Plug-N-Play 3DPower 2-Axis Gimbal (aka Taco Supreme)

Re: New Plug-N-Play 3DPower Gimbal (aka Taco Supreme)

Pugnacious, Send you your email and will send you two different profiles..see if that works.

Aslo if you are getting a tilted horizon when you yaw, let me know i have the solution for that. I had had it and it took me a while to figure it out but I got it taken care off.

Is there anything else I should do once I installed this thing?
I was thinking I should do a phantom compass callibration. Anything else?

go out and take some video with your new gimbal!!!

And don't forget to post them here!

That's about it

wklee said:
semaj said:
Got my Taco Supreme today... I ordered on Monday... Installed, adjusted the gimbal settings, loaded the default Taco Supreme Profile... Stays level... Did a night test... looked good... Gonna do a daytime test... It came with everything...

Remember to apply thread lock to the damper protector screw to avoid loosening.

Thanks... I didn't think of that... Will do...

wildcatter said:
So, does this gimbal come complete or not ?I would like to order one but it's not clear if you need to order the camera shell and wiring kit.

Mine came complete...

Installed and have been testing... A lot of vibration/jello issues... It's really windy here, like 20-30 mph winds, but it was opening day for the Rangers and I had to try out my new gimbal...

First opinion is that I don't like it... I read somewhere that I may need to buy some different dampeners... Could be case or it could be the wind... My blades are perfectly clean (DJI Brand)... I've tried changing the tension of the dampening screws, but I saw no difference...

I don't get the vibrations with stock gimbal installed...

Very weird...

Anyone have any ideas?

semaj said:
Installed and have been testing... A lot of vibration/jello issues... It's really windy here, like 20-30 mph winds, but it was opening day for the Rangers and I had to try out my new gimbal...

First opinion is that I don't like it... I read somewhere that I may need to buy some different dampeners... Could be case or it could be the wind... My blades are perfectly clean (DJI Brand)... I've tried changing the tension of the dampening screws, but I saw no difference...

Very weird...

Anyone have any ideas?

Get thicker rubber dampeners, the ones that come with the vision are too soft for a gimbal that size and weight.

Semaj , you flew your quad over a crowded baseball game with winds of 20-30mph? That's a horrible decision. I swear our hobby isn't going to last long with these type of flights.

Phantom 2 Vision, Ragecams 5.4 flat lens, Rotorpixel gimbal (on order #384)

semaj said:

http://youtu.be/KDDETBi-rRE

Very weird...

Anyone have any ideas?

You might try slightly lowering the power in the BaseCam GUI. If you lower it too much the gimbal won't react quickly enough. There is also the "auto"', that at least in theory calibrates it based on real weight distribution of your set-up.

Got my Taco supreme fitted tonight, I have not flown it yet as it's very late! Appears to work ok handheld, however I have a couple of questions.
1. How tight should I have the taco supplied dampers.
2. I have enabled the 7th channel hack and when sat on the ground it sits about 20 degrees up when I have my 7th Chanel fully up.
3. When I have it set on the bench powered up it appears the roll looks slightly off level.

I haven't tried any of the GUI stuff or 6 point calibration, that all looks a bit beyond me at this point!

Any advice or numbers to set would be greatly appreciated, I currently have it set to SLACKERS numbers in the first post.

I am very happy with it, however without this forum it would be a nightmare to figure out.

Cheers chaps

Awfullynicefella said:
Got my Taco supreme fitted tonight, I have not flown it yet as it's very late! Appears to work ok handheld, however I have a couple of questions.
1. How tight should I have the taco supplied dampers.
2. I have enabled the 7th channel hack and when sat on the ground it sits about 20 degrees up when I have my 7th Chanel fully up.
3. When I move my 7th Chanel fully down it goes to the vertical but jumps.
4. When I have it set on the bench powered up it appears the roll looks slightly off level.

I haven't tried any of the GUI stuff or 6 point calibration, that all looks a bit beyond me at this point!

Any advice or numbers to set would be greatly appreciated, I currently have it set to SLACKERS numbers in the first post.

I am very happy with it, however without this forum it would be a nightmare to figure out.

Cheers chaps

If it were me I would disconnect the pitch control temporarily until the gimbal is balanced just to eliminate a variable. How does it behave without pitch control?

Next, sorry but I'd connect to the GUI. You'll see a roll and pitch that should react in real-time with how you move the camera. It might be a little off. You may have to do the "calib.acc" and calib.gyro and/or load the default profile.

An easy way to level it is to push the little white button on the PCB one time (gimbal will disengage), move the gimbal in the position you like, and push the button 3 times while holding the gimbal in the new position. You will feel the gimbal rock a couple of times, and after this the gimbal should be locked in the new position.

It will take some practice to get it right.

Slacker/Noël

Cheers gents, the bouncing at fully pitched down was a binding cable.

Noel your button thingy seemed to work regarding the roll.
Slacker it reacts exactly as expected with movement.
My only thing to resolve now is the 20 degree pitch up, there must be a setting in assistant to rectify this? I am hesitant using the GUI software as other than the pitch up it is spot on.
Any advice on how tight I should have the dampers, or is that just trial and error.

Thank you again.

I have messed around in assistant and solved my 20 degree tilt up issue, with the 7th channel hack I have now set 150 -500 -700. Sits lovely and level and tilts to the vertical nicely, all I need now is the test flight, any advice on dampers would be appreciated.

The tightness will depend on how shaky the video is when you take it out for a test flight. Too tight it will defeat the purpose of the dampers and too loose and the image will shake side to side. Take it up do 30 second flight with some movement and take a look at the video if it's shaky then tight a bit and repeat. If there is a lot of Jello effect loosen a bit and repeat.

Hopefully you can hit the sweet spot without too much trial and error.

Not sure if you guys tested this already, but I did the "drag the PV2 away by hand from it's fixed GPS point and letting it go and see it go back to the original location" trick.

I got scared! It was almost like the PV2 wanted to flip over!
Not sure if this is a CG problem or if it's caused by all the extra wait.

Whatever you do.. Take care trying it!

That happened to me with the stock gimme also. I got a little too excited when showing off that feature and tugged too hard on the landing gear. Because the force of my hand was so low on the p2v I almost flipped it.

Now when I show off like that, I use my palm and place is against both "legs" on one side the the landing gear and push the entire unit away from me. This way the force I'm exerting is spread evenly against one side of the p2v.

First impressions.

Reasonably easy to install physically
Look a bit delicate under there. Some sort of plastic cover would be nice.
Surprisingly heavy.
Pain in the *** software wise. Probably straight forward for veterans but not plug and play for fools like me.
No instuctions with it. Would be no where without this forum.

Problems on test flight today
a) Tilt function seems to have stopped-need to explore this
b) not horizontal - will look at solutions on here.
c) when landing, this thing always tips now. Will have to do catches from now on
d) the general steadiness seems to be diminished and it seems to wander slightly.

got it back home and tried sorting the tilt issue and roll. Annoyingly it judders like mad when tilted down or to horizontal. lots more fiddling to be done.

Flight time 100%->20% =16m

Video on foggy day. Just managed to get above fog level
Still quite a lot of movement on my opinion-especially at faster speeds/movements.
Its def a lot better than how the vision 2 comes though.

https://vimeo.com/90634669
Currently SD (looks rubbush) , HD uploading

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj