Plug n play battery mod

Explain a little, my small brain is not picturing your idea?

So I don't have an actual battery to give the best illustration. But in the images I threw together you see I use a Remote Control in place of the battery. It just happen to be the closest in size that was in reach prior to taking the pic's. I think I might prefer the vertical option most due to minimizing as much antenna obstruction as possible. Regardless, this is mostly to show there can be additional options a user can pick from.

1Q3b.jpg

1Q3c.jpg

And I would love to hear from all of you who try this out, not just for distance but for flight times and please share what temps, percentages and if it doesnt live up as well! This is the place to rant good or bad![emoji41]
Rant number one.....I ordered last night and did not receive my package today! :cool:

Are the extra 10 mins worth it ? You carry lots of extra weight lose agility and stability put more stress on the motors also...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So I don't have an actual battery to give the best illustration. But in the images I threw together you see I use a Remote Control in place of the battery. It just happen to be the closest in size that was in reach prior to taking the pic's. I think I might prefer the vertical option most due to minimizing as much antenna obstruction as possible. Regardless, this is mostly to show there can be additional options a user can pick from.

View attachment 51193

View attachment 51195
Yeah I see where yer goin, and I think anythings worth tryin! Hell, it may look/seem unconventional, but as far as I know no one has ever tried a bat stacked that way, which means its either gonna produce poorly, be average, or maybe, just maybe, be the new standard for how we orientate externals! We won't know til we try! Thanks Frank[emoji41]

Are the extra 10 mins worth it ? You carry lots of extra weight lose agility and stability put more stress on the motors also...

That's up for each of you to decide! But with this particular size battery I can assure you you do not lose agility, in fact you won't even know they're there.
Especially with this type of battery tray that Tom has just came up with. When 10 extra minutes becomes the new standard of your flying habits, it's really hard to go back to seeing that app start at 14 minutes[emoji41]

Reactions: Mark The Droner
That's up for each of you to decide! But with this particular size battery I can assure you you do not lose agility, in fact you won't even know they're there.
Especially with this type of battery tray that Tom has just came up with. When 10 extra minutes becomes the new standard of your flying habits, it's really hard to go back to seeing that app start at 14 minutes[emoji41]

Well when you get extra 10 minutes its hard to go back that is true ! but regarding the extra weight I can't agree even 100 grams are important when it comes to a flying machine this size :)

Reactions: dirtybum
Well when you get extra 10 minutes its hard to go back that is true ! but regarding the extra weight I can't agree even 100 grams are important when it comes to a flying machine this size :)
Unless you are flying like a crazy monkey, for any long distance flying, video, and still photography, you won't even know they are there, except for the additional 10 minutes of flight time. You aren't carrying the extra weight. The bird is! :cool:

The dynamic of the multi copter is changed either way. I'm not a purist but during a strong wind or some hard acceleration the extra weight will show its signs. I'm not trying to start a flame just want to remind you that every gram or ounce on that copter has been calculated by flight engineers in different flight conditions. If adding that much weight wouldn't have been a problem they would have made extra large batteries from the begining to have 30 minutes of flight time :)

That was convincing enough for me!
I'm done with battery mods!

I feel sarcasm in your statement but trust me I've been there with other multi copters that I own. Every time I add anything above the calculated take off weight something isn't working perfectly.
In the end everyone can do whatever he likes with his beloved toy :)

DJI did make a 28 minute battery for the P4...oops, that didn't happen. I've watch a heck of a lot of battery mod vids and I haven't seen ill affects in terms of video. I'm banking on it not being a problem and since I really need the extra flight time, I'm taking a flying leap of faith.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I feel sarcasm in your statement but trust me I've been there with other multi copters that I own. Every time I add anything above the calculated take off weight something isn't working perfectly.
Again, we aren't looking for perfect flying characteristics necessary for flying like a crazy monkey. We just need a stable gimbal for photography and FPV. None of the battery mod weight impacts the video stability, and after over 100 flights of 25-30 minures with an extra 500g of externals attached, it hasn't had any noticeable impact on the aircraft. The original W323 P3P rocks! :cool:

Yeah there was a little sarcasm there, and I was going to write that you should take your statements to a more appropriate post, but after thinking about it I think this is an appropriate post for your opinions on this subject. It gives people who are thinking about this purchase another side to the story ,it's something to think about. So thank you for adding to the post, and there's no sarcasm in that thank you that's 100% genuine!

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Dirtybum, thanks for putting this out there. Don't know that I'll spring for this or not but it's nice knowing there's the option.

DJI did make a 28 minute battery for the P4...oops, that didn't happen. I've watch a heck of a lot of battery mod vids and I haven't seen ill affects in terms of video. I'm banking on it not being a problem and since I really need the extra flight time, I'm taking a flying leap of faith.
It's not a problem, trust me! I keep my two 2800 mAh MaxAmps permanently attached (247g each), and just back up the bird into the D100 SkyRC charger, and recharge them both together in an hour, while the internal battery P3P battery is being charged separately at the same time. I have two complete setups, so I can potentially fly continuously with access to AC. There is room for up to 32 minutes of full 4K video on one 16GB 633x Lexar card, so swap cards during every pitstop, and you'll never fill a card or lose any video!

Last edited:
Not really knowing this new setup offered now, I'm not really sure how it all fits together and what connects to what but I'm sure it's self explanatory when I get it. I'm guessing all batteries hook up together for one charge with the DJI charger? Is the charging monitor really needed to monitor while charging, or does lights out on the smart battery indicate all three are done? I have the 100w charger so hopefully that will help cut down on some charge time.

Not really knowing this new setup offered now, I'm not really sure how it all fits together and what connects to what but I'm sure it's self explanatory when I get it. I'm guessing all batteries hook up together for one charge with the DJI charger? Is the charging monitor really needed to monitor while charging, or does lights out on the smart battery indicate all three are done? I have the 100w charger so hopefully that will help cut down on some charge time.
Yeah Shockwave, The two external batteries are basically one big 5.2 split and wired together and the smaller battery has a balance plug added so you can charge them all with your DJI charger. Your strap the externals to the sides of the bird w/ one wire going to the back, plug your smart battery in, turn your controller on ,turn your app on ,turn the smart battery on, when the app says ready to fly,plug the external wire into the smart battery wire and enjoy some long flights

No you don't need the charging cable and lipo checker, but it comes in real handy to check the balances before and after flight for the few pennies more[emoji41]

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31