Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

POI Height Estimation

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by AP4me, Feb 18, 2016.

1. AP4me

Does anyone have hints on how to estimate the height of various points of interest for shots?

I mean, I can tell a high school is not as tall as a church, or one church is taller than another, but how do you estimate heights?

I get (in most cases) higher is better!

Thanks

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

Why not just fly to the top of the POI and then ascend to your usual filming level?

3. joe21

You brought back memories of (long ago) high school. That math formal where x/x = y/y... take a yardstick, measures its shadow. Then measure the objects shadow. Plug numbers into the fractions and easily calculate the missing variable.

However, there is a much easier way with the Phantom. You cannot run a POI mission in the Go app without setting it up manually. You will also want to frame your shot in realtime. There is really no need to estimate a height - just set the bird to frame your shot and go from there.

If your concern is RTH height, you can set a high value and then adjust after flying and reading the altitude values.

If you really need to guess, a good rule of thumb for buildings is 10ft per story. A 5 story building will be about 50ft tall. That is a generations and if you are flying in some autonomous mode, you should really use a more accurate tool (such as personal observation while flying and getting the readings from the app).