Please help two ole boys...

Reaction score
I'm asking on behalf of the other one who has just informed me he connected his battery up the wrong way round, don't ask its a long story. He goes on to say there was smoke and his Phantom is now 'Dead'... So question what has he 'fried' and where does one get spares... thanks in advance for your help...

Oh, he "let the smoke out".

The question is, did the battery itself get damaged, or the Phantom ?

If you have another battery, connect it and see. Any number of possible things could have happened, including damage to the
main board, the esc's, the Naza controller, led module.

I'm very curious as to how he managed to connect it backwards, it must have really taken some extra effort.

i hesitate to ask, but curiosity gets the better of me. how in the world did he connect the battery wrong with a keyed TX60 connector?

unfortunately there are no easy answers to the questions you pose. first off as Audaciter posted, check to see if the battery is any good. second, check to see if anything happens when the Phantom is powered up correctly. unfortunately from here on out, it is a process of elimination by component (each component tested individually).

if your friend is lucky, all he did was fry the battery, if not, it would be less expensive & a lot less headache to just get a new unit and use the old unit for spar parts (after each component has been tested that is). spare parts for the phantom, beyond the propellers, are slim picking in the extreme. not every dealer has spare parts, and those who do, only have selective parts in stock. try finding a shell, forget individual electronic components, and you'll see what i mean.

I forgot to answer the question of "where to get spares"
Ebay, is a good source. Also places like Heli-World, and other hobby shops carry parts, and other accessories for the Phantom.

Once you diagnose, and find out which part the "magic smoke" was let out of, the rest is easy.

I'm kind of surprised the battery didn't catch fire, Lipo batteries are very sensitive to being shorted.

Good Luck with the repairs.

I bet I know how it happened! He purchased batteries with the wrong connectors (like me) and replaced the connectors with the correct ones (like me), but he wired them wrong (not like me). :eek:

Audaciter said:
yeah, that could let the smoke out.
Not everyone here may realize that electronics run on smoke. Once you let the smoke out, they don't work anymore. :D

Not everyone here may realize that electronics run on smoke. Once you let the smoke out, they don't work anymore. :D

It's so true. You can't purchase the "smoke" by itself either, It's built in at the factory, and they make you buy new parts when
the smoke gets out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers