POI - Very Limited

Reaction score
I do like POI mode and I thought it would be one of the best additions to the P3. However, a big limiting factor is that you need to start in the middle of the area you want to capture and then fly outward. So if I want to fly around a building or other object I'd need to first fly above it and set the middle. I'd then need to fly outward and down and set the outside point. Kind of a pain.

The other way is to set the radius manually. There are a few issues with this as well. What is the radius of that building or object? Another issue is drawing it on the map can be difficult. However, with a live map feed it would be easy to pull a circle around an object perfectly and then have the drone fly this circle.

Seems to me like DJI cut corners on this feature. It could have been much better.

I just think the technology isn't there for the application your looking for. Most importantly - idiot factor. Cowboys will go out and not pay attention, then crash their P3, then B and complain to DJI that their software caused the problem when in fact they didn't know what they were doing.

Reactions: Doug J.
I think once we get a bit more familiar with the usefulness of these new features, it will become second nature. They @dji have had to consider all outcomes, and decide what would be the safest ways for these features to be used. I think they had gone through many different scenarios, and discovered that the safest methods, for these newest features are the way they have it set up. We can either get on board, or purchase the apps from third party SDK developers and use those features to the best of our ability. AutoPilot still has no support for Phantom 3 or Inspire 1.
I'm just grateful that @dji actually came through with App and firmware on the same day. And hey!! Ah, the Android updates were also available September 7 Labor Day, no griping from that team. ;-)

So get out there and fly everybody, that can...
The rest of you, too sad.

To those holding off, on updating, just sitting back waiting to see...
What's the matter with you? ;-) tine to get with the program.

RedHotPoker

I do like POI mode and I thought it would be one of the best additions to the P3. However, a big limiting factor is that you need to start in the middle of the area you want to capture and then fly outward. So if I want to fly around a building or other object I'd need to first fly above it and set the middle. I'd then need to fly outward and down and set the outside point. Kind of a pain.

The other way is to set the radius manually. There are a few issues with this as well. What is the radius of that building or object? Another issue is drawing it on the map can be difficult. However, with a live map feed it would be easy to pull a circle around an object perfectly and then have the drone fly this circle.

Seems to me like DJI cut corners on this feature. It could have been much better.

Hi tcope , I feel the same, however, there are two third party apps going to be released very soon, Copilot and Autopilot, these will give a very interesting approach to POI and way points, as well as some other very cool stuff.;)

I wonder if the software limitations have anything to do with the massive piles of drones that the repair facility's are buried under?

Sarcasm\

DJI missed the mark on this one. I'll stick with Litchi, they know how to do it right.

I'm with you! The limitations are irritating. I've never used it, but have been reading a lot and learning all about it. I was soooooooo ready for it! But, if I have to fly the route first, why would I need the way points?! I want to be able to plot it all out in advance, in the app, then have it execute. Looks like I'll be waiting for version 2 of AutoFlight Logic app.

Gmaps just not that accurate if we talking about a specific building, so even if you preset POI at home or anywhere, you need do some correction on center point.
Yes, I feel your pain, but still... I made a test today then I compared the circle in Google Earth, the center was off. I agree with both sides, but this stuff just does the POI job.
This is my point only :)

Just had a quick go with POI. Unfortunately I cannot find a worthwhile use for waypoints in it's current guise...

Cable cam is all waypoints are good for in the current implementation and I think that was DJI's intention. It's just there to get the money shot and not to go on missions.

Reactions: tcope
I can understand a lot of peoples different views but a lot of people on here like to complain just for the sake of it! im not a dji lover or hater they mess up on some things and are excellent at others if they dont do bring out something i.e waypoints, poi they get slammed when they do bring something out they get slammed for not doing it right or not how you would of done it. Enjoy what you have stop complaining and go out and fly!!

Very limited? Cut corners?:rolleyes:

You do realize if your going to fly around a large object like a building you will loose signal. I like the fact you need to start from the middle and work your way out, its really no big deal. What I would like see changed is the size of the numbers for the speed. The little slider bar is a bit small for my fingers

The waypoints and follow me do nothing for myself

I can understand a lot of peoples different views but a lot of people on here like to complain just for the sake of it! im not a dji lover or hater they mess up on some things and are excellent at others if they dont do bring out something i.e waypoints, poi they get slammed when they do bring something out they get slammed for not doing it right or not how you would of done it. Enjoy what you have stop complaining and go out and fly!!
So we can't post opinions about a new feature? Not being allowed to select points on a map for waypoints or POI is a worthwhile discussion. It does have its pros and cons.

Very limited? Cut corners?:rolleyes:

You do realize if your going to fly around a large object like a building you will loose signal. I like the fact you need to start from the middle and work your way out, its really no big deal. What I would like see changed is the size of the numbers for the speed. The little slider bar is a bit small for my fingers
Bigger display device? Longer bar would probably solve that problem.

A building was just an example but that is a good point. As I get use to POI it's growing on me.

What I really want to know is if the POI pop up window can be redisplayed after hiding. I can find any way to do this.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj