Politico Article: FAA vs. UAV's

Conversely, the article doesn't answer many questions either. That is the conundrum for the FAA and for us UAV drivers.

Even as a hobbyist I occasionally have that prickly feeling about where I am flying and what (or who) I am taking pictures of. Someone here posed a question about how to react to an authority who asked you to stop flying. Also, here in Texas, USA, the state government has passed an unwieldy, (and probably unenforceable) "privacy" law to attempt to restrict hobbyist flying.

The best answer I've heard around the forums is that we fly for free (not commercial) but might process photos and videos for $. That might be a slippery slope but will have to do, for now....

outlaw704 said:
Also, here in Texas, USA, the state government has passed an unwieldy, (and probably unenforceable) "privacy" law to attempt to restrict hobbyist flying.

So, yes and no. They wrote a law (TX HB 912) that makes it legal in 19 or so scenarios to fly & film from these things. One of those legal scenarios is when the property is public. Also, for any footage of private property or persons thereupon, there must be an "intent" to surveil.

Personally, I believe that one can protect ones self by filing flight plans stating intent of flight...with whom? I don't know. I'm new. I go to an empty park and practice.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4