Pleasure Pier Galveston Texas

Reaction score
Anybody on here ever request to or have flown near Pleasure Pier in Galveston? It looks like a very cool place to get some night shots of. Just curious, I am thinking about it.

Attachments

• galveston_robert_draper.png
    galveston_robert_draper.png
    979.1 KB · Views: 1,037
Reactions: Reed L
Do it. I was there prior to a cruise but didn't have my bird. I did video my ship prior to leaving thought.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Appears to be a nice place to visit.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

There is an airport that shadows it (Scholes field). You can get near it from the east. Great area for flying. The little beach off Boodecker road, Seawolf park, the elevated eastern end of Seawall blvd. Search "Texas City Dike from Seawolf Park by Drone" for an example.

Reactions: m0j0
There is an airport that shadows it (Scholes field). You can get near it from the east. Great area for flying. The little beach off Boodecker road, Seawolf park, the elevated eastern end of Seawall blvd. Search "Texas City Dike from Seawolf Park by Drone" for an example.
Have you ever contacted the tower for permission?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using PhantomPilots mobile app

No. I imagine you could if you had an account set up with DJI. I was cruising the Galveston channel one time and bumped into the geo fence. A big dialog box popped up in the middle of my screen asking me if I had permission to fly there. I was already nervous so I just freaked out, turned around, and ran for home. I couldn't get that big dialog box to go away until I landed and repowered. I stay away from the big red circles now.

No. I imagine you could if you had an account set up with DJI. I was cruising the Galveston channel one time and bumped into the geo fence. A big dialog box popped up in the middle of my screen asking me if I had permission to fly there. I was already nervous so I just freaked out, turned around, and ran for home. I couldn't get that big dialog box to go away until I landed and repowered. I stay away from the big red circles now.
What is the geo fence and the big red circles?

I have flown the seawall many times. Pleasure pier is off limits. I was filming the pier one night and the security guard from there came and found me. He told me if I fly over the pier again he was going to call Home land security on me. He will tell them you are a terrorist.
[ This was after I told him the FAA controls the air space, not him or the police.] He trumped that with the DHS. I was in the wrong though. I had made one pass where I flew over the pier.
So I told him I will stay clear of that area. But just to let you know they are serious about flying out there.
There was another guy flying the same night I was there and he got run off too. So be prepared for this.
This was about a year ago.
What is the geo fence and the big red circles?

I have flown the seawall many times. Pleasure pier is off limits. I was filming the pier one night and the security guard from there came and found me. He told me if I fly over the pier again he was going to call Home land security on me. He will tell them you are a terrorist.
[ This was after I told him the FAA controls the air space, not him or the police.] He trumped that with the DHS. I was in the wrong though. I had made one pass where I flew over the pier.
So I told him I will stay clear of that area. But just to let you know they are serious about flying out there.
There was another guy flying the same night I was there and he got run off too. So be prepared for this.
This was about a year ago.

I wonder about disabling my lights and flying at night, lol.

Yes i flew at Seawolf park. There is an off-shore ship that you can fly out to. Was my first trip over water. Funny thing, AC flew exactly the same as it does over the ground.

Have any of you seen the movie "Nightcrawler"? It's about a freelance photographer who sometimes goes past the yellow tape to get the shot. I try to fly responsibly but I feel like that guy sometimes.
Here's that Texas city dike flight:

Have any of you seen the movie "Nightcrawler"? It's about a freelance photographer who sometimes goes past the yellow tape to get the shot. I try to fly responsibly but I feel like that guy sometimes.
Here's that Texas city dike flight:

Looks like an awesome place to fly, especially with that wreck out there. May go down there this weekend...

The Harvest Moon Regatta is scheduled for October 13 (a Thursday). Around 200 sailboats will be pouring out of the marinas for an off shore race from Galveston to Corpus Christi. Excellent opportunity.
Here's another flight from our county fair

Reactions: maxwell smart
Nice flight Maxwell. Good thing the park was closed! I was flying from Addicks dam one time and I saw the police car coming up behind me on my monitor. Yikes! He let me off with just a warning.

Nice flight Maxwell. Good thing the park was closed! I was flying from Addicks dam one time and I saw the police car coming up behind me on my monitor. Yikes! He let me off with just a warning.

I all most run into that round ride, and came back around and thread the needle. It was on Sunday morning and not open yet. When they saw me it was get out of here now. And I got.

What do you mean by an account set up with DJI?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20