Polarizing filter...How to attach?

Believe me, you're not an idiot. I learned by submitting a new thread, like you did. On the Phantom 4 camera, there is a stock lens. You need to remove that outer lens and then replace it with the new lens. I tried forcing it off by using a pair of pliers, but was unsuccessful. A fellow forum user suggested that I use a rubber band around the lens to apply better pressure. Sure enough, it just twisted off. It is the initial removal that is the most difficult. Once removed, the lens comes off and goes on very smoothly.

What filter did you buy? (Do you have a link to the seller's page?)

To install it, you just unscrew the standard glass filter currently in place over the camera lens and then screw on the filter you bought.

Note that there isn't much call for a polarizing filter on a drone... It will reduce reflections on water etc, but it must be oriented correctly to accomplish this. The orientation depends on the drone's height, angle of the sun etc.. Orienting the filter is tough to do with the craft in the air. Polarizers tend to work better on handheld cameras where they can be adjusted with one hand to the correct angle as you look through the viewfinder.

What you need are neutral density filters (ND filters) The Phantom lens has a fixed aperture so you need dark filters reduce the amount of light. This will make video footage smoother.

What filter did you buy? (Do you have a link to the seller's page?)

To install it, you just unscrew the standard glass filter currently in place over the camera lens and then screw on the filter you bought.

Note that there isn't much call for a polarizing filter on a drone... It will reduce reflections on water etc, but it must be oriented correctly to accomplish this. The orientation depends on the drone's height, angle of the sun etc.. Orienting the filter is tough to do with the craft in the air. Polarizers tend to work better on handheld cameras where they can be adjusted with one hand to the correct angle as you look through the viewfinder.

What you need are neutral density filters (ND filters) The Phantom lens has a fixed aperture so you need dark filters reduce the amount of light. This will make video footage smoother.

Thanks to you all!

I found it easy to unscrew the "glass" that WAS on the P4 and screw in my polarizer. Yes I know how it works as I've been "interested" in still photography for most of my life. Even without orientation I find that it renders the sky in a more pleasing manner and even without orientation, is better than plain glass for water. Most of all I like it for protection of the lens.

I will now order ND on Amazon. Thanks.

BUT now with it on, the gimbal lock/brace won't fit. Any solutions to that? I'd like one with a long red ribbon (I guess I can tape or glue on on), like a pitot tube cover on an airplane, so I won't forget an power-on P4 with it in place.

Thanks to you all!

I found it easy to unscrew the "glass" that WAS on the P4 and screw in my polarizer. Yes I know how it works as I've been "interested" in still photography for most of my life. Even without orientation I find that it renders the sky in a more pleasing manner and even without orientation, is better than plain glass for water. Most of all I like it for protection of the lens.

BUT now with it on, the gimbal lock/brace won't fit. Any solutions to that? I'd like one with a long red ribbon (I guess I can tape or glue on on), like a pitot tube cover on an airplane, so I won't forget an power-on P4 with it in place.

Hello
Have you check the polar pro filter? It seem they are the best. There are another brand Neewer with is cheaper but i dont know the reviews...

About the gimbal lock. Just spray Red paint on it :)

Yes thanks. But the problem with gimbal lock is that when I put the polarizing filter on the P4, the standard gimbal lock won't fit on anymore. But yes, when I find how to get one that will fit now, i will paint it red. Thanks.

Thanks to you all!

I bought the Polar Pro Vivid Collection of polarizing ND filters. Since, they are a little wider in diameter, I also got the Polar Pro lens cover / gimbal lock here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DTKT3H8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20