Pocket Finder

Reaction score
Does anyone what is the best way to mount the Pocket Finder? When using velcro, after a few times removing to charge the unit, velcro begins to wear thin.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    2.5 KB · Views: 432
The sport duty holder pouch my be a good option if you wire tie it to the phantom. But the rubber holder is a real POS and also pain in the butt to have to take it out to recharge it and putting it back in. also the loop and the band on the back of the rubber case are pretty weak. Last week I had my fC40 decide to do a low battery auto land in to a tree and the pocket finder got ripped off from the top loop. and I had a hell of a time finding it and just my luck it also wasnt locating at the time. and yesterday I had a power failure and dropped from about 400 feet up in to some evil trees again. and that time it ripped the back strap off the case and it went flying while it was coming down from the trees The Velcro strap I was using stayed attacked tho. lol But the pocket finder is now busted and dont locate anymore and I can hear parts rattling around inside. Lucky I can still get it replaced. But when I do im going to put it in a pouch and also going to put some foam or bubble wrap around it.

This was a suggestion from another web site member;

Use some epoxy and epoxy a snap onto the Phantom and the other end of the snap onto the Pocket Finder. Then you can snap it on and off with no worries. Most hardware stores sell small packets of snaps and the epoxy should bond great to the plastic.

Thats a good idea with the snaps. Tho be sure to mount it in a spot that it will get a good signal. and with the top facing up if you can. I noticed with mine if its to close to the belly the phantom blocks its signal and makes it not be able to send out the cell signal to good. But when mounted low on one of the legs it seemed to locate much easier.

I opened mine up tonight to see if what ever the rattling sound was in side could be fixed it turns out it is the cellular antenna that popped of the circuit board and not able to fix it. But I was able to discover that the part that protrudes on the pocket finder is the part that the cell antenna is in. So probably good to have that facing out how ever you mount it. and the gps unit in it is the same Ublox GPS chip that the phantom gps module has. But the GPS antenna in the pocket finder is a very tiny 3/8 inch square by 1/2 inch thick ceramic antenna and a lot less reception then the big 1x1 inch 2dbi antenna in the phantoms gps. Tho it looks like it would be much harder to break the gps antenna in a crash. But the cellular antenna is just a circuit board that is glued down to the main board with 6 tiny dots of conductive glue. So it don't take to much to cause it to break free. And then not have any way to send its location data. So probably a good idea to mount it some how that minimized it getting hit hard in a crash if you can help it.

I used 3m velcro this evening and when I went to remove the Pocket Finder, the velcro held tight. So tight, the Pocket Finder peeled away from the sticky side. lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj