Please help with some basics - FPV

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm really tired of flying my Phantom 1 blindly and guessing if I got the shot or not. I have a Zenmuse 2 axis and a GoPro 3+ .

I've tried a couple of times to research and find what to buy and how to install, but I end up with a ton of info in different places and can't seem to piece them together to come up with a solution.

If anybody has a minute to explain this, I"m sure it would be helpful for others as well.

What are the options I have?

Goggles vs LCD?

Can I use the GoPro to feed video or a second camera needs to be installed on the Phantom.

I have a 2 week overseas trip coming up quickly and I really want this installed so I can take the Phantom with me and eliminate the guesswork I do when flying and trying to frame the shots.

Thanks in advance.

I went with the screen instead of the glasses and have never regretted it. Like you, I was really confused when I first decided to add FPV to my Phantom 1. Plus, I waited too long to try to get the gimbal and DJI quit supporting it so I never installed one. Since then I have purchased the Phantom II, primarily for the gimbal. I will be moving my FPV transmitter from the I to the II this weekend.

I took the easy but more expensive way out when I first added FPV. Atlanta Hobby (and probably all the others) had a complete kit that included the wiring, transmitter, receiver, screen, and frame for mounting the screen on my Phantom controller. It was not cheap then and does not appear to have gotten any cheaper at $529 (http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc/vi ... tegory=868) . I'm certain you could build your own system at a much reduced cost, probably in the $300 range (others that have done so can give you more accurate costs). You might check the package out just to see what all the components are. I do believe they are high quality components. I have enjoyed my FPV rig trouble-free for over a year now and have been really impressed with the quality and range of the video. Hope this helps some anyway. By the way, the GoPro video feeds the aircraft transmitter so you do not need a second camera.

Thanks so much, JimMoore, very helpful.

I'd love to figure out how to get it done in the ~$300 range, $529 is more than I paid for the drone!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31