POLARPRO UV FILTER?

Zzz

Reaction score
Any idea if switching the stock UV filter that comes with the Phantom 4 Pro for Polar Pro UV filter will get better results when shooting towards the sun? They say "The PolarPro UV filter is multi-coated to help reduce lens flaring when shooting into the sun.". The way it's written it comes off as if the stock one is not multi-coated, which I doubt... or of lesser quality. They also call it an "upgrade" to the stock UV filter, and I'm wondering if it truly is?

I'll pay $30 for better image quality and nicer flares, but not if it's more or less the same as the stock one...

Phantom 4 Pro-UV Filter

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
Any idea if switching the stock UV filter that comes with the Phantom 4 Pro for Polar Pro UV filter will get better results when shooting towards the sun? They say "The PolarPro UV filter is multi-coated to help reduce lens flaring when shooting into the sun.". The way it's written it comes off as if the stock one is not multi-coated, which I doubt... or of lesser quality. They also call it an "upgrade" to the stock UV filter, and I'm wondering if it truly is?

I'll pay $30 for better image quality and nicer flares, but not if it's more or less the same as the stock one...

Phantom 4 Pro-UV Filter
I, for one, find the minimal flaring with stock filter quite acceptable. I am not sure there is much to gain from a different filter but would of course like to know if anyone has tested.

Phantom 4 Pro-UV Filter
Prob won't be much diff tbo. But the ND filters they sell are def worth it. These help keep your video tuned in to right shutter speeds no matter aperture you want to shoot at. If shooting stills mainly, I would still use Polar Pro's ND filters for everything. Had them for almost a year on my P4 and they are excellent. Waiting on the Cinema Shutter Collection as we speak. The coatings on their glass is very good imo.

Reactions: Eddyfisher
I, for one, find the minimal flaring with stock filter quite acceptable. I am not sure there is much to gain from a different filter but would of course like to know if anyone has tested.
Yeah, it's not horrible, but it's also not the nicest kind of flaring... if I could get better results the $30 would be worth it to me.

Prob won't be much diff tbo. But the ND filters they sell are def worth it. These help keep your video tuned in to right shutter speeds no matter aperture you want to shoot at. If shooting stills mainly, I would still use Polar Pro's ND filters for everything. Had them for almost a year on my P4 and they are excellent. Waiting on the Cinema Shutter Collection as we speak. The coatings on their glass is very good imo.
Yeah, that's why I'm asking now. Will be ordering the NDs tomorrow and am wondering whether I should get the UVs as well...

Why would you be using the NDs for stills though? That doesn't make sense to me... not unless you want longer exposures for some reason?

Yeah, that's why I'm asking now. Will be ordering the NDs tomorrow and am wondering whether I should get the UVs as well...

Why would you be using the NDs for stills though? That doesn't make sense to me... not unless you want longer exposures for some reason?
I use them just for the quality of the coatings on their glass. Plus it allows me to shoot at F 2.8 if I wanted to photography something in closer that I wanted to really blur background more. But they are on there all the time for the video mainly to help with getting right shutter speed at wider apertures and to help with flare and protect lens. It will help with your size of your sun flare if you compared with and without. I would not waste any money on just UV filters. I leave ND on 24/7 unless I'm gonna fly at night. Then it's the stock UV for that.

Just purchased these P4P Vivid Filters from PolarPro yesterday and receiving in a few days. Will post some pics to compare!

These were shipped within a day, rather than waiting for the official DJI filters.

Just purchased these P4P Vivid Filters from PolarPro yesterday and receiving in a few days. Will post some pics to compare!

These were shipped within a day, rather than waiting for the official DJI filters.
Sounds great! They are supposed to be shipping my Shutter Collection Filters in a couple days I hope. Had them ordered now for several weeks. Worth the wait though since it's not been flying weather here much anyway. lol

Reactions: smokinsound
Sounds great! They are supposed to be shipping my Shutter Collection Filters in a couple days I hope. Had them ordered now for several weeks. Worth the wait though since it's not been flying weather here much anyway. lol

I have the Vivid Collection (ND4PL, ND8PL, and ND16PL). Haven't flown with them yet because of the rain but the quality of the lens is pretty amazing.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
All I know is that my Polar Pro ND's can't get here soon enough. My standard lens was killing this sunrise shot...

2017-01-18 03_02_44-Greenshot.jpg

2017-01-18 03_05_39-Greenshot.jpg

All I know is that my Polar Pro ND's can't get here soon enough. My standard lens was killing this sunrise shot...

View attachment 73787

View attachment 73788
Exactly the kind of flare I was hoping to be able to avoid with PP UV filter...

What makes you think Polar Pro NDs won't have that same ugly flare?

Plus do you really wanna be shooting sunrises and sundowns (limited light) with NDs?

Exactly the kind of flare I was hoping to be able to avoid with PP UV filter...

What makes you think Polar Pro NDs won't have that same ugly flare?

Plus do you really wanna be shooting sunrises and sundowns (limited light) with NDs?

I'll probably be using ND's during daylight hours. Maybe even a lower ND for sunrises. The best choice would be a graduated ND for sunrise or sunset. I've thought the DJI lenses and filters to seem to have a "plasticy" quality to their lens flares. Not very flattering at all. Polar Pro's seems to be much more pleasing, although there might also be some tonal changing happening, even though it should technically be "neutral". We shall see!

I saw this newer footage with Polar Pro's ND32 being used, but it was too cloud to shoot directly into the sun. Inconclusive, but the filters really do a nice job of controlling the dynamics of the image.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have the Vivid Collection (ND4PL, ND8PL, and ND16PL). Haven't flown with them yet because of the rain but the quality of the lens is pretty amazing.
Only reason I didn't go with the Vivid Collection for my P4P like I had on my P4 is that they are all Polarizers this time. Didn't want to have to mess with rotating them just right for the shot depending on sun angle. And your angle to the sun can be changing all the time. Let me know how you like your Vivid set Kman!

Reactions: Kman
I ordered both Vivid and Shutter collections. The Vivid collection arrives on Friday 1/20. Pilots: Don't forget to use the discount code 'welcomewinter' for 10% off.

I ordered both Vivid and Shutter collections. The Vivid collection arrives on Friday 1/20. Pilots: Don't forget to use the discount code 'welcomewinter' for 10% off.
Mike...How do you know the filters will arrive the 20th? Did they send out a notice I missed?

Mike...How do you know the filters will arrive the 20th? Did they send out a notice I missed?

Hi Ric, I received a tracking number for first order (Vivid's) yesterday. Expected delivery Friday 1/20.

Hi Ric, I received a tracking number for first order (Vivid's) yesterday. Expected delivery Friday 1/20.
Thanks Mike...they must be watching this thread as I just got a note from them...I had cancelled my original Vivid order and re-ordered the combo kit so apparently got pushed back a few days...They said all orders out by Tuesday next...

Thanks Mike...they must be watching this thread as I just got a note from them...I had cancelled my original Vivid order and re-ordered the combo kit so apparently got pushed back a few days...They said all orders out by Tuesday next...[/QUOTEI
I also cancelled my Vivid order and immediately turned around and ordered the Shutter Collection. Wonder if they will also ship out next Tues. I did not get an email today on it yet. LOL. Hey btw, are you the dude that crashed into the Seattle Space Needle? LOL. Just teasing man. Saw that you were from West Seattle. hehe

Nope not me...we have plenty of idiots flying locally but I'm not one..I'm old fashion and fly within the rules.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen