Polar Pro ND filters - Test video

Reaction score
Just finish a good test (first sunny day in a few) with the new Polar Pro NDs. The filters are clean, crisp and do not cast an unwanted color shift. If I could shave 1/2 the wieght off I'd be happier but they do work as a decent ND should. Balanced the gimbal with dimes before flight as I still don't feel comfortable stressing the motors.

Just finish a good test (first sunny day in a few) with the new Polar Pro NDs. The filters are clean, crisp and do not cast an unwanted color shift. If I could shave 1/2 the wieght off I'd be happier but they do work as a decent ND should. Balanced the gimbal with dimes before flight as I still don't feel comfortable stressing ....

Very nice! Did you need to balance the gimbal to allow it to control or was it more risk management?

Very nice! Did you need to balance the gimbal to allow it to control or was it more risk management?

I balanced it with dimes and double sided tape. See pics attached. The Phantom is not powered on here so they do balance.

I did it just for this test as I'm too concerned about prolonged stress on the gimbal and I don't want to keep having to stick and unstick coins in the field. IMHO regardless how much folks say how light these are it's relative. Light in your hand yes but doubling the weight the gimbal is balanced and design for is another matter. I'm looking into other ND choices. PhantomFilters.com looks really promising.

Attachments

• IMG_3250.JPG
    IMG_3250.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_3251.JPG
    IMG_3251.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 607
Wait...in order to use these filters one must add a counter balance to the gimbal. Wouldn't that add more stress to the motors?
I order a set on Amazon for $49, if that's the case(balance with dimes) I'll cancel my order. Don't think it's worth the risk, just doesn't seem right.

Wait...in order to use these filters one must add a counter balance to the gimbal. Wouldn't that add more stress to the motors?
I order a set on Amazon for $49, if that's the case(balance with dimes) I'll cancel my order. Don't think it's worth the risk, just doesn't seem right.

The gimbal will power up, level out and fly just fine with these on without counter balancing. But obviously you'll have to make that call yourself. I personally don't feel comfortable doing this even with counter balancing that appears to work just fine. That's just me.

Reactions: Bigdz
I'm in the same boat - sadly I'm worried about stressing the motors. Ordered a set from PhantomFilters, should be able to test them out in a couple of weeks. As someone with a lot of jello from the gimble, I look forward to seeing the effects

Reactions: PhantomFilters
The gimbal will power up, level out and fly just fine with these on without counter balancing. But obviously you'll have to make that call yourself. I personally don't feel comfortable doing this even with counter balancing that appears to work just fine. That's just me.
Don't you remove the current lens and replace it with the filter++

I got a Polar Pro ND Filter set from Amazon then found out about the weight. I returned them and ordered a set from Taco Store, still waiting for it tho but a lot of ppl here used them. They have the same weight as the stock filter so you won't have to manualy balancing the gimbal.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I got a Polar Pro ND Filter set from Amazon then found out about the weight. I returned them and ordered a set from Taco Store, still waiting for it tho but a lot of ppl here used them. They have the same weight as the stock filter so you won't have to manualy balancing the gimbal.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
If you look at the stock filter when the bird is off, the lens points down, not straight out. Balancing the lens may not be needed but it doesn't mean it's balanced to begin with. Manually balancing to center the camera is still the easiest on the motor because you shoot at all of the different angles. Just my opinion anyway :)

I also didn't expect Polar Pro to weigh more than the stock cover, although I use them without any counter-balance and have had no issues. Are people having gimbal problems using the Polar Pros?

Yep, clearly the gimbal is well balanced, as can be seen by the way it hangs when the bird in not powered ;-p. I wouldn't expect the slight increase in weight would introduce any problems. The ND weighs 3.47 grams, how much heavier than the standard DJI skylight filter could it possibly be? The snake river prototyping ND + CPL is more than twice the weight and I have had no issues. I wouldn't worry.

I have the Polar Pro Polarizer, ND4 and ND8 filter set, they work great but are a little heavy as the camera immediately goes face down when the filters are mounted.. but as soon as you power up it holds the filter on just fine.. Still I was a little worried about stressing the gimbal so I ordered a Genuine DJI ND16 filter, it was pricey but I'm hoping its lighter.

I have and use the polarpro filters. They work great. Figure I get more stressed at times while flying than the gimbal does.

******UPDATE*****
Been a while since posting to this thread. I've have a ton of flight time and tests completed over the last few months. I now use the SRP brand of NDs because of the superior quality glass. Almost 270 flights with these filters alone and my gimbal has NEVER shown any sign (physical or audible) of stress/malfunction. My gimbal performs as if I bought it yesterday. I've come to love SRP's products. Especially the Graduated ND. The GND16-8 is made for aerial shooting since 99% of the time your sky is much brighter than your land in the shot. This filter balances out the exposure give me a much more even shot. Love it.

P.S. I now no longer counter balance. (Took too much time and fiddling around in the field) I just pop them on and go.

******UPDATE*****
Been a while since posting to this thread.
Welcome back Frederick! I lost one of my SRPs and scuffed another. Given the high price, I decided to try out Polar pro again, this time the special edition cinema series (ND/CP). Question on comparing to SRP ND/CP, do you ever notice a red ring or glare when facing the sunrise/sunset at a certain angle? I see this on the PP's and am curious if this is a result of additional optics, polarization or something else.

I picked up a 3 pack set of PP filters while getting another battery. Hope to try them tomorrow if it quits snowing and the wind will quit blowing the round hay bales away.

Last edited:
Which ND filters offer best bang for buck without issues? Sounds like weight is an issue to consider. I almost bought the polar pro from Amazon but I've been looking for a good review.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik