Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Polar Pro ND and Polarizer build Impression

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Steezynickel, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Steezynickel

Today the Polar Pro ND4, ND8 Filters and Polarizer are available for the general public and I got mine in the mail today. I've been doing professional photography for 12 years and have been a Director of Photography for roughly the same amount of time and CPL's and ND Filters have been an essential tools in my bag.
    image.jpg image.jpg
    So as you can tell from the photos you receive 3 filters to help achieve a desirable shutter speed to get a cinematic look. In the packaging you receive 3 small bags to carry each filter in separately so you don't damage them in transit.

The first thing you will notice is the quality of the glass which in my opinion is on par with the filters I use on my DSLR's and Matte Boxes, you will also notice that the filters are threaded. (Heads up on taking off the DJI UV Filter it is very fragile and could possibly crack as mine did when I thought I was smart and used a blow dryer to heat up the filter, dumb $38 mistake). Once I got the stock UV filter off I then weighed the stock filter which was 2 grams compared to the Polar Pro ND8 and ND4 which were 7 grams each. image.jpg image.jpg
    I put the Polar Por filter on which does thread all the way to the back like the OEM and fits firmly without any play, when you turn the Phantom on and the gimbal will calibrate and work prefectly.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Over the next week I will put together a video review with comparisons and give my impressions of the video quality but for now at the price is $69 this is suitable to get a slower shutter speed and help take away the dreaded "jello" or moire a lot of us have been getting on the phantom 3.

#1 Steezynickel, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. KingAdRock

Thanks for the feedback - mine are on the way. Excuse the dumb question but I am struggling to get the stock UV filter off - seems to be stuck tight. Is it a counter-clockwise turn to losen it? Is there a trick to getting it off?

3. spankybear

Yes thanks!

4. Tino_A

Does the polarizer rotate separately or is it fixed like the other two?

5. Steezynickel

6. nikon.

Ordered mine today :). Looks great!

7. craig4855

I used a rubber jar opener. Works great. It is a thin piece of rubber, and can be purchased anywhere that sells kitchen related items.
    Do NOT apply too much pressure. The threads are fine, and aluminium. Watch out for cross-threading.

JdotB likes this.
  8. Steezynickel

Very nice!

9. woobisah

They are 49 dollars on Amazon for the P3.

10. Allezdada

I ordered mine at Amazon, unfortunately it's not expected to ship for a few weeks.

11. loganboyd

12. passive jay

they say its for videography but I would assume the filters are the same as they would be for photography?

13. bobomet

I ordered them from Polar Pro a few days ago. Hoping to hear something from them soon about shipping.

14. fhagan02

Got a set also. I believe the website said shipping would start June 6 to the consumer masses.

15. blade strike

Well I received mine on Saturday. Mine would only thread on half way as well. After another team member received theirs and it threaded on fully, I thought it had to do with the anodizing. I added some 3in1 oil to the threads and started to thread it one.. It took a few times, cleaning the thread and rethreading but I finally got it seated.
    20150608_183153.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Steezynickel

The exact thing happened to me after I took the photos and never got to taking new photos but edited my comments.

17. Steezynickel

Yes you can use them for photography

It's to my understanding that they shipped out on Friday and I got mine on Saturday because I live within 30 miles of there warehouse. Depending on where you live you should have them sometime this week.

18. neslex

Anybody have some real life examples? Will this reduce flickering when flying into the sun or is that kind of impossible (as the props will still cast a shadow on the lens).

19. Steezynickel

Nothing that you buy will reduce flicker when flying into the sun that is an effect of light bouncing off of the propellers or the landing gear legs. Why would you be flying directly into the sun in the first place it will either overexpose or underexpose the shot.

20. vmp

vmp

I received mine today. I only tried the ND4 since it was not very sunny outside. I was able to thread it all the way in, even though it was making a high pitch noise from metal to metal grinding.

I would say what I thought about it, but hard to say since there wasn't much sun. I'll have to give it a shot another day when the rain stops.