Polar Pro LED Kit Review

Thank you Master Blaster! Is that a standard in the photo??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Here ya go.
Like I said, I use 1 small tie wrap in the center around each leg before I fly for safety. I don't have them on in this pic -
db1d32360c32be3c4b4ca12e34b334ca.jpg
f4a0595fcbae4f3070317b85a4f891fb.jpg
ca508100c2e0785c22a2ea6d7d273ce7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Any more info on your CF landing gear?

Wouldn't that battery pack interfere with the GPS unit? When I put my hand on top of my P3 ,the GPS signal drops.

Wouldn't that battery pack interfere with the GPS unit? When I put my hand on top of my P3 ,the GPS signal drops.
I thought the same but ordered it anyway.
I have not noticed any issues with it attached

Any more info on your CF landing gear?
It is not carbon fiber.
It is the stock gear that has been hydro-dipped to look like carbon fiber.
I had the entire bird done.
As my wife said "I just had to be different" :)
Lol

Reactions: GenesisX
Oh ok, thanks for the pics and info! It's always good to be different and make it yours!

John did you figure out why yours where slipping?
Also, how do you like the lights? I love them as it makes it much easier to see the bird at night. Much further than I can in the day.
Plus it has all the neighbors talking. They have no idea what it is and they are all talking about strange lights in the sky...lol

Rocket - love it!
Do you have a link to where I can buy this from?
Also, did you run into any snags installing it? Any recommendations?
Thanks!!

Rocket - love it!
Do you have a link to where I can buy this from?
Also, did you run into any snags installing it? Any recommendations?
Thanks!!
This was a DIY project. This photo is the first prototype, I then cleaned it up and lost a lot of weight by soldering everything directly.
IMG_0252.JPG
Used WS2812B addressable LED strip along with a mini controller from eBay.
1~5m 5V WS2812B WS2812 5050 RGB 60 LEDs/m Pixel Full Color addressable LED strip
LED Symphony Controller For WS2812B WS2812 LED Strip Light & 14Key Remote 5V
I split it up into four sections and soldered the connections such that the pattern was symmetrical from any direction.

They are powered by a small LiPo battery and power converter for the 5V. I used two batteries to maintain balance, but one is enough power.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072AEHIC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Amazon.com: New Turnigy UBEC w/ Noise Reduction 3A 5/6V switching BEC 2s 3s 4s 5s 23v US: Toys & Games

I originally ordered this LED strip on Amazon because it is unusually narrow which would have worked better on the rounded Phantom body.
Amazon.com : 2m Ws2812b 60leds/m 5v Narrowest Led Strip 5.5mm Width White Pcb 2811ic Inside 5050led Ip30 Ws2812 Led Strips : Patio, Lawn & Garden
But turned out it is a Chinese seller and shipping time was almost 6 weeks! I needed them for an event two weeks away so ended up with the "standard" sized strip. Haven't taken the time to try the narrow version yet since they finally arrived.

This was a DIY project. This photo is the first prototype, I then cleaned it up and lost a lot of weight by soldering everything directly.
View attachment 54678
Used WS2812B addressable LED strip along with a mini controller from eBay.
1~5m 5V WS2812B WS2812 5050 RGB 60 LEDs/m Pixel Full Color addressable LED strip
LED Symphony Controller For WS2812B WS2812 LED Strip Light & 14Key Remote 5V
I split it up into four sections and soldered the connections such that the pattern was symmetrical from any direction.

They are powered by a small LiPo battery and power converter for the 5V. I used two batteries to maintain balance, but one is enough power.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072AEHIC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Amazon.com: New Turnigy UBEC w/ Noise Reduction 3A 5/6V switching BEC 2s 3s 4s 5s 23v US: Toys & Games

I originally ordered this LED strip on Amazon because it is unusually narrow which would have worked better on the rounded Phantom body.
Amazon.com : 2m Ws2812b 60leds/m 5v Narrowest Led Strip 5.5mm Width White Pcb 2811ic Inside 5050led Ip30 Ws2812 Led Strips : Patio, Lawn & Garden
But turned out it is a Chinese seller and shipping time was almost 6 weeks! I needed them for an event two weeks away so ended up with the "standard" sized strip. Haven't taken the time to try the narrow version yet since they finally arrived.
Wow that looks better than any commercial LED kits.
Wonder how you hook them all up?

It is not carbon fiber.
It is the stock gear that has been hydro-dipped to look like carbon fiber.
I had the entire bird done.
As my wife said "I just had to be different" :)
Lol

I love the lights! Mine are still slipping, the standard doesn't have those lips on the legs like yours does, for a nice snug fit. I'm going to try maybe some Velcro, idk, just a thought.

Do you know if this product interferes with Polar Pro's Extended Landing Gear?

DJI Phantom 3 Landing Gear
They work ok together.
The top clip does not clip on as securely if you have the Polar Pro landing gear installed.
Check out my pics.

BTW does anyone else's LED surface feel sticky?
It's strange because I would have thought they were just plastic but it actually feels rubbery and sticky to touch.

Attachments

• IMG_1716.JPG
    IMG_1716.JPG
    471 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1717.JPG
    IMG_1717.JPG
    497.6 KB · Views: 224
They work ok together.
The top clip does not clip on as securely if you have the Polar Pro landing gear installed.
Check out my pics.

BTW does anyone else's LED surface feel sticky?
It's strange because I would have thought they were just plastic but it actually feels rubbery and sticky to touch.

Yes, it is a little sticky. After I used it the first time I noticed a little of that sticky stuff left on the shell and just wiped it off. At first I didn't know what it was :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie