Does anyone polish their props or phantom to make it smooth in the air
'Every little helps"

Wax On, Wax Off :)

FlyingFox said:
This is a light hearted question, as. I have had a beer ,,,,,,,or two
Does anyone polish their props or phantom to make it smooth in the air
'Every little helps"

Nah... I like my props to dig into the air, not slip through it... :lol:

I clean mine with baby wipes if it gets dirty.
Sometimes I land in grass that is a bit taller than it should be and the blades do some lawn mowing.
This gets green stuff and grass clippings on the blades and splatters it on the shell. No harm done just dirty. So baby wipes work great.

I do think a clean prop is better for aerodynamics but how much better I cannot tell you, it is probably negligible.

I have been polishing my props using auto polish for some years on other RC aircraft and I do notice a marginally smoother flight.

The smoother the flow of air with less disruption over the aerofoil surface, improves velocity and subsequent lift (thrust). That is why aircraft wings / props are constantly cleaned to maintain efficiency. I noticed one reply suggested they preferred grippier props, this is drag, something you really won't to eliminate from the aerofoil surface. Drag disturbs airflow and reduces lift / thrust...not good. I have also polished my Vision props, just occasionally, gives me constant flight times (18mins+) and slightly smoother video footage. It also means that bugs / insects don't stick to the prop during a mission. Give it a try...I think it's one of those 'one' percenters that works.

GazLowe said:
I have been polishing my props using auto polish for some years on other RC aircraft and I do notice a marginally smoother flight.

The smoother the flow of air with less disruption over the aerofoil surface, improves velocity and subsequent lift (thrust). That is why aircraft wings / props are constantly cleaned to maintain efficiency. I noticed one reply suggested they preferred grippier props, this is drag, something you really won't to eliminate from the aerofoil surface. Drag disturbs airflow and reduces lift / thrust...not good. I have also polished my Vision props, just occasionally, gives me constant flight times (18mins+) and slightly smoother video footage. It also means that bugs / insects don't stick to the prop during a mission. Give it a try...I think it's one of those 'one' percenters that works.

Interesting...like just good old turtle wax or something?

Although the point being correct about laminar flow, I don't see any difference. I would change your props if ANY damage can be felt.

Cleaning for visual esthetics can easily be accomplished with a VERY lightly damp "Magic Eraser". Some Armor All or similar for protection works well for me. Just be careful about water/liquids around electronics.

Happy flying!

Captain Robert High

OI Photography said:
GazLowe said:

Interesting...like just good old turtle wax or something?

Yes that would work...Capt Robert High said in replying to this thread that Armour All would work...have tried this and agree. As I said it's a 'one' percenter. Bottom line is clean is good, dirty props (bugs / stains etc) isn't. posting.php?mode=quote&f=7&p=113812#

Yep, I always clean the insect debris off the props with Mr Sheen multi surface polish, as well as giving a nice smooth surface for the aerodynamics I find it is a good way of spotting any small chips or damage on the leading edges.
( Like when you polish your car that's when you find all the new scratches :roll: )

I find it best to spray any polish from an aerosol onto the cleaning rag instead of directly onto the props this will prevent accidently spraying liquid into the windings of the electric prop motor.

All the best,

Steve.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic