Plug-n-play cable for Phantom 2, IOSD, Boscam TS832?

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am putting together the following components:

Phantom 2
IOSD Mini
GoPro 3+ Black
Boscam TS832 TX

I'm wondering if there is a plug and play cable that will make the installation easier.

I found this one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261567016675?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
However, it seems to replace the gimbal's USB connector with a different one. Is that an older style installation for the H3-2D? I thought the gimbal's USB connector was used in most of these installations and only the internal wires were changed.

Any advice welcome. I am adept at soldering, but I'd like to keep this as simple as possible.

Thanks!
Michael

that cable is not what you want, I'll try to explain: first off, the TS832 is not actually a Boscam transmitter although it's very frequently mislabeled as one. Apparently the guys behind Skyzone and Boscam used to be partners or something but Skyzone split away and I'm a little fuzzy on the subsequent details but they somehow make very similar equipment and Skyzone used a model number (TS832) in line with Boscam's (TS351, TS352, TS353 etc).
anyway the point being the TS832 isn't actually a Boscam and as such it does not have the exact same type of connector as Boscams, therefore you cannot use pre-made cables "for Boscam transmitters" on a TS832. You're going to have to patch/solder manually. Or return the TS832 and get a TS352 which puts out almost as much power (nearly 700mW on the first few channels). With premium antennas your FPV distance can exceed the operational distance of the Phantom itself with 500 or 600mW, you really shouldn't need 1000mW... you just need really good antennas like the kit from FPVLR.
IF you were to go get a legit Boscam, this is the plug-and-play cable you would use. Notice it does not replace any connectors on the gopro or anything, it simply plugs into the Phantom mainboard, the iOSD Mini, and then the transmitter (power and video plugs separate).

all other cables on the TS832 cable may be cut/removed since they are not used (audio)

So let's say you just want to go with the TS832 and are going to patch your own cables.
The USB connector on the gimbal (assume you have a H3-3D) brings power to the gopro and video signal back up to the Phantom mainboard. There is a 2-pair (4 cables) colored ribbon that originally came taped to the bottom of the Phantom...
The red/brown pair is power and ground. these you will patch to the power+ground input cables on the TS832 cable.
The yellow/brown pair is video and ground. These you will patch to the Video INPUT pair on the iOSD Mini cable (video signal goes from Phantom mainboard into the iOSD Mini).
You will then patch the video+ground OUTPUT cables from the iOSD Mini, to the video-in+ground on the TS832 cables (combination video +iOSD video goes out from the iOSD, into the video transmitter).

All other cables on the TS832 cable may be cut/removed since they are not necessary (audio)

Wow, thank you for the detailed explanation. That really helps a lot.
I think I'll stick with the Skyzone TS832 for now and see how it works. The wiring doesn't sound that complicated.

Got good antennas for the Black Pearl. Looks like all I need now is a TX antenna, probably from FPVLR.

It will be very exciting to have eyes in the sky now!

QYV, what kind of range do you get with your FPV setup? I have the exact same setup as you, including the fpvlr antennas.

texasderek said:
QYV, what kind of range do you get with your FPV setup? I have the exact same setup as you, including the fpvlr antennas.

I've been out to about 1000 meters and when I have the helix pointed at the Phantom properly I may get the slightest little hints of interference, and that's flying over the city. I've never really pushed any boundaries in a rural environment yet

QYV said:
texasderek said:

I've been out to about 1000 meters and when I have the helix pointed at the Phantom properly I may get the slightest little hints of interference, and that's flying over the city. I've never really pushed any boundaries in a rural environment yet

I posted a thread about my FPV range issues with your exact setup, can you give it a look when you get a chance? Also, what channel is your TS352 on? You can respond in the other thread if you want to keep it all in one place. Thanks man.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan