crew resource management - those were my downfall (I scanned that section, never really read it) - one really goofy (well goofy to me) ask about visibility at a small airport, referenced airport on chart but heck if I could figure it out - choices were 0 miles, no clouds, 1 mile, 3 miles - how you figure that out on a chart was beyond me - the graphics on the computer screen were terrible and got worse when they were expanded - take some time to familiarize yourself with the sport / private / recreational handbook - FAA-CT-8080-2G - take time to familiarized yourself with the charts - bunch of questions off the charts - and you can't read the charts on the monitor - overall if your prepared it is not bad - two weather questions, 1 METAR and 1 TAF - I looked and looked at the TAF and i swear the info the question asked was not in the TAF example - (I was really disappointed that there were not more METAR questions - I spent a lot of time messing with weather forecasts) - Good luck

20160906_174853.jpg

Booya!! A lot more risk management questions than I was expecting on my test. I only got one TAF question, no METAR at all. My test was mainly a bunch of sectional questions, Part 107 knowledge, and weather effects on performance. I was surprised at my score though because I straight-up guessed on about 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: joet and dirkclod
I passed; took the poll. In the last week 50 people took the exam at my proctor center. I wish they could have told me how many passed...I'm curious. There may be as many hopeful aerial photogs in Nashville as there are wedding photogs. lol

Reactions: Falcon900
I passed; took the poll. In the last week 50 people took the exam at my proctor center. I wish they could have told me how many passed...I'm curious. There may be as many hopeful aerial photogs in Nashville as there are wedding photogs. lol

Good point about the number of aerial photography hopefuls. I'm 99% sure I'll never use my certification commercially. Things will settle down soon after the perceived gold rush is over. Aerial photography is going to become a commodity (IMHO). However, most successful commercial land photographers will have them in their arsenal and continue to work their craft for weddings, events, etc. If you are really passionate about flying and want to work commercially long term, I would look to the major enterprise players like measure.aero ( I have no skin in Measure) and the like. Companies such as Measure are cutting deals with major industry players like cell phone providers, insurance, real estate, departments of DOT, large survey firms, agriculture, to name a few. The value that they are adding, and the reason that I think that a lot of reputable clients will choose them is because of the standardization. Things like consistent safety practices, very well defined data collection and analysis, policy enforcement and procedure. Just my 2 cents of an opinion and that's about what it's worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon900
I spent a lot of time studying a lot of the free material available online. Specifically:

Sarah Nillson site: Sarah Nilsson - UAG Test Prep - 1

Rupprecht Law 107 info Free Part 107 Test Study Guide For FAA Remote Pilot Airmen Certificate - Drone Law Attorney Services - Rupprecht Law, PA

The FAA aeronautical knowledge book http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/media/pilot_handbook.pdf

FAA chart users guide: FAA Aeronautical Chart User's Guide

FAA UAS study prep guide (http://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf)

Cool thing is all of this has gotten me really interested in getting my private pilot's license so I think I am going to pursue that and continue the learning experience. [emoji322]

Yeah, I have become interested in getting a rec license too now.

I also used the Sarah Nilsson material. I could add one more publication (she mentions) to your list:
Air Force Pamphlet 11-238 1 November 2005 Flying Operations – Aircrew Quick Reference to the METAR and TAF Codes

Okay, took test on Tuesday - finished at 4 PM - going on 72 hrs - no certificate in IACRA - getting nervous I have messed something up in the IACRA sign up - I assume one has to wait for the certificate to pop up under certificates for Airmen to populate.......

Okay, took test on Tuesday - finished at 4 PM - going on 72 hrs - no certificate in IACRA - getting nervous I have messed something up in the IACRA sign up - I assume one has to wait for the certificate to pop up under certificates for Airmen to populate.......

It's been taking about a week. By this time next week you should have it.

... one really goofy (well goofy to me) ask about visibility at a small airport, referenced airport on chart but heck if I could figure it out

That sounds like a tricky question where you are referred to a chart to determine your answer when the correct answer is based off of a general regulation. You aren't going to find any minimum visibility on a sectional chart. That's all I'm going to say about that one.

Are you saying that the "exam" hasn't shown up? That's the first step, waiting for the exam to show up so that you can "associate" it with your application. That should take up to 48 hours (mine took about 36 hours to appear). Associating the exam allows you to "complete" the application, at which point you are in for the 7-day (approx) wait.

That sounds like a tricky question where you are referred to a chart to determine your answer when the correct answer is based off of a general regulation. You aren't going to find any minimum visibility on a sectional chart. That's all I'm going to say about that one.

Are you saying that the "exam" hasn't shown up? That's the first step, waiting for the exam to show up so that you can "associate" it with your application. That should take up to 48 hours (mine took about 36 hours to appear). Associating the exam allows you to "complete" the application, at which point you are in for the 7-day (approx) wait.
I guess I mean the exam - nothing has shown up on my IACRA page - I am registered as an applicant - but the application asks for a certificate # - which i don't have

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj