Planning to get a FPV kit...

Reaction score
Greetings!

Yes, yet another one of these threads... :D

So, I've finally gotten to the point where I feel I'm ready to step up my game with my Phantom 2.

Did a quick search and ended up with this kit on ebay.
I'm a complete noob and have no idea, is this everything I would need for FPV and this worth it?

Tl;dr:
PACKAGE INCLUDES:
Black Pearl 5.8G FPV monitor
DJI AVL58 video downlink transmitter
DJI iOSD mini
DJI FPV Hub and cable kit
Clover leaf antenna for AVL58 TX
Connecting Instruction

I currently own P2 (not vision), GoPro Hero 3 Black and Zenmuse 3D-H3.

Thank you in advance!

Immersion 600 is smaller and lighter and no fan but does not overheat (in Ireland anyway). Some say the 7 channel BP is better for the IRC600. Mines 32 and its good enough for upto LOS flying. If you dont go for the AVL58 then you dont need their hub. There are 3rd party alternatives for the immersion. I just soldered mine in and put the IOSD mini inside. There are good YT how to's. I reccomend a matched set of 3 antennas to get the best range. The higher db the better. I'm in the UK and got mine from Horizon Antennas. Just watch that the antenna fittings match your BP.

Well, I'm just asking for a yes or no. I'll see for upgrades when I've properly learnt the ways. :)

Is that all yo need - yes. Is it a reccomeded setup - no. The stock rubber ducks with the Black Pearl are atrocious. You would do better here as a newbe if you didnt bash those trying to help you with a spot of advice. Even though it was a softish bash.

You could go a simpler route and get a Fatshark set with 250Mw Tx, Sony 600VTL camera and Goggles. Plug and play installation to any size of Lipo battery.. Combine that with the IOSD mini (easy install on a P2) and a cheap 7" chinese screen (Boscam uses exactly the same screens) with built in dvr and diversity receiver and you have everything needed for every situation. The screen is totally stand alone and switching from goggles to screen is simply taking off the goggles and watch the screen. (you can use both at the same time or just the goggles or screen) .Check the flight later on the DVR recording and learn a lot about your actual flying and handling.

I got myself this screen for christmas: https://www.banggood.com/RC732-DVR-7-5_8GHz-32CH-LCD-Diversity-Receiver-FPV-Monitor-p-947348.html

Fatshark Predator V2, IOSD mini, 2 panel antennas, 732 DVR screen, it adds up to about 500$. But you have everything you need for FPV.

2-3Km is a quite normal range with this setup. About half with the stock antennas.

IrishSights said:
Is that all yo need - yes. Is it a reccomeded setup - no. The stock rubber ducks with the Black Pearl are atrocious. You would do better here as a newbe if you didnt bash those trying to help you with a spot of advice. Even though it was a softish bash.

You've misunderstood me, by no means did I mean anything negative or derogatory against anyone. Your message specifically did not make much sense to me as I don't really have any idea what you were saying with all the brands and other abbreviations.

But thanks for the clarification, lake_flyer too!

Jourei said:
IrishSights said:

You've misunderstood me, by no means did I mean anything negative or derogatory against anyone. Your message specifically did not make much sense to me as I don't really have any idea what you were saying with all the brands and other abbreviations.

But thanks for the clarification, lake_flyer too!
Sorry for the abbreviations we do sometimes asume to much! IRC600 is refering to the ImmersionRC 600 video transmitter. BP is refering to the the Black Pearl. It is a diversity reciever, that is there are 2 recievers built in each with their own antennas. To get good coverage using say a cloverleaf on one and a directional type on the other means you will have the best chance of consistant video. It swaps between them depend on the strength of each. The BP comes with 2 identical basic rubber duck antennas which are only good for 100m or so. There are different models of BP and some are country specific in terms of their specification. The channels refered to is the range of video transmission frequency. Some sat that the specific frequencies in the 7 channel version better matches up with IRC600. There are also different antenna fittings on BP monitors - mine is SMA fitting type. If you are buying anntenas then you would need to make sure that the anntena fittings are the same as on the BP. LOS is Line of Sight when flying. Horizon are a brand of handmade anntenas in the UK. If you are in the US there are similar good anntena makers. It is important for good consistant video that the anntenas you may buy that they are best matched with the transmitter and reveiver. The folks that make these handmade ones do that. You certainly have nothing to lose for learning on to use stock anntenas as long as the fittings match. You can of course upgrade later when you are more comfortable with FPV.

Thanks for the explanation on the BP Irishsights! Never found it explained that way, and I'm in a similar position regarding looking into FPV. I purchased the IRC600mw and plan to use the BP 7ch with it. Knowing now the purpose of the two antennas on the BP, what would you recommend for the the BP and the IRC600mw? Two different styles for the BP? And what for the IRC600mw?
Just passed the test for the FCC Technician license yesterday so still learning about antenna theory and such. Thanks for the help!

phenom3030 said:
Thanks for the explanation on the BP Irishsights! Never found it explained that way, and I'm in a similar position regarding looking into FPV. I purchased the IRC600mw and plan to use the BP 7ch with it. Knowing now the purpose of the two antennas on the BP, what would you recommend for the the BP and the IRC600mw? Two different styles for the BP? And what for the IRC600mw?
Just passed the test for the FCC Technician license yesterday so still learning about antenna theory and such. Thanks for the help!
Your welcome...Although this is UK have a look at this product for the spec: http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... ions-rhcp/

For an overview of power in anntenas have a look at this: http://www.fpvuk.org/things-explained/v ... and-range/

Both URLs are great to help get an understanding of range and power in antennas. Its not all about mw. In fact you can get good video with less than 600mw. Infact the legal UK Max is 25mw. I think it may even be the same in US. Not sure though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj