Polarizer filters

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the best brand of polarizer filters for the Phantom 3A and where is the best place to purchase them.

Reactions: Donald
You can find a list of all of the commonly used lens filters here. Polar Pro filters are nice, but they are not the only game in town.

I just bought the 3-pack for P3. Purchased directly from Polar Pro and saved 15% with code sharkpro (or proshark, i forget). They are also including a free filter case for orders from their website. I was impressed with the quality of the "free" case (filters are a bit pricey though).

Seems like everyone is buying the 3 pack from Polar PRO $69.99. Is this the pack with PL1, ND4 & ND8? Or is there another pack that I should be looking at?

Polar Pro has a few packs available here. The 6-pack is going to be more useful than the 3-pack you mentioned above.

If you desire polarizer, Get the cinema series 3-pack. It includes ND/Pol 8 and 16, ND32. This will give you the greatest range for your shots. Use the discount code mentioned above.

Do you find you have to adjust the polarizer if you change shots?
This is best to inquire of polar pro. They advertise a polarizer not a circular polarizer which is optimized when turning.

They told me you should align when using. I'm wondering if anyone does or if it really makes a difference

It must make a difference, if you turn the Polarizer filter (CP) in front of a computer screen you can definitely see the different filter effects. I was curious to know why it swivelled, now I know that I just have to figure out how to use it effectively when flying.
I will try the alignment suggestion.
I am shooting on a bright day with snow covered fields and clear blue skies.
Does any one have any suggestions or tips.

It absolutely makes a difference.

A polarizer filter is used in many different ways. First, it is used to cut reflections from glass surfaces like windows and display counters. While looking through the lens (with the polarizer on obviously), rotate the polarizer and you will find a spot there the reflections mostly disappear and you can see right through the glass.

Another use is to affect skies and clouds. As you rotate the polarizer, you will see the sky darken and the clouds become more contrasty. Its an artistic thing. Too much of it and it looks wrong. You need to view the image through the lens (ie on your device) and then rotate the polarizer until you see the effect and amount you desire in your images. Then get airborn and snap a few to make sure you got what you want. The affect varies with your angle to the sun.

What a polarizer does is filter out (mostly) light that is not aligned to the filter's axis. Think of it this way, if you took a piece of paper and scribbled back and forth, up and down, diagnals all over it then you cut a slit in another piece of paper and placed it on top of the one you scribbled on, you would only see the scribbles that were aligned to the slit. As you rotate the slit, other scribbles become visible. Thats a basic description on what the polarizer does. Light is like the scribbles and the polarizer is the slit. As you rotate it, it excludes some like while letting others through.

Another thing to consider is where you live. I'm in the southwest. The sun comes up you absolutely need at a minimum ND8. At noon minimum 16 maybe 32. Just my .02

If you live where it is really bright ensure your kit goes up to 32.

**** this thread... I've had the polar pro 6 pack on my wish list at amazon for some time now, and reading this, I just pulled the trigger. I was more or less holding off in concerns about the weight, or if counter weight would be necessary. I've seen people tape on dimes and junk to offset the balance of the filter. Will have to see how it goes...

Thanks wolf and mojo, I will try fiddling with it.
Here are my parameters, bright snow, bright sky and darker forested areas and light changes drastically depending on the shooting alignment to the sun.
It's a jungle to get it right.

Most good photography is. Its not a point and shoot world out there but so many attempt to make their cameras do so.

You are so right on that.
I couldn't understand the poor results with the polarizer lens but I will try the alignment adjustments......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers