PolarPro P4P Lens Cover & Gimbal Guard

Reaction score
Good evening.

I just completed a super quick video review on the new PolarPro lens cover / gimbal guard if any of the other P4P owners out here have been looking for a solution.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Happy, safe flying!

Good evening.

I just completed a super quick video review on the new PolarPro lens cover / gimbal guard if any of the other P4P owners out here have been looking for a solution.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Happy, safe flying!
Just ordered one thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: AerialZ
Yep but most of this Chinese plastic stuff is that expensive in photography too. Probably cost 50 cents to make.

$20 sure seems steep for what it is.
Agreed. But no one else is offering something similar (that I've seen.) To me, $20 is nothing to protect my small fortune invested in their ND filters. Someone could 3D print them at a much lower cost if they invested the time on the engineering side of things.

$20 sure seems steep for what it is

Consider what it does... there is the value. It is well made and has that sort of 'grippy rubbery' feel to it. I know it is a cheap thing to produce and, if you do get one, you will immediately feel that there is more money in the PACKAGING than there is in the product. That said, I consider it 20 bucks well spent. I will not be stressing the rubber on the skids with the stock protector and, it is BLACK and not CLEAR, lessening the chance that I power up with the protector in place. Shoot - the only way they could make it better would be if it was dayglo green.

Reactions: AerialZ
I know it is a cheap thing to produce and, if you do get one, you will immediately feel that there is more money in the PACKAGING than there is in the product.
Probably because there is ;). I also don't like that there is no external stabilization point, so the gimbal is not completely protected/immobilized. Maybe not an important concern, I dunno.

But the dayglo isn't a bad idea, a dab of paint would fix that. Of course that would apply to any gimbal protector.

Probably because there is ;). I also don't like that there is no external stabilization point, so the gimbal is not completely protected/immobilized. Maybe not an important concern, I dunno.

But the dayglo isn't a bad idea, a dab of paint would fix that. Of course that would apply to any gimbal protector.

The rubberized finish lets it grip the 'turret' above the gimbal with a fair amount of resistance. I know it is not as solid as the factory unit, and it I was shipping my P4P back to DJI I would definitely use theirs, but the gimbal is not going anywhere with the normal stresses of transporting it to and from locations. And, once you get the hang of it, it is a LOT faster to take off and put on.

I don't like this either. What is this actually protecting without locking the gimbal in place?

I don't like this either. What is this actually protecting without locking the gimbal in place?

The upper collar of the support clasps fairly firmly onto the 'turret' that is the first link in the gimbal assembly. It is form fitted and when it slips over that part of the gimbal, another part of the stabilizer (rubberized finish) rests just firmly enough under the bird's body to hold things in place. For typical handling I see no reason to think that this would not be 100% effective. If you DROPPED it then the factory unit will likely do better... but it is so large that is it POSSIBLE that the factory unit could transmit unwanted force to the gimbal if the fall was broken by the legs of the factory protector.

For day to day use I am using the PolarPro. If I need to check it as baggage or need to ship it - I will use the factory model.

Yes, it looks like it is trying to fill in the gap between the gimbal base and the aircraft to try to prevent lateral shaking and if so it seems that would be adequate for casual use.

I was expecting to be all over this when I first bought my PolarPro filter set but in actual use I found myself simply reinstalling the factory UV filter when finished flying for the day (since I had no idea what ND filter, if any, I would be using on my next flight anyway), so I really haven't experienced much hassle is just using the factory guard. I'm sure there are conceivable circumstances where the PP unit might be helpful though and I can see how some might find it useful, I'm just not sure it really would be for me. If it were the $6.95 that it should be, maybe. It's not that the cost is that big a deal but I'm just getting fatigued with drone accessory gouging, by all manufacturers. It almost makes cellphone cases look like a good deal in comparison. :)

Last edited:
It is filling the gap and provides adequate resistance to keep the gimbal in place. The big selling point here is the ability to use it with any lens in place, whether OEM or any of PolarPro's filters. I cannot speak how it would work with other manufacturers. They should throw it in free for those that purchase their entire line of ND's! :rolleyes:

I can tell you this... overpriced or not, it is a great improvement over the OEM gimbal guard that actually puts stress on the gimbal assembly during installation/removal. I think it provides adequate protection with just the right amount of flexibility while maintaining an easy on/off application.

Just got one, and to comment, the stock guard holds the gimbal "up" in a position with no stress on it. The polarpro pulls down on the rubber diaphragm and holds it in a position that is further "down" than normal gravity would allow. Id say this thing is the "stressful" one.

I created my own by just cutting off the front circle off the original gimbal guard

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen