Polar Pro Gimbal Guard [Buyer Beware]

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm sure I saw this somewhere, but can't find the post now. I'm not letting this go. It's not the money - the product is clearly defective by design. In chronological order:

Dear Sir.
I recently purchased the Polar Pro Phantom 3 Pro Camera Guard. I have subsequently discovered that it is defective by design - when properly installed the camera hits on the guard during movement, which is clearly unacceptable. I believe this is a fault that is commonly known and acknowledged by PolarPro and as such I would appreciate a refund or credit against this item.
Regards Ken Pascoe

Hi Ken,

We apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your Gimbal Guard.

In order to provide the most protection to the camera we have it sitting directly under it. If it is hitting during calibration you can quickly remove and re-install the gimbal guard in less than 5 seconds. The additional 5 second install is worth having your camera more protected during flight.

Best, Dan

Hello Dan

In an accident of any force whatsoever, the quite pliable landing gear flex and the gimbal guard is the first thing to come off. I learnt that very expensive lesson when I hit a tree and the aircraft fell from only metres high. The guard sprang off, and the camera was damaged during a subsequent bounce which was a $600 repair. As such (like everyone I know) I have the guard tie wrapped in place. This is not slip on and slip off in five seconds task, and would have to be done every time after the aircraft had powered up - the camera hits the guard several times, every time power is applied.

I appreciate the guard needs to be under the camera to function, but like several other guards in the market, you should have designed it to be clear of the camera's range of movement. The current design is completely unacceptable and should be withdrawn. For the time being, your web site should clearly advise that you've produced a guard that the camera always hits during power on which should protect your future customers, assuming social media and the internet hasn't already bottomed out your sales of this product.

I am a good PolarPro customer who owns your landing gear, six filters and a 3x filter case, all of which I'm very happy with. Please reconsider my request. It's not the money for me, it's the principle.

Ken

(awaiting further reply).

Someone showed them that the camera hits it on start-up on their stand at a show, I think that might be the post you saw?
They seriously suggested taking it off every time you start it - and clipping on again before take-off which doesn't sound terribly convenient.
On the other hand it doesn't seem to have been mentioned again on here - maybe they only sold two. :D

Drones Etc sells a similar product that causes the same issue. I would stay away from anything that comes in contact with the gimbals movement.

Update ...

Ken,

We appreciate your feedback.

Because your order was placed so long ago we are going to have to refund you via paypal or check.

Please provide the desired method along with the information needed.

Best, Dan

... My Reply ...

Hello Dan

That is extremely gratifying to hear - thanks very much.

If you could facilitate covering the purchase and delivery of one of your six case filter boxes, (i have the filters) that would do admirably. Failing that - PayPal credit would be fine.

As a suggestion, if you do redesign the guard, apart from keeping it clear of the camera, some kind of click on/hold in place mounting - similar to your landing gear - would distinguish your product from others on the market. While my case copes with a guard in place, many do not. Achieving a removable guard that that is clear of the camera that won't fall of in an accident would ensure my purchase.

Thanks again, Ken.

Reactions: Monte Olsen
apparently they have released a new version specifically for the P3s
I just received the gimbal guard/ lens cap for my P3S, and it works as it should. It is OFF during flight and startup. This is the newer version for the Phantom 3 Standard. If a prior version was available and was left on the gimbal during flight I am not aware of this version and its failures.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just received the gimbal guard/ lens cap for my P3S, and it works as it should. It is OFF during flight and startup. This is the newer version for the Phantom 3 Standard. If a prior version was available and was left on the gimbal during flight I am not aware of this version and its failures.

Can you post a picture of the new one?

New to all this and don't know how to post that pic, but look for my other posts in this section or discussion thread for an included pic. The guard is black and the lens cover is diamond shaped ----all one piece.

There is a new gimbal guard. It actually works great, fits great and doesn't interfere with the camera movement

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Using a "Skyreat" gimbal guard. I did zip tie the guard to landing gear and no gimbal contact issues.
Also use the Skyreat, ziptied on and works great. And I believe saved my gimble several times.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Gimbal guard? Are you landing on a railing or something?

DJI claims ANY 3rd party gimbal guard that mounts on the legs interferes with VPS. They state that they can easily determine if one is mounted and, in the event of a crash, will NOT PROVIDE WARRANTY SUPPORT.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik