Polarising and ND filters, screw-on or push-on? What is recommended?

Reaction score
I am about to buy a circular polarising filter and 2 neutral density filters (ND4 & ND8) and I see that there is a choice of either a push-on type or a threaded screw-on type.

What do people use most and has anyone had any experiences of the push-on type slipping off?
I imagine the risk is greatest when facing the camera directly down.

Do you remove the standard UV filter that is in place when installing your filters?

Thank you,

Pete.

Push on type that I got was SO hard to take off that I thought that I will break the camera. Buy screw on type and dont overtight them, when/if you manage to remove original filter.

There should be some light filter with rubber ring which would be perfect for fast replacement but there isnt, there are normal metal ones with layer of hard rubber inside the ring and they are PITA to mount and to remove. I bought Neewer set which is perfect and you can mount original gimbal lock with them.

I prefer the screw ons that are the same diameter as OEM so I can use my gimbal clamp (aftermarket lens cap type) without switching them out. Had to return the original polarpros I got because they're juuuust wide enough to prevent this.

...also yes, they replace the stock UV filter. Recommend picking up a bottle of blue thread locker (loctite) to keep the aftermarket ones from vibrating loose

Kit Walker, I compared many of the commonly used ND filters in this thread. After trying them all myself, I found the screw-on filters are the easiest to use and most secure.

Thanks guys for your replies.
I have ordered Polar Pro filters - circular polariser, ND 4 and a ND 8.
They are all screw on and I have also ordered a combination gimbal-lock/ lens cover that fits over the Polar Pro filters.
I took your suggestion on-board DefautIT re the Locktite.
The idea seems good but how does this work whenever you want to change filters?
I think I will sit on this one for a while. Thanks.

Thanks to all,

Pete.

I've got a set of screw-on ND filters ND 8, 16, 32 and 64. I also have a variable ND filter from 2-400 and I've not (so far) had any problem with any of them unscrewing in flight. However, I did break the ND8 lens the first time I used it, presumably from overtightening it, as there was no rubber o-ring fitted. I now realise that it would have been better to have used the o-ring from the original lens cover, or bought some extras.

Last edited:
I bought the BTG screw on filters and I'm happy with my choice. Identical size as the original, each comes with a gasket and it's own hard storage case.
Never had any issues with them loosings off, etc...
Canadian site so price appears high :)
https://www.amazon.ca/BTG-Multi-coa...d=1475944896&sr=8-6&keywords=Phantom+3+filter

I also bought the BTG set, they work great. If you take your time and don't try to muscle them on and off you shouldn't have any problems they're great set of filters. Be careful not to cross thread when putting them on...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

@Kit Walker I would not recommend any Loctite on your filters (unless u have some unusual need for it). The aluminum threads are already galling and always will so you should not have any trouble with screwed filters coming off in flight.

If anything I recommend a spec of aluminum thread dope so you can get easily get the filters on and off.
I use a toothpick to apply the smallest amount (less is better) of thread dope I can, and then just rub it around. I'm not trying to get every thread as the product will displace itself more evenly when you take your filters on and off.

Reactions: STAINLESS
Thanks guys for your replies.

I value your feedback.

I have found an easy way to unscrew filters off the camera lens.

Using the prop-tightening spanner, I 'wrap' the circular part of the spanner around the filter then gently but firmly give it a slight turn until it loosens.

DO NOT, twist the spanner by the handles because they will break.

Gently wrap your hand around the circular part of the spanner and carefully twist the filter loose.

Remove the spanner and loosen the filter the rest of the way by hand.

It worked well for me.

Thanks again.

Pete.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan