Police visited me today 1 day after buying Phantom 3

So, why do you think the officer even bothered to come talk to me?
As you said "Turns out the officer was super friendly and genuinely interested in it and came to take a look at it" He was just interested and he was tasked by the Sgt, to followup on the report, not unusual at all. I am a retired LEO and Neighbor complaints are a PIA, by nice to you neighbor guy's and Gal's, I have seen some nasty wars jump off. Killing pets, pouring Roundup on trees and shrubs that crossed property lines, one guy even hired a surveyor to check property lines, found the neighbors pool was 1 foot inside his easement, and took him to court to move it. By coming out to check he can contact the RP and tell them no laws were broken.

As you said "Turns out the officer was super friendly and genuinely interested in it and came to take a look at it" He was just interested and he was tasked by the Sgt, to followup on the report, not unusual at all. I am a retired LEO and Neighbor complaints are a PIA, by nice to you neighbor guy's and Gal's, I have seen some nasty wars jump off. Killing pets, pouring Roundup on trees and shrubs that crossed property lines, one guy even hired a surveyor to check property lines, found the neighbors pool was 1 foot inside his easement, and took him to court to move it. By coming out to check he can contact the RP and tell them no laws were broken.
Cool.

We are still required to investigate to make sure that no laws have been broken. All he was getting was the complainants side of the story which is usually blown way out of proportion on stuff trivial like this but to be fair we still have to make contact, if possible, with the other party. Most of the time on stuff like this I would have done just as this officer did. Make friendly, non invasive contact, make sure no crimes were committed and report back to the complainant that he's basically SOL and hopefully he won't call us anymore.

I suspect he will call the station often, and also lobby in the neighborhood...just my guess...

you know, this was written then line of sight meant you see your drone physically. I am wondering what the ipad view does to change this. I can say that I have better control of my P3 with the ipad app. I know distance, speed and height. I know where it is on a map and I can see real time where I am going. Would not this be superior to line of sight? Because my experience with flying helis is that you often loose orientation and crash. Well, there's no way to loose orientation on something you can see with the eye and have compass reading. It would make sense to me to include the view on my screen as "line of sight"

Unfortunately you are not flying LOS, you are flying BLOS (Beyond Line of Sight) regardless whether you have FPV enabled or not. You need to be able to see your drone with a naked eye at all times - that is LOS flying. And for the present, that is the pseudo law in the US.

I've decided not to fly over my neighborhood, not that any of my neighbors really care. But to me urban places hardly are interesting visually, unless old and abandoned. I prefer nature and luckily there's loads of it available. It is funny though how some people really think they are so special and important that people want fly over to spy them... lol
I agree. The roofs of my neighborhood soon became as boring as the RC Club's flying field. I prefer to get away from structures and people for the most part, and observe new vistas.

Reactions: SouthBayPhoto
We have been truly blessed with our 7.2 earthquake, 68% of the houses will be pulled down in just our own street and new houses put in place, this gives many hours of new recordings as the years pass.

Reading back I feel there's something wrong in my post, I'm sure I'll work it out.
:)
Smiley faces are a disclaimer to a week personality
:)
bugger

Reactions: maxwell smart
So, why do you think the officer even bothered to come talk to me?

Because a citizen called and they have a duty to perform. Doesn't mean it's criminal. They are public servants. Probably saw the call on the screen and thought it would be cool to check out. Heck if I know. Lol.

When I got my P2V+, I posted this on the Facebook page.

"Ok, so everyone and their brother keeps telling me how my RC helicopter "drone" is creepy because you can spy on people. They don't realize how ridiculous that sounds.

This picture shows my phantom, its price and what I can see with it. It also shows a pair of binoculars, its price and what you can see with it. Now you tell me if your privacy is threatened by these flying toys!"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,493
Yup. There are much more efficient ways to spy on someone than using a phantom. People prefer what they hear on the 24 hours news cycle over fact. Our local paper proclaimed "Drones, which have been used by the United States in attacks abroad against terrorists, are sold by major retailers, including Walmart and Best Buy". Dang. If my neighbor were flying a Predator Drone loaded with a Hellcat around my neighborhood, I'd have questions too! :)

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2015/01/19/state-lawmaker-wants-restrict-drones/22021615/

Cars! That's right, cars. Exactly like the ones used as Vehicle Born Improvised Explosive Devices (VBIED) in Iraq and Afghanistan are being marketed in the USA as safe and family-friendly by some well known manufacturers you might've heard of: Ford, Chrysler and even General Motors are the key players in United States we must keep our eye on!

Reactions: _007 and landmannnn
When I got my P2V+, I posted this on the Facebook page.

"Ok, so everyone and their brother keeps telling me how my RC helicopter "drone" is creepy because you can spy on people. They don't realize how ridiculous that sounds.

This picture shows my phantom, its price and what I can see with it. It also shows a pair of binoculars, its price and what you can see with it. Now you tell me if your privacy is threatened by these flying toys!"

Nice screengrab from Back to the Future.

Please,Please go up 100 Feet up take a selfie of yourself put it on facebook or warever see how many people recognize you? wide angle lenses are made to take pics of landscape not people, and Voice don't give a dam about KillerCut Opinion he is all over this forums trashing DJI ,Arkansas has a lot of open areas to fly , so go out and enjoy your Bird

Question for you. Do you think that if I were flying and an officer walks up on me, He would allow me to land and not take my eyes off the bird in flight? How should I ask for this? Best courteous response, I guess.

I was flying a few weeks back in an area out of way but near rail row etc. An officer drove down and I saw him so I just left it parked about 100 fott up and said hi and notified of chl(ohio law). he laughed and said him too!
anyhow a moment of friendly words and away he went and I went back to my quad

another time I mentioned it to a local police chief while on a service call.
I said I had 2 in car and the words were , what are you waiting for ?
outside we went!

We are still required to investigate to make sure that no laws have been broken. All he was getting was the complainants side of the story which is usually blown way out of proportion on stuff trivial like this but to be fair we still have to make contact, if possible, with the other party. Most of the time on stuff like this I would have done just as this officer did. Make friendly, non invasive contact, make sure no crimes were committed and report back to the complainant that he's basically SOL and hopefully he won't call us anymore.

yea , I am ham and I listen a lot in background and to say some(many, most) of the calls are stupid is being very nice.

usually frequent customers as well..

Please,Please go up 100 Feet up take a selfie of yourself put it on facebook or warever see how many people recognize you? wide angle lenses are made to take pics of landscape not people, and Voice don't give a dam about KillerCut Opinion he is all over this forums trashing DJI ,Arkansas has a lot of open areas to fly , so go out and enjoy your Bird

What? I don't understand this post at all.

dont worry about privacy just enjoy your bird, and KillerCut is a user that like to trash dji, seen him all over phPilots

Reactions: SouthBayPhoto

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl