poi needs los with tx?

Reaction score
hi guys, im in the middle of the upgrade to 1.04 and have a doubt about point of interest.

im thinking about doing a poi around a building, do i need to have line of sight between the p3 and the tx all the time, or does point of interest saves the data/coordinates and you may go behind any object (trees, buildings, etc.)

thanks!

You should never do anything where you can keep sight of your aircraft.

If you attempt to fly around the back side of a building, your remote controller signal will be lost and your Phantom will return home.

If you attempt to fly around the back side of a building, your remote controller signal will be lost and your Phantom will return home.
And if you haven't set the altitude for RTH high enough it will attempt to come back home directly through the building resulting in the loss of the phantom and probably a few windows.

Are you guys sure about this? Is the POI maneuver calculation going on in the app or in the Phantom? With the P2 Vision+ ground station, you could shut off the RC and it would continue the mission. Once the mission was uploaded it was on its own. That was a theoretical advantage of GS. You could have it go behind something that blocked the signal and it would keep going (In theory, I didn't try it).

I know it's not the same thing.

Exactly, because you have to fly the mission first you have to be able to control every section of that first flight.
Now if you were to say walk around the building while setting up the flight and stay in contact with the Phantom, the flight record could probably be made. I would think the UAV would then be autonomous for the instant replay.

I completely agree with you, Jeff. But the question was about POI, not waypoints. Just wondered whether that was "autonomous".

Try and validate.. Do small POI (something low) and turn off controller..

today i was testing poi (which works like a charm, but never lost los) and then i tested waypoints and found this:
2015-09-08 17.12.00.png

so i was wondering if in poi the mission will continue even if the rc signal is lost :s

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20