PolarPro Filter Gimbal Mod

I took a look through most of the feedback and think it is all great. Here is what we designed for on the gimbal lock. Feel free to chime in with more feedback, good or bad, it helps us design better products for you guys.

The first objective of the P4 lens cover was to provide protection for the camera lens / filter while in transit / storage.

The second objective was to prevent the gimbal from violently moving around during transit. In order to lock the gimbal completely, you do need the design to lock to the legs. When our employees and our pro team reviewed it, everyone decided they wanted a lens cover that was easier to install / remove, rather than fully locking down the gimbal.

The third objective was to make it compatible with our other P4 accessories. Two accessories launching in the next couple weeks are the gimbal guard and landing gear, both with grab the legs of the P4.

In summary, we wanted to make a Lens Cover / Lock, compatible with our filters, that protects the lens and gimbal during transit, and is very easy to install and remove.

Let me know if you guys have any further feedback! Appreciate it all,

Jeff

It's definitely easier to install/remove than the factory clamp and does offer better lens protection than the factory clamp. I think it all boils down to preference...

Active mobile operators will likely want the speed and ease of your current design so they can quick deploy and recover the aircraft from location to location and the full cover of the lens helps keeps debris out while on the move.

For myself, I will typically setup ground station in one location and stay there all day. I'm not gentle with cased gear so maximum gimbal protection is what is important to me.

Perhaps offer both styles? Either way, I think you guys are doing a fantastic job and your customer support is some of the best I've experienced.

~Joe

It's definitely easier to install/remove than the factory clamp and does offer better lens protection than the factory clamp. I think it all boils down to preference...

Active mobile operators will likely want the speed and ease of your current design so they can quick deploy and recover the aircraft from location to location and the full cover of the lens helps keeps debris out while on the move.

For myself, I will typically setup ground station in one location and stay there all day. I'm not gentle with cased gear so maximum gimbal protection is what is important to me.

Perhaps offer both styles? Either way, I think you guys are doing a fantastic job and your customer support is some of the best I've experienced.

~Joe

I agree. I have gone the combination route of both PP and factory gimbal lock as I take my Phantom on snowmobile and in boat and I need full gimbal lockdown, no movement. The complete lens cover keeps the lens clean and I am happy with the combination setup.

image.jpeg

The stock OEM guard with the front lens protection extended out a bit would be ideal. I chose to use the stock guard with the front cut off.

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
Just got the gimbal lock with some filters. First thing I noticed was how it pulls down on the gimbal. It looks looks it stresses the dampening system unnecessarily.

Someone with a 3D printer should start manufacturing a gimbal lock like the stock one with a little more space for filters.

Just got the gimbal lock with some filters. First thing I noticed was how it pulls down on the gimbal. It looks looks it stresses the dampening system unnecessarily.
Someone with a 3D printer should start manufacturing a gimbal lock like the stock one with a little more space for filters.

Hi Julian,

It does not stress the dampening system to a point of damage, and we warrant against any damage caused. We stand behind our products, they are solid and guaranteed to be compatible.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
-Jeff

I've found the Polar Pro gimbal lock has fallen off a couple of times. Especially when I'm driving on some of NZ's bumpy farm tracks...and that's when the kit has been in its aluminium case, which itself is sat on top of the spare coats I carry in the back! The solution I've come up with is to use the original gimbal guard at the same time, with the circular flat edge rested up against the back of the gimbal. For extra stability I slide in a sliver of cork to dampen any jolts. It's the best of both worlds IMO...slightly harder to get ready to fly (by about 2 seconds), but easier than using the original lock and swapping out filters each flight.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I got a PolarPro gimbal lock courtesy of Jeff for the cost of shipping as I had already spent £200 ($300) on filters. Great service, thanks.

That said, I do not use it for many of the reasons stated above. If and when I use the filters (the weather has not been very conducive) then I will use the PolarPro guard for temporary transport protection between sites but once done for the day and for overnight storage or longer transport I will restore the DJI UV filter and their gimbal guard.

I do like the hackery above and may well consider it later :)

I have the advanced. Purchased polar cover said not for pro
It did not fit anyone know what fits advanced. Dji had no clue

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31