Polar Pro Filter Video Settings

Reaction score
Just ordered the 3 pack filter set from polar pro. I have been shooting my video in the vivid color setting on my p3p. What is the best video setting to be on when shooting video with an ND4 or ND8 filter attatched?

I would probably suggest experimenting with the different settings and see which you like best? Many people shoot in D-Log which gives a very flat profile, which they then edit in post production. I haven't actually tried any of the other settings myself, I shoot in D-Log and just tried it yesterday with the PP ND8-PL, which is the first filter I've tried - I only received my 6 pack of filters last week. It was a very overcast but bright day and my videos looked pretty flat and dull until I did some editing on them.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ok. Thanks for the advice. So far i havent done anything with videos in post-production. I just want to get the best look straight from the SD card.

With any added filter you need be very particular about your white balance and it will often need a different tweak when processing.
If you're hoping to do this when recording you are likely going to need a custom WB setting though as a clue they typically give a yellowish tint so more a slightly blue/cooler/sunny shift might be needed.

I think it's fair to say there's no 'best' settings, other than trying to have your shutter speed double your frame rate, which I assume is why you bought the Polar Pro filters. In terms of which 'look' you should use, it's all dependent on a combination of lighting conditions and what looks best to you. The vivid profile should give you nice saturation and colours that pop straight away, but that might not be what you want if you're trying to shoot something with a dark and moody feel.

Personally I shoot in D-Log, as this gives the 'truest' interpretation, based on what the camera's sensor sees. I then use Final Cut or After Effects to change things later, if I want. As 4wd says, getting your white balance right is important too. There are different methods on how to do that, but personally I do it by sight - it's basically a case of trying to balance the yellow and blue colours. Again, this can be tweaked later but it's much better to get it right from the start.

Definitely want to use manual settings. Auto will not give you a good end result. Use Saturnine's shutter/frame rate setting, then...

Bring a pad and paper to take notes. On a sunny day, use the ND8 filter.....

Try setting all three 'custom' parameters at (0) as a start, take the P3 up and let it hover over one subject area, don't move it.
If you shoot a lot of landscapes, have your subject contain water, trees, grass, rocks... so you see the effect on all aspects.
Do not take videos yet, set camera to photo, and shoot (3) photos, then move one parameter to (-1)
take three more pictures. Then move the next parameter to (-1), take three more photos. Do this till you get
to (-3) on all parameters. Next, go view your photography. This will give you a good idea of what the settings
do with that Filter. Honestly, this is the only way you'll find out what settings will give you your desired look!
You can do this for the ND4 and Polarized lenses too. Three batteries and three SD cards will get it done in one day.
Doing the whole thing again on a cloudy day will give you a set of 'base settings' for each condition.

These settings usually have to be set lower rather than higher. The P3 Camera is set too sharp for most people.
You'll probably see the same for the other settings. (-1) and (-2) are the most popular settings.

Understand that Post-Editing is the only way to achieve specific desired results, but the P3 camera can get
you really close, close enough to show proudly anyway.

Reactions: dirkclod
Try shutter twice the fps, custom white balance 4500-5700, vivid,
-1-2-1, and video shot in manual can give a reasonable vid without post.

Or -2-3-2, white balance 5500, cine and see what you like.

I change settings between dlog cine and vivid daily along with sharpness contrast and saturation, whitebalance, etc. It's all up,to what you want.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic