PLEASE help No fpv at any range unless it's pointed away?

Reaction score
Alright what's going on?? I'm on vacation with my new p2v plus and I'm trying to like it. It takes great pictures and the video isn't far off my gopro either. I called b&h photo and once I get back home Sunday I'm suppose to send it back for a refund. I'm trying to like this vision plus but it's hard. At any range at all as soon as I turn the quad away from me I lose fpv. I could have it 10 feet in front of me and still lose it. I don't get it? I'm even using the wifi booster app. I have 10 flights on it and everyone is the same. Also tried firmware version 1.08 and 3.04 with the same results. I would like to go to version 2.0 but can't for some reason. Is everyone elses vision like this or is something wrong?

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using my neighbors internet

Re: PLEASE help No fpv at any range unless it's pointed away

Detroit said:
Alright what's going on?? I'm on vacation with my new p2v plus and I'm trying to like it. It takes great pictures and the video isn't far off my gopro either. I called b&h photo and once I get back home Sunday I'm suppose to send it back for a refund. I'm trying to like this vision plus but it's hard. At any range at all as soon as I turn the quad away from me I lose fpv. I could have it 10 feet in front of me and still lose it. I don't get it? I'm even using the wifi booster app. I have 10 flights on it and everyone is the same. Also tried firmware version 1.08 and 3.04 with the same results. I would like to go to version 2.0 but can't for some reason. Is everyone elses vision like this or is something wrong?

I'm not sure what you mean by "turn the quad away from me." Are you saying that when you rotate the quad, you lose FPV?

At close range, FPV is less reliable. Try sending it out further away from you.

Are you pointing the top flat part of the WiFi repeater directly at the craft?

Have you tried lowering the FPV preview settings?

I'm having a similar issue to yours. I found out that it only happens in areas with lots of wifi interferences. You can check this out if this is what happened to you ( not my video) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4QP_p4flA-s . I'm having the exact issue as that guy, that is , the fpv range on the ground is short, like 20 meters, as soon as it gets airborne ,it gets worse to only 10 meter range. BUT there is no problem at all in suburban areas. You can test it in other areas to find out.

These connection problems may be with the device you're using. Others have reported that chat programs, weather apps, other things people run on their phones and tablets can cause problems. As you can imagine, if your weather app reaches out for an update while you're in the vision app, things can get messy. I had a similar problem where one app kept hitting the Phantom WiFi connection, thinking it was an internet connection. All the app knows is that you've got a wiFi connection - so it goes looking for the internet... then, it hangs. Try stopping or unloading a few things, or using a different device and see if that helps.

Before each flight I close every program on my phone. We are in northern michigan on a lake where the only Internet you have is dialup. I can takeoff over the lake and go out 600 feet and long as the rear of the quad is facing me (the battery). If I turn the quad at all to where the battery is no longer facing me I lose fpv. I have tried lowering my settings but so far nothing works. Unless the battery of the quad is facing me I have no fpv.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using my neighbors internet

Your WiFi antenna cable may be unplugged in side the Phantom. Others have seen this happen when they open up to do other mods. There are YouTube videos showing where this is and what to plug it into. I would check that first. It sounds like it may be your issue.

I was gonna say, it sounds like one of your antenna is unplugged or otherwise disconnected, there are two that connect to the WiFi unit.
I think one goes down one leg of the landing gear and the other stays inside the shell. Make sure they are both securely plugged into the WiFi unit.
It less likely but could also be a loose or broken antenna inside the WiFi range extender, there are two in there also.

There will always be some signal strength variation depending on the orientation of the craft but it should be minimal.

I've also read stories of quads being delivered missing one or more of the antennas. You should have antenna running down 3 of the 4 legs. One ribbon cable (GPS) and two wires.

D_Tshudy said:
I've also read stories of quads being delivered missing one or more of the antennas. You should have antenna running down 3 of the 4 legs. One ribbon cable (GPS) and two wires.
just checked and I do have 2. Getting ready to open it up now and see what I can find. Trying to find the videos on youtube of people opening up their phantom.

Detroit said:
D_Tshudy said:
just checked and I do have 2. Getting ready to open it up now and see what I can find. Trying to find the videos on youtube of people opening up their phantom.

The antennae going down the legs are the control antennae. The FVP antennae are inside the battery compartment, one on either side, slightly angled outwards. You will see them when you look inside the compartment. When you remove the top, the shielded silver box is the Wi-Fi transmitter. On one end you will see two gold connectors that should be firmly attached. You might also want to carefully open the Wi-Fi extender and make sure the antennae are connected in there as well.

Thanks all. I think I may have figured it out. I make my wifi box on the remote point almost all the way toward the sky no matter where its flying at. I just had it out to 500 feet and up 1024 without any loss of FPV at all! I could rotate a full 360 degrees with no problem what so ever. Its dark now so I cant do anymore testing until tomorrow. It tomorrows flight is as good as tonights flight I will not be sending this bird back. Will keep posted.

P.S. I did open her up and all the connections were rock solid!.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20