Please help a newbie: What kit do I need?

Reaction score
Hi -

I would really appreciate some advice on what I need to buy as I currently don't have a Phantom and would really like to have one.

I would like to have the Phantom 2 with H3-3D, GoPro Hero 3+, and Lightbridge. I already have an iPad which I intend to use to get video from the LB.

I'm a bit confused about what exactly I need to order because I don't understand if:
1. I need a different remote control, or is the one that comes with it compatible with LB
2. Do I need to order any particular accessories (e.g. to link the LB and the GoPro)
3. Am I missing anything else?

Second battery? Do I need the LB accessory kit? Case?

Is it possible to mount a iPad air to the remote?

Also I'd appreciate any advice on where to buy from in the UK (or Europe as I can have it shipped to the UK). I don't know if that question is allowed on this forum, so if not please PM me your recommendations :)

Thank you !

robhu said:
Hi -

I would really appreciate some advice on what I need to buy as I currently don't have a Phantom and would really like to have one.

I would like to have the Phantom 2 with H3-3D, GoPro Hero 3+, and Lightbridge. I already have an iPad which I intend to use to get video from the LB.

I'm a bit confused about what exactly I need to order because I don't understand if:
1. I need a different remote control, or is the one that comes with it compatible with LB
2. Do I need to order any particular accessories (e.g. to link the LB and the GoPro)
3. Am I missing anything else?

Second battery? Do I need the LB accessory kit? Case?

Is it possible to mount a iPad air to the remote?

Also I'd appreciate any advice on where to buy from in the UK (or Europe as I can have it shipped to the UK). I don't know if that question is allowed on this forum, so if not please PM me your recommendations :)

Thank you !

No advice on where to buy in the UK, only because I'm over here in the Americas :p BUT,
I can help you with everything else :)
First and foremost, unless you're a truly experienced flier (not just the Phantom but perhaps other crafts) I do not feel as though you should purchase the light bridge so quickly (especially having referred to yourself as a "newbie"). HD video sounds nice and all, but there is a lot of work setting up the light bridge, and YES, you do need a 14SG Futaba or something similar to use Light Bridge. It IS possible to use a 5.8 GHZ Transmitter from the Vision+ but you'll need the receiver too, and the distance will only be about 300 meters (which eliminates the whole purpose of Lightbridge). The one you get with purchasing a Phantom 2 is not the remote I just mentioned either.

You'll also need a tablet to fully utilize the Light Bridge. We weren't able to get our iPad mini to work, but the Samsung Galaxy Tab worked REALLY well. Here's the one we have: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/android- ... -84-review

We were able to get the tablet on the controller by being partially attached via velcro to the RX part of the light bridge and connecting that part of the light bridge to the controller. It's sort of an ugly setup, but it gets the job done.

I defintiely recommend a second battery. Not exactly sure what a "Light Bridge Accessory Kit" is, and definitely a case.
I also recommend LEAVING THE H3-3D off the Phantom until you've flown it for a couple of hours.

There is nothing worse than crashing a brand new, $379 gimbal - and I've heard that it costs a bit more for Phantoms and accessories over in the UK (dude could have been wrong). However, I don't really recommend prop guards, but maybe a few extra sets of props.
Here's an example of a starter kit (but they don't include the GoPro): http://www.dronefly.com/product-p/p2g-pck.htm
You can compare it to DSLR Pros here in America, who also don't include a GoPro but a bunch of other **** you don't really need (but they throw in a Futaba that you don't really need either, I love the Phantom stock controller): http://www.dslrpros.com/brands/sundance-aerial-kit.html

Cheers, and safe flying!

Here is a list of controllers that work with the Light Bridge:
DL-Supported_Remote_Controller.jpg

Is there a reason to favour one of these controllers over another when using it with the Lightbridge? Do they all control the gimbal equally well? Any recommendations? :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie