Plastic Case Or Aluminum Case For Phantom

Reaction score
Trying to decide whether to go with the inexpensive aluminum case or the plastic GoProfessional/Tradecraft type. I see the weight on the aluminum type shows about 8 pounds where the plastic type show about 14 or 15 pounds. I realize the aluminum type won't be as durable but I like the light weight. I don't plan to use the case for other than storage and taking to launch site via vehicle and having a smooth place to launch. Pros and Cons? Thanks.

Example of aluminum case:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom-2-V ... 417b981d91

I imagine the aluminum is going to get banged up, no matter how much you baby it. The plastic will certainly last longer, in good condition. I don't know if it would be a factor at all, but maybe the aluminum could cause slight interference with calibration? That's a weak argument, so I really think it's personal preference,

Thanks for the feedback.
Based on a thief's guess of the contents, which case would be most likely stolen?

I think the biggest pro for the GoProfessional case is durability. I would have said the pro for the aluminum case is cost but the link you provided shows the cost to be about the same as the GoProfessional case. I went with the GoPro case and according to UPS, it should arrive today.

I've got one of the hard plastic type boxes for my P2, and it's extremely sturdy, but VERY heavy. I'm a pretty big, fit man, and I wouldn't want to carry it more than a few hundred metres. It's great for sitting on out in the field - not sure I'd want to do that with a flimsy aluminium case.

I'd go for the plastic one myself (in fact I did). Can't beat the protection it offers, and it's not going to get banged up like an aluminium case would. Plus, as someone else has mentioned, it's not doing to interfere with compass calibration.

Catalina36 said:
npalen said:
Thanks for the feedback.
Based on a thief's guess of the contents, which case would be most likely stolen?

The one with your guitar in it!

That's funny. Thanks for noticing the archtop. I built 95 of them over a period of a dozen years. I had to give it up a couple years back as had developed hypersensitivity to some of the wood dust and lacquer fumes. Hope to get back to it sometime in the future. Meanwhile, quadcopters are helping to fill the gap in my retirement.
My dealer: http://guitarsnjazz.com/products/palen/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers