Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Polar Pro LED Lights for P3 - Thoughts ....

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by bobomet, Feb 5, 2016.

1. bobomet

I just got an offer via email for it. I like what see, and have it in my shopping cart. I assume Polar Pro has tested it fully to ensure no signal interference.
    Please let me know what you think ....

DJI Phantom 3 LED Light Kit

2. Leenanj

I do not have this but it looks like a good setup.

I like that it can be taken on/off easy when not needed so you don't have the added weight.

There is always a concern that the GPS signal could be blocked with something on top that has metal in it like the batteries.

CANEKiTA and eaglegoaltender like this.
  3. eaglegoaltender

sIt sure makes the Phantom that much more visible and having the "white headlights" for the front helps with identifying orientation - not sure about daylight since the promo vid doesn't show that and only shows night shots of it flying (yikes are we supposed to do that lol).

I am with Leenanj as to a concern with the GPS signal interference and I also wonder as to having the units located on the landing gear legs, since that is where the Phantom antennas are located.

Certainly look pretty cool up the air at night however - good luck with your setup!

4. CCDD

Lightbridge antennas are located right next to where these lights mount, possible interference with signal, not worth risking loss of Phantom!!

5. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

I like the simplicity for sure. I also like they are easily removable (I've used some that were HD adhesive and it caused a mess).

I have a couple of concerns (in addition to what's mentioned above).

Seems like fairly short battery life. What is the recharge estimate from dead to fully charge.

My biggest concern is how "secure" they snap into place and what happens in a few months of On and OFF use. Do the engagement get loose? I would hate to see one flopping around and in a turn or change of flight get up into a prop. I would probably use a small ZIP-Tie on each one just to be safe.

6. 2nd2non

unfortunately, Polar Pro does not have a good track record of evaluating potential issues with their accessories- examples:
    1) 1st Gen P3 ND filter- fit issues
    2) Gimbal guard- camera hits guard on power up / startup routine
    3) Headlights- TBD but scary!

davestern2 likes this.
  7. flyNfrank

I've never been to big on battery drainers That are not related to gps tracking, or something that gathers additional flight data. If it wasn't for added drain I would probably have a set of LED lights. But now we're not to fly after dark so I know I wouldn't want any extra attention in that way.

8. Pete Leare

These are powered by their own battery but even so, it drains in just 40 mins so that's not even 2 P3 batteries worth. The extra weight is also a concern

9. exit 4

Also, if you have the landing gear stabilizers from polarpro that clip on the bottom to protect the camera/gimbal, it will not fit. I just bought and returned them out of fear about the gps issue and I have the landing gear stabilizers. I did like the look of them.

10. Readester

How would this affect the warranty if something happened? I am pretty sure if something did, then DJI would just blame the lights.

11. exit 4

The only way DJI would know is if there was a picture of the lights on it or if he told them about it. They are totally independent of the unit. There is no connection to the unit with the lights.

12. Wolfiesden

My question to you is...
    What problem are you trying to solve with this product?

If you can't answer that question with an answer thats worth $50, I would say you are impulse buying.

eaglegoaltender likes this.
  13. bobomet

I installed an LED headlight on my P2V, which I flew often for night photos over parts of my city. I launched from a hillside, and it was easy with all the urban lights to lose sight of it.
    It helped me to quickly orient it, particularly for the return back to home base.

The photos have fetched me more than a few $$$ from local business people who love night images of the city to display in their office buildings.
    But, as I do impulse-buy on occasion - shoes, drinks for people at local bars, etc., I can't help but ask why that would be of concern to you when my question was technical in nature (?).
    I didn't really want to, however, go boring holes into the shell of my P3 as I did my P2. So there .... that's the problem I was trying to solve ....

BigAl07 likes this.
  14. Phantom751874

GPS as others have said, why would I put something over it?

15. LamboH

16. bobomet

Thanks for the video clips! It looks like they do exactly what I had hoped for.

17. NimpoCub

I thought the GO app has a green arrow which shows orientation??

18. ChaneRZ

I have one also and doesn't interfere with the compass or GPS.

LamboH likes this.
  19. shockwave199

Same here, no interference with gps at all.

LamboH likes this.