Polar Pro vs Snake River Prototyping Filters - You Decide

It was early morning and dark enough that I didnt really need the filter but I wanted to try it out anyway, so here is my first video with the SRP filter.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: numbphoto
Here is a quick test i did today shot in 4K and uploaded in 4K with the SRP ND8/CP. Filter is heavy, but gimbal handles it fine, and horizon stays perfect. Only suggestion would to face your lens straight down before powering off as when you do it swings down fast. Colors/clarity is great, SRP nails it again. Will get the ND16 when it comes out next.

Great testing ground for a CP....open water! Nice work and thanks for posting.

Do you guys recommend always use a cp or its better to order the cp nd8 and nd8? If you could order 2 filters which one did you choose from srp?

Do you guys recommend always use a cp or its better to order the cp nd8 and nd8? If you could order 2 filters which one did you choose from srp?

If I were only going to order 2 from SRP - without a doubt I'd get the ND8/CP and the ND16/CP. Keep in mind since you have to rotate a CP filter to set it to it's "sweet spot", adversely you can rotate it to it's weakest spot. Then the filter is just an ND8

It's my understanding that the ND16/CP will be available REALLY soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: GhostMaster
If I were only going to order 2 from SRP - without a doubt I'd get the ND8/CP and the ND16/CP. Keep in mind since you have to rotate a CP filter to set it to it's "sweat spot", adversely you can rotate it to it's weakest spot. Then the filter is just an ND8

I didn't know that, thank you very much for that info, I like very much the srp filters, the quality is awesome, no doubt they are the best.

I didn't know that, thank you very much for that info, I like very much the srp filters, the quality is awesome, no doubt they are the best.
Yeah this is important. When you get the CP look closely through it with one eye, at the sky, and rotate it as you look through it. You'll see the sweet spot appear as you rotate. The sky will turn into deeper blue while leaving the clouds to pop even more. When you see the sweet spot, stop rotating and make a little mark on the very top center of the filter edge with a pencil. Now you know exactly how to install it on your P3 (with the mark centered and on top) for optimal results.

Reactions: Bigdz
Here is a quick test i did today shot in 4K and uploaded in 4K with the SRP ND8/CP. Filter is heavy, but gimbal handles it fine, and horizon stays perfect. Only suggestion would to face your lens straight down before powering off as when you do it swings down fast. Colors/clarity is great, SRP nails it again. Will get the ND16 when it comes out next.

Did you shoot in log or normal color? Did you do any correction post prod?

Auto color I believe and should only need to clean up in post. Unless your doing hdr or anything. The cp makes the shot look pretty good as it is. Make sure to adjust the iso and shutter speed when using nd or cp. Also it's like putting on polarized sunglasses and tilting your head. You can tell the sky blue gets deeper.

My polar pro 3 pack should be here any day! I did notice how well the gimbal servos hold the camera. LIGHTLY use your finger to push around the camera while the bird is on to see what I mean. I don't really think the added couple of grams will affect anything.

Did you shoot in log or normal color? Did you do any correction post prod?

With this filter i was using normal. The filter was set to take advantage of the CP (another great tip is to look through it at a computer screen, when everything goes black that is full strength). I played with things post in FCPX but it didnt take too much.

Speak of the devil! Postal just got here. The "gimbal safe" lightweight design text on the box is reassuring lol. I'll put up some comparison shots in a minute.

Attachments

• 20150622_163708.jpg
    20150622_163708.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 544
With this filter i was using normal. The filter was set to take advantage of the CP (another great tip is to look through it at a computer screen, when everything goes black that is full strength). I played with things post in FCPX but it didnt take too much.
Great! This is what I figured. When you want high saturation, then it kinda defeats the purpose to film in Log. Now I just need to think through the type of shots where I will use ND/CP filter with normal color vs ND only with Log and manual sat and contrast adjustments. Soo much to consider to get that perfect shot. Less than Two weeks from my road trip and I'm pulling together my list of shots/settings.

Reactions: freeskier989
Yeah this is important. When you get the CP look closely through it with one eye, at the sky, and rotate it as you look through it. You'll see the sweet spot appear as you rotate. The sky will turn into deeper blue while leaving the clouds to pop even more. When you see the sweet spot, stop rotating and make a little mark on the very top center of the filter edge with a pencil. Now you know exactly how to install it on your P3 (with the mark centered and on top) for optimal results.
I just got my SRP ND8/CP filter this is a great tip. I read the instructions and did some test flights. Thanks

OK here's my half ***'d review on my Polar Pro 3 pack I just got. Overall I'm impressed and satisfied.

So for $60 usd. You get a CP, ND4 and 8. And 3! Microfiber pouches to store them separately. Obviously glass. Gimbal sags when off but no obvious issues with bird powered up. They're super light.

One thing I did notice with the CP is that the logo on the housing is perfectly printed to where it's horizontal for full polarizing. So I lined up the logo with "4k" logo on camera and I know it's the sweet spot.

They DIDN'T come with little o-rings as I see the stock one does. But being that the cp is the only one needing rotation, I'll just take stock o-ring out of the stock lense. No biggie.

For getting the old lense off I found a super easy trick. Being a mechanic I had a small oil filter strap wrench (pictured) which is rubber and perfectly loosened the lense without any effort.

Also pictured is a test photo. Stock lense and full polarizing. Too windy and hot to fly but you get the idea. The shadows are more vivid. And the sky blue is deeper. Settings were iso 100 and shutter of 500 or something can't remember but definitely iso 100.

Anyway I think that's it. I'd recommend the 3 pack to anyone. Cost, weight, and items included. Worth it.

20150622_164957_zpsjf4daoak.jpg

20150622_165100_zpslocxwmef.jpg

20150622_165347_zpswx7jc1wt.jpg

DJI_0044_zpsyknqpdic.jpg

Stock Lense.
DJI_0043_zpsguyzrka4.jpg

Polarizer.

Reactions: nobr3ga
If I were only going to order 2 from SRP - without a doubt I'd get the ND8/CP and the ND16/CP. Keep in mind since you have to rotate a CP filter to set it to it's "sweet spot", adversely you can rotate it to it's weakest spot. Then the filter is just an ND8

The CP will also add some darkness so you get a little bit extra on the ND's stop.

OK here's my half ***'d review on my Polar Pro 3 pack I just got. Overall I'm impressed and satisfied.

So for $60 usd. You get a CP, ND4 and 8. And 3! Microfiber pouches to store them separately. Obviously glass. Gimbal sags when off but no obvious issues with bird powered up. They're super light.

One thing I did notice with the CP is that the logo on the housing is perfectly printed to where it's horizontal for full polarizing. So I lined up the logo with "4k" logo on camera and I know it's the sweet spot.

They DIDN'T come with little o-rings as I see the stock one does. But being that the cp is the only one needing rotation, I'll just take stock o-ring out of the stock lense. No biggie.

For getting the old lense off I found a super easy trick. Being a mechanic I had a small oil filter strap wrench (pictured) which is rubber and perfectly loosened the lense without any effort.

Also pictured is a test photo. Stock lense and full polarizing. Too windy and hot to fly but you get the idea. The shadows are more vivid. And the sky blue is deeper. Settings were iso 100 and shutter of 500 or something can't remember but definitely iso 100.

Anyway I think that's it. I'd recommend the 3 pack to anyone. Cost, weight, and items included. Worth it.

20150622_164957_zpsjf4daoak.jpg

20150622_165100_zpslocxwmef.jpg

20150622_165347_zpswx7jc1wt.jpg

DJI_0044_zpsyknqpdic.jpg

Stock Lense.
DJI_0043_zpsguyzrka4.jpg

Polarizer.
I thought this thread was about SRP Filters???????

Polar Pro filters -- easy to set the polarizer. As with almost any pro camera, mount filter, point at flat screen TV or computer monitor, rotate until screen goes black (assuming camera is level). The use a little painter's tape to hold filter in position. Pro camera rotating polarizer filters can also move when used in photo shoots, so common to add a little tape to keep it in position. Just turn on the P3, point it at TV and rotate, then tape in place.

Tapes pretty ghetto lol. Take a peek inside your stock uv lense. There will be a small rubber o ring. Take some tweezers or a small right angle pick and get it out and put the o ring In your polarizer. The o ring will hold the lense In place.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20