PMU V2 vs Upgrade Kit for Phantom V1.1.1

Reaction score
So I've spent literally hours searching various forums and discussion boards for a clear and simple answer to this question. I've even emailed DJI, Dronefly, B&H Photo and others. If anyone with experience could break it down in simple terms that would be phenomenal.

Is it better to get the Upgrade Kit or PMU V2 to add the Zenmuse H3-2D to my Phantom V1.1.1?

I keep reading answers like, either one or "yes". Haha, just want to know what's recommended and maybe why. They cost the same so that's not really a factor.

Sorry for being such a total noob, but I'm having fun learning ;)

Do you want an iOsd mini? Or any other peripherals like BTU, Datalink, or lightbridge?

Do you wince at soldering and removing the Naza?

Do you know/care what your phantom weighs?

Most people would benefit more from the upgrade board, but it's a bit more work.

ElGuano said:
Do you want an iOsd mini? Or any other peripherals like BTU, Datalink, or lightbridge?

Most people would benefit more from the upgrade board, but it's a bit more work.

Tailored feedback. I love it!

Yes I would like to have the ability to expand my accessories in the future.

I get sick to my stomach when I think about soldering, removing the Naza, or even taking the top of my Phantom shell off. (would likely pay somebody to do it for me)

I care how much it weighs as it relates to battery life. Other than that not really.

Thanks a billion for any input you have based on my responses. I just want to buy whatever it is I need and get it all installed and up in the air ASAP!

BrandenB2 said:
ElGuano said:

Tailored feedback. I love it!

Yes I would like to have the ability to expand my accessories in the future.

I get sick to my stomach when I think about soldering, removing the Naza, or even taking the top of my Phantom shell off. (would likely pay somebody to do it for me)

I care how much it weighs as it relates to battery life. Other than that not really.

Thanks a billion for any input you have based on my responses. I just want to buy whatever it is I need and get it all installed and up in the air ASAP!

PMU 4 U :D

However, if you're going to pay someone anyway, you might want to get them to install the upgrade board for you instead and add a canbus port while they're at it.

OI Photography said:
BrandenB2 said:
ElGuano said:
PMU 4 U :D

However, if you're going to pay someone anyway, you might want to get them to install the upgrade board for you instead and add a canbus port while they're at it.

So if I understand you right, the upgrade board is "better" but the PMU is more for me and my fear of soldering?

BrandenB2 said:
So if I understand you right, the upgrade board is "better" but the PMU is more for me and my fear of soldering?

Correct. The PMU does require a little soldering, but only 1/4 as much as the upgrade board.

OI Photography said:
BrandenB2 said:

Correct. The PMU does require a little soldering, but only 1/4 as much as the upgrade board.
Thank you very much.

Placing my order today for the upgrade board, as from what I've gathered it's the better overall solution. Just thought I'd check and see if any weekend posters wanted to weigh in with last minute advice? Also, anyone in Utah I could pay to put this together for me? :mrgreen:

When I bought my Phantom 1.1 I also bought the ground station package. Have been doing well with storm gimbal and GoPro3+ and have decided to add in the ground station a few weeks ago. Found out the Phantom 1 does not have a CANbus port soooo... Question is this: if I buy a PMU v2 (soldering is no problem at all) I should be able to then use the ground station?

If that is correct the next issue would be has any one adapted a 5200 mah battery to get the 20-25 minute flight time?

I was going to upgrade the whole rig to the Phantom Vision 2+ but while talking to their tech support they told me they are close but not completely sure how to adapt the ground station to the P2v+. It is possible that I don't even need the ground station data link as the P2v+ already has the built in 2.4 MHz FPV....

I do like the idea of controlling the camera with the DJI app on the Andriod which I cannot do now because the GoPro uses 2.4 MHz and would interfere with the NAZA control.

Not sure what way to go.... Too many options.

ems_pilot said:
When I bought my Phantom 1.1 I also bought the ground station package. Have been doing well with storm gimbal and GoPro3+ and have decided to add in the ground station a few weeks ago. Found out the Phantom 1 does not have a CANbus port soooo... Question is this: if I buy a PMU v2 (soldering is no problem at all) I should be able to then use the ground station?

Yep, the PMU V2 replaces the voltage regulator on the mainboard, and gives your P1 1.1 a CANBus port. You can use the datalink and GS with that and it works well.

ems_pilot said:
If that is correct the next issue would be has any one adapted a 5200 mah battery to get the 20-25 minute flight time?

Yep, I' run a P1 with 5200 and 5400mah batteries. With a gimbal, gopro and datalink (and I assume you'll have OSD as well), your Phantom is going to be a bit on the heavy side, 20 minutes is optimistic. 15 minutes is right on the money. Same as a loaded out P2 with H3-2D.

ems_pilot said:
I was going to upgrade the whole rig to the Phantom Vision 2+ but while talking to their tech support they told me they are close but not completely sure how to adapt the ground station to the P2v+. It is possible that I don't even need the ground station data link as the P2v+ already has the built in 2.4 MHz FPV....

P2V+ doesn't work with the 2.4ghz datalink and GS. Some people have it running, but DJI doesn't recommend or support it. What's more, the P2V/V+ are soon getting their own native GS app (if it hasn't been released already), so you don't have to add anything more for that functionality.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4