Police helicopters & drones

Reaction score
I live on a hill now and it's the perfect place to fly a drone. I just charge it at home then walk onto the patio and go flying.

But I saw a police helicopter in the distance around my area looking for a suspect on the run. They had search lights, kept circling around, and talked on the loudspeaker telling the person to surrender. But my area is an okay to fly zone according to the app. I do have airplanes flying over me that are going to an airport 10-15 miles away but they're going to be way above 400 feet.

I don't see many helicopters but last night was an exception. There was a helicopter pretty close to my hill and probably within close proximity to the 400 feet mark where the drone flies. But what if I flew my drone around the area where the pilot could see it but not near the helicopter. Could I get in trouble even though technically it's an okay to fly zone?

They had a loudspeaker so could they tell me to land my drone or something? I could totally hear them from where I was, they kept telling the suspect to put their hands up and they can't outrun a helicopter. But ya they're in my 2 recent vids if anyone wants to see them, you can hear them talking which is pretty crazy.

But ya what if I'm flying first and the police helicopter arrives later. Or what if I brought out the drone because I saw a police helicopter and wanted to record it up close?

J-Wei (@jetfalcon) • Instagram photos and videos

if you see a police heli looking around best thing to due is land wait till they leave be a responsible pilot and don't interfere with the police gives us a bad rep

I get where you're coming from , but at the end of the day. Police have lots more resources and manpower than the average citizen with or without a drone. I steer clear as I have already been down that road of testing who would win in a battle with the police.

Even if you win it tends to shrink one's bank account rather quickly.

If you must fly in an area where emergency vehicles are present be prepared for the potential negative outcome.

I'll check out the video though cause its great to see these sorts of events unfold.

You may want to read this post to see what someone else with a drone near police helicopters experienced

Drone, police helicopter almost collide

Last edited:
Reactions: pomonabill220
As has been said, if you see a helicopter doing orbits, you should land as fast as you safely can. Don't rely on the app for where it is safe or not to fly. You have to use your own judgement.

Why don't police just use drones now when looking for suspects. Seems more economical if they just need to find someone.

Why don't police just use drones now when looking for suspects. Seems more economical if they just need to find someone.

But choppers are faster and they do not rely on a 25 minute battery. Choppers also cover more ground and they have multiple people watching every angle instead of one and wouldn't constantly need to keep going 360 potentially missing the suspect.

Don't forget that the police chopper may only have the one pilot and the pilot could be focused on the suspect since the tower would alert incoming aircraft of their position. The pilot may not be focused on if a drone was in the area and in addition, you don't know what the suspect is doing or if they may be getting in a car to run, in which the chopper may make random moves in the air. As stated, just best to land until the airspace is clear. Besides, if you have a tablet/smartphone, you could possibly load up a scanner app to possibly hear the scattered communication between the police and chopper...that is, if there is a scanner relaying in your area.

Reactions: Desoto Drone

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj