Please help with erratic Phantom

Ow, please don't secure your Phantom like that and try to draw conclusions from that. Its trying to fly, that's why it does what it does.

Have you got any secsesfull flights since you bought it ? Lile stated above hook it up to PC maybe do the whole update procedure and calibration .

All looks well while connected to PC. Transmitter signal, IMU Accelerometer and Gyroscpe callibration are all OK. I've callibrated the compass as well. Still the same thing

It looks like if it goes into failsafe mode and wants to fly home after you start the motors. That is what rapid yellow flashes are. You start in Att mode, any difference when you start in GPS mode and wait until you have a GPS lock?

Ah. You have your S1 in the down position, and you probably have programmed this to Failsafe.

Agree with Ton4 try going into GPS MODE

It's not in failsafe mode. I forgot to show it in the video. In Fail Safe mode it speeds up quite a bit. The shown behavior is the same in GPS and Att mode.

Also what confuses me is that the motors stop on their own. And not neccessarily the some motor every time.

I think your transmitter is the problem. Try a new set of batteries and calibrate the sticks and switches in the naza m assistant software. Also check you have checked the correct transmitter in assistant software. I think from memory you need to choose PPM for the factory transmitter.

Ok. Just tested with mine, indeed, if you are in failsafe on startup, you can't start the motors.

But it looks like if you go into failsafe right after starting the motors.

I guess you have never flown this phantom?

I have flown it before. not great but still had some flight time. This is the link to the major fail. I think the reason for the crash is the same thing that is still causing it run weird. If one of the motors stop, that side naturally goes down, then they gyro tells the controller to straighten it, this time overlifts to the other side causing it to wobble and lose altitude.

The constant flashing yellow light is transmitter signal lost indicator. However the transmitter still keeps the connection.

Also how can one of the motors (not neccessarily the same one) stop on its own, especially if the machine is stays flat on surfice and away from interference.

This is the link to the major crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCJtAEmv2lQ

When you replaced the original Naza-M, with Naza-M lite...?? How did you program it? Are you sure you replaced the correct Naza unit for your aircraft? I believe the Phantom only takes the Naza-M unit, not the Naza Lite.

Did you check the top of the aircraft, where the GPS antenna is taped to see if it's cracked?

I'm suspecting that because it was in water, there is something else going on here, that we're not able to see. It's possible there may still be a broken soldier joint, or a cracked circuit board.

As for your crash in November-you say a prop came off?? It almost appears, in that video at about 4:19? I think(just before it spun out of control), where the aircraft completely levels off and just stops-that it lost contact with the transmitter and had entered fail safe mode. And, with all the tall building and walls around you-that's very likely. Also, there may be a source of radio interference that caused on issue.

The Phantom doesn't really care what FC you use. If you install the lite, you just load up the lite assistant. Of course, if you have an H3-2d or Pmu-v2, the lite's not the right choice.

ElGuano said:
The Phantom doesn't really care what FC you use. If you install the lite, you just load up the lite assistant. Of course, if you have an H3-2d or Pmu-v2, the lite's not the right choice.
That's what I was thinking......

I did program it with the NAZA M-Lite Assistant software. The other one for the Pahntom wouldn't even communicate. I thought about the GPS or the compass but when you're in Atti mode it shouldn't even need the GPS. There is no compass error either.

If the transmitter or the reciever is the problem, would it still cause one of the motors to stop?

I think I will be putting together a another quad with cheaper parts from China. Using the same transmitter and reciever, Naza Lite and GPS. If the new quad does the same thing, then the problem is with one of these. If it runs fine, then it is the main board, motors or the ECMs. Am I correct?

Thank you all for all your input. Glad to be on this site!

****, sorry about the crash.

I keep looking for a big pool, or sea, or any large bodies of water watching your crash video... even until the last second I didn't see the small pool. What were the chances??

I think your own diagnosis is already on the right track... btw, what was the processes that you used to dry the phantom and how long? From my reading, it seems that the motors are the most fragile when exposed to water... so maybe the one which was stopping is broken. Something lodged inside? Or some oxidation\other changes that raises resistance on that particular motor? I don't know, I'm not EE guy...

koked said:
I did program it with the NAZA M-Lite Assistant software. The other one for the Pahntom wouldn't even communicate. I thought about the GPS or the compass but when you're in Atti mode it shouldn't even need the GPS. There is no compass error either.

If the transmitter or the reciever is the problem, would it still cause one of the motors to stop?

I think I will be putting together a another quad with cheaper parts from China. Using the same transmitter and reciever, Naza Lite and GPS. If the new quad does the same thing, then the problem is with one of these. If it runs fine, then it is the main board, motors or the ECMs. Am I correct?

Thank you all for all your input. Glad to be on this site!
No. That sounds like one of the ESC's is damaged. Do you get full red and green lights? Have you checked the leads going to that engine with a volt meter with the throttle up, to see if it's receiving voltage?

This is the problem with "water landings". So much or little could be wrong-and it's very hard to diagnose.

LeoS said:
I think your own diagnosis is already on the right track... btw, what was the processes that you used to dry the phantom and how long? From my reading, it seems that the motors are the most fragile when exposed to water... so maybe the one which was stopping is broken. Something lodged inside? Or some oxidation\other changes that raises resistance on that particular motor? I don't know, I'm not EE guy...

Right after the crash I used compressed air to dry throughly. It seemed to work at first but then the motors wouldn't start. I hooked it up to the PC and saw the gyroscope and acceleration wouldn't calibrate and the values were rather stuck. I banged the NAZA as it were instructed on several videos and directions, but nothing. So I bought a Naza M - Lite and set it up with the Lite software. It fired up but my video shows its current status.

Playing around with this I realize you need more than one quad if you want areal filming as I do. So buliding one from the scatch or from the scraps off of a Phantom seem only neccessary.

What is happening in the video is quite simple, the sensors aren't absolute, so the NAZA will attempt to move the quad to a given point, speeding up/slowing down a given motor, by mounting it solid any quad will behave the exact same way.
You will notice this in flight, the Phantom will drift within a given location.

Take the props off doing any type of bench testing, once done, tilt it in all 4 directions, the lowest motor should be speeding up while the highest slows down and when level they all run about the same.

have you downloaded and flashed the Phantom default settings into your NAZA?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan