POI movie:)

Tis very nice --- so do you simply tap the object on the FPV screen and it starts the POI function at current height --- or do you need to go to map view and tap to create an icon so it knows GPS location to create the POI circle?

Please explain how it works! :eek:

You simply hover over the point you want. Press a buttom on the dji app fly as far as you want and the height that you want away from it and simply press go. Then it starts to fly the circle. The app also calculates the time the phantom will use to get around the object after what radius and speed you choose. The speed can be selected in the app. It`s very simple.

I tried a few POI tests, and the flying was great. I forgot to push record video on a couple, so if you set up a POI, don't forget to push record when you want to start recording. The P3 will go around and around as long as you want. I set the speed of rotation higher, at about 15mph, and we had a strong wind blowing, so on some "upwind" segments the left landing gear creeps into the shot. Slower would eliminate this. Sorry for the boring example, but the Eiffel Tower was too far to drive from Kansas! And I think drones are banned in Paris.

Will this feature still work if the phantom loses line of sight for part of the path?

Will this feature still work if the phantom loses line of sight for part of the path?
Great question, if you mean loss of transmitter signal! Otherwise, as long as you have transmitter signal, you should be good to go regardless of LOS. The documentation states all the new features rely upon strong GPS signals, which are independent of the transmitter signal, so it would theoretically be possible, if the GPS locations and instructions are stored on the aircraft, after being set within the app. However, I strongly suspect the loss of signal RTH function would override the instructions, cancelling the mission. So, if you lost signal for 3 seconds upon orbiting behind your subject, it would start RTH.:cool:

Interesting. I can't wait to test this new feature on my P3P. Thanks for doing these early tests for us! If anyone has experience with LOS (and perhaps even losing the RC signal for a few seconds), please let us know what the quad's behavior is like.

You simply hover over the point you want. Press a buttom on the dji app fly as far as you want and the height that you want away from it and simply press go. Then it starts to fly the circle. The app also calculates the time the phantom will use to get around the object after what radius and speed you choose. The speed can be selected in the app. It`s very simple.
Nice job. Two comments. Your color seems a little washed out, you may want to adjust your saturation. When the second video started I was "WTH, an airport control tower?!"

The Line Of Sight image (LOS) has nothing to do with the POI flight path success. The P3 autopilot computer is flying a perfect circle at the exact radius, altitude and speed you set, and the camera keeps panning and stays pointed at the POI you set first. If the POI gets visually blocked for a while, the P3 will just keep circling until you take control and stop it.

I am pretty sure a loss of signal to the controller would initiate a RTH automatically, but I'll give it a try next flight.

Waypoint feature is a lot less useful than the last version on the P2, which was pretty impressive. Maybe a new pre-programmed Waypoint feature is planned, it should be pretty easy. Then need to include altitude changes, speed changes and camera angle 0 degrees to 359 degrees from 12 course line. They should also allow you to specify the tilt down angle on the camera for each leg. -90 degrees to plus 30 degrees. They may want to include a pause, rotate at a selectable rate, with camera tilt angle, then continue again. Ideal for farmers or ranchers to inspect their property. Also ideal for police search or investigate operations.

Last edited:
On the POI pop-up there's a sliding switch near the bottom. Slide to the mph you want.

the sliding switch will not respond for me. Is there another way I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything but the slide bar works???

the sliding switch will not respond for me. Is there another way I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything but the slide bar works???
Hmmm. I'm at a loss as to why that feature isn't operable. Are you saying that all the other POI controls are working? What happens if you just accept the default distance and go?

It lets me set every thing but stays at 0mph so it just sits there does not circle.

Figured it out there is a minimum distance you have to go out I was trying at 10 feet. Anyway you can lower the minimum distances for close up shots?

You should also try adjusting the Phantom while in this mode. You and increase and decrease the radius while flying and also change the angle of the camera manually.

Figured it out there is a minimum distance you have to go out I was trying at 10 feet. Anyway you can lower the minimum distances for close up shots?
I believe the minimum distance is 5 meters (for safety).

Low altitude POI at dusk...girlfriend joined me for my test flight.

I like the tranquility of this with that soothing music even though we know you were surrounded by the noise of a thousand bees swarming with that thing flying around in circles.

Reactions: Stan_in_KS

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub