Plastic cover on FPV transmitter

Reaction score
So, what's the consensus, do you leave the clear, plastic shrink covering on the FPV transmitter? I've seen people doing both. I thought the cover should come off to release heat.

I wouldn't have thought heat dissipation would be hampered too much by the plastic wrap. As long as you are getting some airflow over it that would be enough to keep it the right side of cool. The plastic will help protect the vTX too.

I looked at that when I installed mine (yesterday!) - thought about it for a bit and left it on - mainly because it looked like it was meant to be left on. I'm using Velcro to mount the tx and figured the plastic should take the strain and not the components. On my transmitter there is a digital readout and some cycling buttons that have to face outward. The back is the circuit card which is not a flat surface. The Velcro attaches to that and the plastic seems to grab the backing on the Velcro nicely. I"ve run maybe two and a half battery cycles through it - at least 30 static minutes on the bench fiddling with the outputs and two flights - and it warms but is not anywhere near my concern threshold.

Leave it on!!!! It is there to protect the transmitter from moisture and dust. It's open at the ends, so heat can still dissipate.
The reason they did this, was to save weight. Plastic is a lot lighter than putting the transmitter into a metal case-which would then require a fan(depending on wattage).

I've flow over 100 flights with my TS-832(I think that's the number?), it's "sealed" in plastic, and works just fine. I used 2 pieces of 3M Red double sided sticky tape to attach to the rear bottom of the Phantom. Don't use Velcro!!! you can still remove 3M red sticky tape. Just roll it with your thumb, and it will come off of whatever surface it's on-even the plastic on the transmitter will not tear if you just roll it slowly-it will come off, when needed.

you'll need 2 pieces....trust me, it just works better that way. 1 piece on the Transmitter, then stick another piece on top of that piece, and stick to the bottom of the Phantom, and hold for a few seconds-done.
With only 1 pieces, it tends to come off from time to time.

havasuphoto said:
I've flow over 100 flights with my TS-832(I think that's the number?),

That's the one I have. Good to see it it survives well. Which channel do you use? I ask because I suspect there is a slight interference with the channel I selected (42).

You can get most sticky things off the plastic by gently warming them with a hair dryer. I went with Velcro instead of tape because of the close proximity of the tx connection to the body - I wanted to raise it up slightly so the card would be evenly secured/easily removed.

ladykate said:
havasuphoto said:
I've flow over 100 flights with my TS-832(I think that's the number?),

That's the one I have. Good to see it it survives well. Which channel do you use? I ask because I suspect there is a slight interference with the channel I selected (42).

You can get most sticky things off the plastic by gently warming them with a hair dryer. I went with Velcro instead of tape because of the close proximity of the tx connection to the body - I wanted to raise it up slightly so the card would be evenly secured/easily removed.
I use channel 31. Either 31 or 34 appear to be the strongest, according some charts I views. It maxes out at a little over 200mw, in real life. So, it's no where near a 600mw transmitter.
Still, I've received good video on mine, from over 700 meters away....that's good enough for me.

I took mine off, but now wish I hadn't. Are they any kits that would allow me to re-shrink wrap it?

Bunger said:
I took mine off, but now wish I hadn't. Are they any kits that would allow me to re-shrink wrap it?
Not that I know of. I believe it's Mylar...good luck.
It shouldn't hurt anything. Just don't get it wet, and blow the dust off with compress air.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik